Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend while on the freeway, I got rear-end by another car.

Felt pretty hard ... my phone sitting in the passenger seat went flying and hit the dash. The manual sunshade for the sunroof also got jerked half open.
Luckily I wasn't hurt and neither was the person who rear-ended me.

Unfortunately the person who rear-ended me is uninsured, so will have to see what happens.

The bad stuff...
- the right exhaust got pushed down a few inches. As you can see in the pictures, it's a few inches lower than the left one
- that patch of damage near the bottom middle is weird ... it got pushed in and feels conformed to some hard metal behind the bumper. I think perhaps the accident crushed the foam behind it and hit the bumper beam
- in the last picture, the right side of the bumper was ripped out of the mount/screw near the trunk edge. The plastic is broken and damaged. I think this means a new bumper right? if you look closely, the top left corner of the screw hole edge in the bumper is broken and the lower right has a hole

·
Registered
338 Posts
The worse part is your car being silver, hard to get a paint match. Plus there may be damage to the beam under the bumper.

Hate to say it, but I would find where the person lives and cause them just as much or more trouble. Just sayin', they shouldn't be on the road. If you rear ended them your insurance would make everything right for them, but now your stuck. Life ****s : (

·
06 Accord Coupe 5spd
14 Posts
That's awful dude. The worst thing is it was on the freeway. Everyone is going straight, it is not that hard to figure out how to drive on the f'in freeway. Luckily you weren't hurt though. Gotta find a silver lining.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just because someone is uninsured does not relieve them of liability for damages. If you are insured then you have a responsibility to contact your insurance company immediately after the accident and to file a police report. After that it is your insurance company's job to assess damages and make repairs and to recoup their costs from the other motorist, insured or not.

If you did not contact your insurance company you could very well lose your insurance and you have put yourself in a very difficult situation for getting the damages repaired. Also, your legal standing in the matter is questionable.

Considering you were hit in the rear and thus were strictly without fault I would have to wonder why the hell you did not immediately call the police and your insurance company?

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's awful dude. The worst thing is it was on the freeway. Everyone is going straight, it is not that hard to figure out how to drive on the f'in freeway. Luckily you weren't hurt though. Gotta find a silver lining.

The freeways in the LA CA area can be tricky, especially to people not used to them. Worst and heaviest traffic in the country. Anytime during day or night you can be driving 60 mph or whatever for 10 miles and then all of the sudden traffic in front of you can either suddenly hit brakes and slow down to 20 mph, less, or can suddenly be stopped dead like a parking lot. I've seen accidents happen like this there on the 405. If someone is texting, looking at printed directions or whatever for a few seconds it's easy to look up too late and hit the braking or suddenly stopped cars in front of them.

My guess is that this it how the OP was hit, right? You were braking for a sudden unexpected freeway slow down? And sorry to hear about your bad luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Had this happen to me last year at a redlight. Pain in the ass when ever you get hit. Luckily my guy had insurance, just real crappy ones though. Insurance only wanted to pay for an aftermarket bumper because of age. However the fit was garbage and I argued everything with them so I got a new bumper. Make sure they realize aftermarket won't fit right and that the shop you go to will fight for a new or newer one from a place like LKQ or somewhere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't see where he said he didn't?
I suppose, the question is, what relevance does the other motorist's insured status have on this accident? The only answer I have is that if my insurance were strictly collision (meaning it covers the damage I did to their vehicle not mine).

I forgot not everyone has comprehensive insurance on their car; I know as a younger man I certainly found collision to be sufficient but then I was driving much older and cheaper cars then, too.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,689 Posts
Being in Cali, you need uninsured coverage. Too many illegals here. They will generally take off after they hit you if their car is still mobile.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Being in Cali, you need uninsured coverage. Too many illegals here. They will generally take off after they hit you if their car is still mobile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08hO00S7ng
That's the very first thing that came to my mind when I read uninsured. I was thinking Illegal as there are millions in LA and thousands more arriving daily, and they're usually not insured and they frequently cause accidents.

Unbelievably, they just passed a law in California last week to give driver's licenses to illegals. And an illegal with a driver's license must now by law, be treated exactly like an American citizen by employers and potential employers in California. I wish Americans could go to Mexico or any other country illegally and get instant privileges like that, I'd be gone.

·
2020 CBP Touring
694 Posts
That's the very first thing that came to my mind when I read uninsured. I was thinking Illegal as there are millions in LA and thousands more arriving daily, and they're usually not insured and they frequently cause accidents.

Unbelievably, they just passed a law in California last week to give driver's licenses to illegals. And an illegal with a driver's license must now by law, be treated exactly like an American citizen by employers and potential employers in California. I wish Americans could go to Mexico or any other country illegally and get instant privileges like that, I'd be gone.
They elected Brown twice.... Gotta love those crazy Democrats....:lmao:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The freeways in the LA CA area can be tricky, especially to people not used to them. Worst and heaviest traffic in the country. Anytime during day or night you can be driving 60 mph or whatever for 10 miles and then all of the sudden traffic in front of you can either suddenly hit brakes and slow down to 20 mph, less, or can suddenly be stopped dead like a parking lot. I've seen accidents happen like this there on the 405. If someone is texting, looking at printed directions or whatever for a few seconds it's easy to look up too late and hit the braking or suddenly stopped cars in front of them.

My guess is that this it how the OP was hit, right? You were braking for a sudden unexpected freeway slow down? And sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Yup, that's exactly what happened. Traffic suddenly stopped ahead. I stopped fine, the car behind me did not.

I have comprehensive on my car and also uninsured motorist deductible waiver. I am working with my own insurance company on this now. I should not have to pay my deductible cause I bought the waiver, and my insurance company will go after the other party.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,689 Posts
Traffic suddenly stopped ahead. I stopped fine, the car behind me did not.
That's the only reason why I don't tint my windows. I commute against traffic so I don't stop a lot but traffic does bottleneck at certain points and we stop suddenly. Cars behind can see through my windows and not smash into me.

I already have enough injuries as it is :paranoid:

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Stopped short!!

Glad you are alive and have the means to fix this. I have insurance so I don't have to deal with idiots, uninsured, or otherwise irresponsible "drivers".

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,497 Posts
I suppose, the question is, what relevance does the other motorist's insured status have on this accident? The only answer I have is that if my insurance were strictly collision (meaning it covers the damage I did to their vehicle not mine).

I forgot not everyone has comprehensive insurance on their car; I know as a younger man I certainly found collision to be sufficient but then I was driving much older and cheaper cars then, too.
You are confused on the insurance terms. You mean to say liability only coverage, not collision coverage. Liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage pays for damage you cause to another party. Collision coverage pays for damage to your own vehicle caused by colliding with another object. Comprehensive coverage is fire, theft, vandalism, falling objects, and animals causing damage to your own vehicle.

The relevance of the other party having insurance is important for your insurance carrier. If you have collision coverage, you can pay your deductible and have your insurance company repair the vehicle. They will pursue the other party for you and reimburse your deductible when they collect from the other carrier. Some carriers may waive your deductible if the other party has insurance because they know they will be able to recover their payment easily. If the other party does not have insurance, and you have uninsured motorist deductible waiver coverage, your insurance carrier can waive your deductible (as long as you identified the uninsured motorist), and they will pursue the other party directly to recover their costs. If the other party has insurance you can choose to file a claim under their carrier and pursue your property damage claim through their liability policy without filing a claim with your carrier or paying a deductible.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,497 Posts
Just because someone is uninsured does not relieve them of liability for damages.
True.

If you are insured then you have a responsibility to contact your insurance company immediately after the accident and to file a police report.
The insurance policy says you have a duty to report a claim in a timely manner. They do not define the word timely. But the general rule is sooner rather than later, so you don't risk being involved in another accident with additional damage, or by causing more damage with rust build-up, etc. You are not required to file a police report, unless you are involved in a hit and run accident and you are pursuing a UM injury claim against your carrier.

After that it is your insurance company's job to assess damages and make repairs and to recoup their costs from the other motorist, insured or not.
True.

If you did not contact your insurance company you could very well lose your insurance and you have put yourself in a very difficult situation for getting the damages repaired. Also, your legal standing in the matter is questionable.
Completely false. Your insurance policy will not cancel for not filing a claim. There is no statute on a first party property damage claim under your collision coverage. Filing a claim in a timely manner is the responsible thing to do. Most states have a two year statute for filing a third-party bodily injury claim and a three year statute for filing a third-party property damage claim. Some state statutes are longer, some are shorter. Third-party refers to filing a claim against the negligent party. Your legal standing is only affected if you fail to protect the statute of limitations by either setting your claim before the applicable statute expires, or filing a lawsuit against the negligent party before the applicable statute expires.

Considering you were hit in the rear and thus were strictly without fault I would have to wonder why the hell you did not immediately call the police and your insurance company?
Not all rear-end accidents are fault-free on the person being hit from behind. Unsafe lane changes or staging an accident by slamming on the brakes for no reason can shift liability to the person making the unsafe move to cause them to be rear-ended. Of course in this case, the original poster did neither.

·
New Yorker at heart
134 Posts
Whenever possible I stay my distance away from other drivers and it's one of my pet peeves is when at stoplights they decide to stop behind me instead of pulling to the other lane

1 - 20 of 26 Posts