Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Accord LX V6 Coupe
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been working on this for a few days now and I’m lost. I just need something to blame for this so I can replace whatever it is and move on.

I just got this car and noticed the audio system was pretty awful. Eventually i found out the aftermarket head unit was broken and causing only the passenger door speaker to work, so I tried replacing it with the factory radio, which actually sort of worked. Now, 4 of the speakers are working, but the rear deck speakers still don’t work. I’ve tried:
  • Measuring the resistance of the speakers with a multimeter. My multimeter is a piece of garbage so whatever it told me is, i’m pretty sure, irrelevant. (It read 4,000 milliohms when I held the prongs in the air and when i switched the range to full ohms and put it to the speaker it read OL. So I don’t really know.)
  • Haven’t tried this but i will once i can figure out how: Testing the speakers with a 9V battery. As i’m typing this i’m wondering about what to do because I read online that you can’t put the positive side of the battery to the negative side of the speaker, and vice versa. This would be fine if I could easily tell what side of the speaker is positive and negative, but the wires aren’t black and red, instead they’re brown with a white stripe and red with a yellow stripe? I’m in way over my head.

If I can figure out how to do the 9V battery thing, and it turns out both speakers are blown, easy. I’ll just replace them. But if the speakers work fine?? I have no idea at all.
The speakers are connected to some wires coming out of a loom that runs to this unknown black box with TDK imprinted on it. I can’t find any reliable information on this, it seems to vary a lot, but I think it’s a crossover or amplifier. How would I test this black box to know if it’s the culprit of my issues?

Assuming it IS the black box, ezpz i can find a replacement. But if it’s fine? I don’t even know what I’d do. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Registered
2000 Accord LX V6 Coupe
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just decided, hey what the hell what’s the worst that can happen. And tried to touch the 9V to the speaker without worrying about polarity.
Unfortunately the connector on the speaker is small enough to make it impossible to put a 9V in it. so idk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts