Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need opinions from those who have replaced the rear main seal. I removed the torque converter inspection cover today to take a look because there is a blotch of oil near that area. I know what this could be so I went to take a look. Some oil seemed to have leaked out through the rear main seal at some point, however, it is not leaking now and is bone dry. Has any experienced something like this before where the rear main seal leaked then stopped leaking? I suppose it has something to do with the dry and cold winter months in the snow belt here. I have not moved away from 5w-20 synthetic oil since the car was new.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would say keep an eye on it and check your oil regularly, maybe every time you fill the tank.

If it doesn't return for a while I would say you're in the clear.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
Need opinions from those who have replaced the rear main seal. I removed the torque converter inspection cover today to take a look because there is a blotch of oil near that area. I know what this could be so I went to take a look. Some oil seemed to have leaked out through the rear main seal at some point, however, it is not leaking now and is bone dry. Has any experienced something like this before where the rear main seal leaked then stopped leaking? I suppose it has something to do with the dry and cold winter months in the snow belt here. I have not moved away from 5w-20 synthetic oil since the car was new.
Any chance the sump was a overfilled a bit?

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No overfilling. I checked the oil level also. It is not leaking now. I understand how expensive this job can be, so just praying it'll last a little longer

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
?

Do you mean 200000?

If you're that high, I wouldn't worry. If it leaks again, switch to high mileage oil that has some seal swellers in it and it should be good to go for another 50K maybe more.
right sorry, 202000, minus 1 zero. I will probably have to start using high mileage soon or a bottle of seal additive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought my main rear seal was leaking on my V6 6mt. I pulled the inspection plate and oil leaking from there and there was oil in the bell house. But it turned out that the oil pump in my case was leaking. It ran down the side of the engine, than across the oilpan and then leaked between the engine and tranny. I just had the clutch replaced like 6 months before and it was clean and dry. After I reseal the oil pump no more leak

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you actually take the whole oil pump out and replace the 1 single o-ring behind it? I do have a leak by the vtec solenoid, I'm wondering if this is it but that's external, not within the bell housing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually I had someone else do it, Its been awhile but I believe you have to pull the oil pump to do it but I remember the tech showed the pathway of the leak. It leaked from the middle of side the engine ran back down towards the oil filter housing and then along the top of the lip of the oil pan to the rear main area. It tripped me out i was positive it was the main rear seal

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,459 Posts
I've never seen a leak fix itself. But if the leak isn't bad enough to where you have to add oil between changes, I certainly wouldn't go through all the work changing the rear main seal to fix it. If you leave a piece of cardboard under the engine, will it make a spot? Being OCD about oil leaks is one thing, but that's a big one. I see evidence of a leak on my cover when I drain the oil, but it's definitely not enough to show up on the dipstick, or even leave a spot on the driveway, so I'm not about to pull the transmission out to change the seal.

Actually I had someone else do it, Its been awhile but I believe you have to pull the oil pump to do it but I remember the tech showed the pathway of the leak. It leaked from the middle of side the engine ran back down towards the oil filter housing and then along the top of the lip of the oil pan to the rear main area. It tripped me out i was positive it was the main rear seal
That may be where my leak is coming from too. I didn't see any oil under the cover either. I also remember seeing something about bolts on the side of the engine leaking too. I'm trying to pinpoint the source, but haven't yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The garage floor under the car is clean and my oil dipstick doesn't even drop a millimeter. I seem to recall seeing this oil leak from the middle of winter when it was really cold. There is nothing leaking there now so I'm not going to touch it. I will replace the vtec solenoid gasket though behind the vtec solenoid assembly. That area constantly stains up with oil after I last blasted with brake clean.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
The seal will leak again if it is the rear main seal. It's spinning as the crank spins, and may end up in position where it won't leak. I had this happen on my J32A2 in my TL-S. I ultimately had to have it replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts