Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
8th Gen 6-6 Red Coupe
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I did the old dental floss removal trick and removed the h from my trunk. Awesome.

Except there are now two small guide holes left in its place. So today I scouted three different body shops for some help...

They quoted a minimum of 1k to fix it, claiming the whole trunk lid had to be removed, sanded, possibly welded... Ect...

Is there really no other way?

I don't want the h badge. Please don't turn this thread into a "put it back on and deal with it type deal" or similar. Thanks.

·
Elvira - the car
3,517 Posts
Seriously, why don't you replace it but change the color to match the car? Basically the charge from the bodyshop may have been high to deflect you from doing the job there. Dunno. But it is a hole,rather two, that need proper filling such as welding or whatever, else bondo will eventually fall out from all the jarring occurring when closing the lid. My guess anyway.

That probably didn't help but think about it anyway.

·
Registered
455 Posts
who knows there might be some cheap way to do this on youtube. i kinda expected a 500 estimate not 1k. if you wanna go cheaper call a hole in the wall paint shop with no reputation. a lot easier to get another badge like transformers or something to cover up the holes.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
I don't think that sounds crazy given the labor. You definitely want that welded then the finishing to get it ready for paint. I would have them shoot the whole trunk, why risk a blend you aren't happy with?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I work in a body shop and that's not too unreasonable. remove trunk and take it apart...lining, electrical etc. weld holes closed and grind it down. get filler over the area to smooth it all out. prime and paint, then relcear the entire trunk so it all blends.

you can get a couple clips and paint them to colour match and shove them in the holes. but to make it look like the holes were never there is gonna take some cash.

·
8th Gen 6-6 Red Coupe
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn. Well I guess I'll order a new h for my car. Spending well over that on the engine right now, which is the priority.

I don't mean to come off completely with no understanding, but it sucks that it would cost that much just to remove what looks like a snake bite.

·
HK Moderator
14,079 Posts

·
8th Gen 6-6 Red Coupe
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to the muffler shop. Said he could weld a plate behind it for me, so I can then bondo it, sand it, and paint it.

There's even kits:
No Weld Hole Repair Kit

Edit: yes. I really hate the Honda logo that much.

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
Take a pic after you finish. Would love to see how it came out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Tack a piece of sheet metal behind it. Don't use bondo, use a short strand fiberglass filler Or all metal filler. Sand it down. Primer the area. Wet sand the whole trunk and have a paint shop blend in the area and re clear the whole trunk. You don't need to paint the whole trunk unless you've got a lot of metallic in your paint or maybe pearl etc. if it where me I'd grab a a trunk lid in my color so I could take my time with it. I'd prefer the h gone too but it hasn't bugged me enough to do it yet. I'm thinking $300 to blend and re clear the trunk then you wet sand and buff.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So this weekend I did the old dental floss removal trick and removed the h from my trunk. Awesome.

Except there are now two small guide holes left in its place. So today I scouted three different body shops for some help...

They quoted a minimum of 1k to fix it, claiming the whole trunk lid had to be removed, sanded, possibly welded... Ect...

Is there really no other way?

I don't want the h badge. Please don't turn this thread into a "put it back on and deal with it type deal" or similar. Thanks.
NO! remove, fill, and blend paint should NOT cost that much. At my dealer we have a guy that comes around to repair minor bumper damage and such. Painting an entire bumper runs people about $300 and some employees i work with have had it done to their cars without issue going on 3-4 years now. However some of those "lot paint job" guys typically use a hardener in their paint that cause the paint to chip away once the bumper has been hit again. Seeing as its the decklid that you want painted if it gets damage then you have already been into a fairly harsh accident. keep shopping around.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Or get some small black round stickers :D
It could work. My buddy owned an srt4 back in the day and a lot of those guys remove the awful wing and put on some body colored plugs. It works but it not a real fix.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Geeze man. I might try some JB quick or weld, sand it, and add touch up. You can do a quality touch up job yourself. I guess you gotta do what you like best in the end. But a grand is a lot of cash. You could do so much more with it than have 2 very small holes filled.

You could try it yourself and then go the $1,000 route if you're unhappy with the results.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,952 Posts
I Agree !

I intend to do the same H emblem removal. Back in the day it was called "shaving the trunk."
I've had it done more recently and for way less than $1,000 !!!! The body shop will probably want to shoot the trunk but it shouldn't be that complicated.

·
Black Coupe v6 EX-L '12
49 Posts
It could work. My buddy owned an srt4 back in the day and a lot of those guys remove the awful wing and put on some body colored plugs. It works but it not a real fix.
Why not :dunno:
Unless u keep cars for a couple years or so and trade them in. Personally i wouldnt pay much to cover the holes.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Why not :dunno:
Unless u keep cars for a couple years or so and trade them in. Personally i wouldnt pay much to cover the holes.
Just because it looks tacky. More tacky than the original emblem is. Its like ok what was suppose to be there..oh yea the emblem. But I get your drift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts