Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I can hear noise from the rear left while driving over small bumps. I can see movements at the links and hear noises when shaking the sway bar. I plan to replace the links and bushings.

For those of you who did this, any tips? It looks easy.
Anything else could have been making the noise from the rear?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Many noises can come from the rear, none of them good. :0

If you have not done so already, consider the TL sway bar swap, I did it when I first got the car, IIRC not difficult.

·
Super Moderator
6,396 Posts
You most likely do not need to replace the bushings that clamp down on the anti-sway bar. It might or might not take a long time for you to replace them depending on how rusted they are.

You will need:
- allen wrench, a better choice would be allen key on a socket so you can use a ratchet with it
- smaller size vise grip
- 14mm shallow socket
- lubration fluid, pb blaster, acetone/transmission fluid mix.. etc

I suggest you start spraying the links everyday, a week before you start the job. The hardest part is getting the nut to turn and not strip it. You need to clamp the vise grip on the back side of the link on the round collar very tight then attempt to turn the nut with the 14mm socket.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
The links could just be loose and need tightening.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I replaced the links yesterday. The job turned out to be much more difficult than it appears. @t-rd is spot on.

The main problem was that the bolts were very hard to take off. With the 5mm allen wrench in place, I was able to loose the bolts. But removing the bolts is another story. As the bolts got loose, they started to wiggle. The allen wrench easily could strip the hex hole!

Unfortunately, I don't have a thin jaw vise grip to prevent rotating. I had to cut the bolts off!

Due to limited access space, I had to rely on a hacksaw blade (yeah, just the blade.) to cut one off. The other two, with the hacksaw. It took me more than 1 hour to cut the links off. While at it, I kept thinking about those 2 NY jailbreakers recently in the news. They basically used 1 hacksaw blade to escape.

The following are what I've learned:
(1) Thin jaw vise grip seems a critical holding tool for this job.
(2) be prepared to cut.
(3) This tool came handy for this job: GearWrench x-beam XL 14mm racheting wrench.

The rear suspension noise is gone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts