Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was able to have a friend step on/off my rear driver side door to replicate the noise. I got underneath and it seemed to be roughly coming from the circled part.

Is that the sway bar link and does everything else add up?

·
8th Gen Believer
4,000 Posts
Yes. I had the same problem going over speed bumps and it turned out to be swaybar endlinks.

Reactions: ninjachachi

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,141 Posts
Yes. Yours don't seem OEM, replaced once before? Also check the sway bar bushings, that can cause noises too.

·
Pilot without a plane
365 Posts
That's the sway bar end link. I recommend you jack up the rear so that tire is off the ground. Then grab the tire at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions and try to wiggle and see if there is play in the top of the wheel.

The upper control arm also has the upper ball joint on one end. When the ball joint goes bad, there will be play in it which could cause clunking noise going over bumps.

I just had to replace one of mine. More details and pics in my thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Yours don't seem OEM, replaced once before? Also check the sway bar bushings, that can cause noises too.
"Sway Bar Link Or Kit REAR LEFT" replaced according to service records 100k+ miles ago (I will be hitting 250k this week.) What should I be looking for when checking sway bar bushings? Everything is pretty rusty with this car being through 15 Minnesota winters, so I'll need a little direction in terms of this. Thanks for your help.

That's the sway bar end link. I recommend you jack up the rear so that tire is off the ground. Then grab the tire at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions and try to wiggle and see if there is play in the top of the wheel.

The upper control arm also has the upper ball joint on one end. When the ball joint goes bad, there will be play in it which could cause clunking noise going over bumps.

I just had to replace one of mine. More details and pics in my thread.
Thanks TX, what will my route be if there is/isn't wiggle in the top of the wheel when I get it jacked up? Hoping I don't have to replace my upper control arms, either pretty expensive or pretty tough to do with the amount of rust I have.

·
Pilot without a plane
365 Posts
The upper control arm wasn't very expensive and it was easy to replace. There are tons of "arms" on our rear suspension. Chances are, most of the others are still good.

I would support it on a jackstand and get under there to wiggle things. See what has play. My car's front sway bar end links have been replaced, but my rears are original.

If you wiggle the wheel and there is only play up and down, it's likely the upper control arm. If the rear wheel also has play side to side (grabbing it at 3 and 9 o'clock positions), then I'm thinking wheel bearings.
It may help you to have someone else so one person wiggles the wheel while the other can look underneath to see what moves. I was able to do mine by myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts