Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am actually doing this as a favor to my friend. She has a 2007 Accord sedan and her rear speakers were stolen quite a while ago. The thief actually cut the wires to take out the speakers...I am going to prepare a write up on how to reinstall the speakers but unfortunately...I don't have a 7th gen Accord.

I am new here and I am hoping someone would shed me with some light on this. I have done some research and I realize the rear speakers have a different type of connector than regular 6x9s. Currently I have a set of Rainbow 6x9 and I am going to give them to her. So I will just go by regular wires and connectors setup.

The question for wiring, how many wires are there in the black cord shield that eventually go to the connector and then onto the speakers? what are the colors of the wires and which one is positive and which one is negative? what is the approximate gauge of the wires (not black shield)?

The question for the mounting...is there special adapter to fit the 6x9s? The speakers should be mounted from inside of the trunk? or from the top of rear interior deck? How would the bolts and nuts installed?

I would feel really grateful if someone can answer my questions. This friend has been really nice and important to me and I wish I could do something for her. I don't think this job is gonna be tough for a girl as long as I put every single detail and photos in the write up.

Thanks for any input in advance.:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can't speak to the wiring part of your question, but the rear deck speakers drop in from the top. there are 4 bolts that hold 'em in, and they're very easy to install. The factory grilles just pop off with clips, and if the clips get damaged they're readily available, probably at the local auto parts store. Check this thread from Hillstones about speaker install:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33700

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't speak to the wiring part of your question, but the rear deck speakers drop in from the top. there are 4 bolts that hold 'em in, and they're very easy to install. The factory grilles just pop off with clips, and if the clips get damaged they're readily available, probably at the local auto parts store. Check this thread from Hillstones about speaker install:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33700
Thank you very much. I had checked this thread before. From the pictures he took I can see only two wires go into the connector? just wanted to make sure.

I know there are four bolts to mount the speaker but how would the nuts be tightened? sorry I don't understand it but you can't work on both the bottom and top sides of the speakers at the same time? Or is there special bolts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Metra 72-7800

Grab a pair of these adapters. Plug into the stock wire plug and then you plug the new leads into the 6x9s. They come in pairs....Amazon or just google them.

Reuse the bolts...no nuts under the deck...they are built into the deck so its a quick swap. Just need a small socket wrench and you'll be in and out in under an hour. You might want to run something to seal the speakers against the deck. You can go under the deck from the trunk and find the little white clips that hold the grill on and squeeze those to free the grill. Easier than prying it off from the top.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Metra 72-7800

Grab a pair of these adapters. Plug into the stock wire plug and then you plug the new leads into the 6x9s. They come in pairs....Amazon or just google them.
That'd be great if the factory plugs were there, but an earlier post stated that the wires had been cut.

I just went out and looked at the setup in my car. The 2 wires for the rear speakers are blue (negative) and green (positive), and the terminals on the speaker are 2 different sizes - a narrow one and a wide one. The blue wire goes to the narrow one and the green wire goes to the wide one. I have the factory plugs and use the adapters that Pilk speaks about - I'm just tracing the wires from the cord shield in and out of the adapter.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metra 72-7800

Reuse the bolts...no nuts under the deck...they are built into the deck so its a quick swap. Just need a small socket wrench and you'll be in and out in under an hour. You might want to run something to seal the speakers against the deck. You can go under the deck from the trunk and find the little white clips that hold the grill on and squeeze those to free the grill. Easier than prying it off from the top.
Thanks a lot! However, can you please tell what is the spec of the bolts? I wanna buy the bolts for her too coz what I will give to her is a whole kit which doesn't require any additional items to be purchased by herself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That'd be great if the factory plugs were there, but an earlier post stated that the wires had been cut.

I just went out and looked at the setup in my car. The 2 wires for the rear speakers are blue (negative) and green (positive), and the terminals on the speaker are 2 different sizes - a narrow one and a wide one. The blue wire goes to the narrow one and the green wire goes to the wide one. I have the factory plugs and use the adapters that Pilk speaks about - I'm just tracing the wires from the cord shield in and out of the adapter.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much especially for the wire colors! I will just use the wires I have along with the two plugs to the leads as you mentioned (one small and one wide).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks a lot! However, can you please tell what is the spec of the bolts? I wanna buy the bolts for her too coz what I will give to her is a whole kit which doesn't require any additional items to be purchased by herself.
THAT I don't know. Maybe someone else can chime in on that part. I remember they took a 9mm wrench, and the thread was pretty fine and they had a tapered end so they dropped into the threaded holes before they would start to tighten. Maybe Honda is the best source for those - they CAN'T be expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts