Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where this is at, if there is one?

I'm asking because when doing work on the rear end of the car, such as doing brakes, I'd like to lift up the rear end uniformly rather than one side at a time. I know there's the tow hook at the very back, but that doesn't seem like a logical location to do that. Is there something more inward to the middle of the car on the rear that is the rear lift point?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Tow hook is as structural as it gets, it also happens to be conveniently centered in the middle. Noone will judge you if you go for it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can jack it up from the rear subframe, which is pretty much where its jacked up in the picture you provided. I haven't had to jack it up in the rear YET but I'll let you know in a few days/weeks when I need to work on the rear suspension.

My friend purchased a 2019 Nissan Sentra. I couldn't find a place anywhere on the thing without removing the entire underbelly of the car to jack it up for a basic oil change, so I decided to jack it up on the side. The car is so CHEAPLY MADE that the side jack points just crumple and that's supposed to be OK? :oops:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Yep, the tow hook is fine. When I had my '02 that's where I'd jack it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if the tow hook is the spot to jack up the rear of the car, then how tall of a jack does one need? I know my current jack isn't tall enough to jack up the rear end of my car.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
So if the tow hook is the spot to jack up the rear of the car, then how tall of a jack does one need? I know my current jack isn't tall enough to jack up the rear end of my car.
yep, you can get a jack with a vertical piece that has the extension, which will help.

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I'd need a jack better than my 2 ton 12" Autozone jack for that to work, lol.

The jack in that video looks like it is 18".

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
154 Posts
I've used the hook many times.. I have a Craftsman 13 ton bottle jack that I use with a piece of wood on it to make it more stable. If u want, right behind the hook is another solid spot. Aloha ❤🤙💪😊

·
Cruising in Montana
4,109 Posts
I know my current jack isn't tall enough to jack up the rear end of my car.
I have the same problem when jacking up the rear at the tow loop. What I do is put 4 pieces of (I think) 3/4" plywood on the ground, then put the jack on top of the wood. Just allow for the jack to move forward/backward.

·
To Infinity and Beyond
82 Posts
I jack the rear up at the tow loop (ETCG recommends this place too) using a Harbor Freight Daytona 3 Ton floor jack at its max lift height of 20 in

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same problem when jacking up the rear at the tow loop. What I do is put 4 pieces of (I think) 3/4" plywood on the ground, then put the jack on top of the wood. Just allow for the jack to move forward/backward.
When I did this last, the jack sunk into the wood. Then again, I used 2*6 wood planks. I think the wood I used was just too soft.

What kind of wood is the plywood you have made out of? Pine, oak, redwood?
I jack the rear up at the tow loop (ETCG recommends this place too) using a Harbor Freight Daytona 3 Ton floor jack at its max lift height of 20 in
I've been eyeing those HF Daytona jacks as well. IIRC, the low profile jack I'm looking at is $148?

Is 20" sufficient to lift up the rear? How high up off the ground will the rear tires be?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
To Infinity and Beyond
82 Posts
Is 20" sufficient to lift up the rear? How high up off the ground will the rear tires be?
Unfortunately not very high. I guess maybe an inch or so off the ground. If you're interested, I can jack my car up all the way tomorrow and take a picture so you know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately not very high. I guess maybe an inch or so off the ground. If you're interested, I can jack my car up all the way tomorrow and take a picture so you know for sure.
Actually, I think this would be fine for me. Since my car is lowered, a concern of mine, is that there is too much stress placed on the (opposite side) end link bracket when lifting the car one side at a time causing them to fail (the whole reason why I started this thread, lol).

Even if the tires is up off the ground about an inch when lifting from the rear tow hook, and I need to get the car higher up than that, it would still mean that there is no stress being placed on the bracket if I need to get the car up higher than that. No stress means no snapping.

Left PN#: 52340-S84-A01
Right PN#: 52345-S84-A01

#10 in this image

This is my passenger side bracket. It's been snapped for a bit and my rear end is quite a bit squirrely since the rear end is basically "non existent" in regards to sway bar.

·
To Infinity and Beyond
82 Posts
Sounds good. Don't need to pay full price for the jack if you end up getting the one from HF. They run a lot of coupons.

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
154 Posts
lol

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Buy a jack from Harbor Freight?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts