Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched this video on how to install the rear deck spoiler:

And it got me worried. See, my '98 Accord and '00 Civic both have bolt-on spoilers. (Sure, the nuts eventually rust but they're easily replaced with stainless.) The bolts make them easy to remove for detailing underneath.

The spoiler as shown in the video above appears to be:
1) Held on by two plastic snaps. In my experience Honda plastic snaps fail after 6-8 years (at least they did on my underbody spoiler kits). And they're a pain to replace.
2) Also held on in the middle by self adhesive. So that it really can't be removed.
3) A dirt trap. How do you clean the little channel along the top effectively?
4) Likely an internal dirt and water trap. Look at all the areas inside that can catch moisture and promote rust on the trunk lid.

So unless you plan on selling your Accord after 3-5 years, isn't this spoiler pretty but long-term trouble? Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitly is asking for trouble , ive had my 98 accord which is (was) on with the plastic . Im actually in the middle of trying to fix it now i think i gonna do a permanent fix but its well taped on for now lol .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had first installed it as the factory said but i removed it because it looked like crap you can see the whole tapeline. When reinstalling my spoiler I removed all the factory double sided tape and put my own evenly all around without gaps. Ill try to snap a picture later but you don't see any tape between the trunk & spoiler, it is pretty flush to the trunk.

And forgot to add you can remove the clips from the inside but it is a pain to get but not impossible.

And for the double sided tape I used a liquid that professional sticker installers use to take off stickers and its glue.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
This is definitely a job for a professional install. If you screw up the hole locations your trunk lid is ruined. Personally, I think the lip spoiler looks tacky at best and crappy all the time. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is definitely a job for a professional install. If you screw up the hole locations your trunk lid is ruined. Personally, I think the lip spoiler looks tacky at best and crappy all the time. That's just my opinion.
If you know how to align the template there should be no issue. This is not rocket science doesn't need to be difficult unless you make it difficult by not following instructions. The holes don't have to be dead on because the clips move about 1/8" side to side to align the spoiler.

Really don't be scared about it, it's not that big a deal.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you know how to align the template there should be no issue. This is not rocket science doesn't need to be difficult unless you make it difficult by not following instructions. The holes don't have to be dead on because the clips move about 1/8" side to side to align the spoiler.

Really don't be scared about it, it's not that big a deal.
Well, it may not be a big deal for you, but I have no mechanical ability what so ever. I have to stop and think, "righty tighty, lefty loosey", to open a jar of pickles. Besides I think having aerodynamic effects on a street car looks silly. Whenever I see a spoiler on a car it evokes this in my mind. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, it may not be a big deal for you, but I have no mechanical ability what so ever. I have to stop and think, "righty tighty, lefty loosey", to open a jar of pickles. Besides I think having aerodynamic effects on a street car looks silly. Whenever I see a spoiler on a car it evokes this in my mind. :)
That's a wing not a deck lid spoiler, two different things. The deck lid spoiler is purely for looks not aerodynamics purposes.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
That's a wing not a deck lid spoiler, two different things. The deck lid spoiler is purely for looks not aerodynamics purposes.
It's a deck lid spoiler all grown up. :banana:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.