Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Snicker Dog
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why this is offered on the Sedan and not the Coupe as a dealer installed accessory?

·
Registered
254 Posts
As far as I can tell, the camera will work in the coupe. The harness to tap into for the sedan exists in the coupe with NAVI also. The problem is, once you hook the camera up, there is no where to mount it. The license plate is in the bumper, so the camera would be mounted so low that it would not give a good perspective to the driver (and would have to be mounted off center as the license plate light is in the center of the opening). I have been thinking about buying it anyways though. Id rather have a poor view of whats behind me than no view. I have yet to hear of anyone sucessfully installing one in a coupe though, so try at your own risk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You may want to consider an after market rear view. I am not all that impressed with the OEM version I have on my 08 Sedan.

During the day it's very washed out and it picks up significant glare.

At night is when it actually works best. I am really suprised with the amount of light its able to capture, and I live on a street with no street lights.

·
8th Gen Audio Expert
1,713 Posts
heres what I did and no, It doesnt violate any laws, ASt least in Fl it doesnt....

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put the factory Rear Camera on my coupe and it works excellent. The plug is in the same place as the sedan (behind the glove box). I used the included bracket and mounted it to the very top of the license plate. This puts it back and out of the way from glare and it's mounted high enough that it's difficult to see unless you are looking for it. The view from inside is perfect. The camera has such a wide field of vision that it's perfect for a rear vision aide.

·
Registered
254 Posts
do you have pics of where you mounted it or how the picture quality is?

·
2017 Accord Sport CVT
1,619 Posts
I used an aftermarket CCDTV license plate mounted rear view wide angle cam with IR in the rear. I also installed 1 in the front lower grill area. I will post pics and vid soon...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I put the factory Rear Camera on my coupe and it works excellent. The plug is in the same place as the sedan (behind the glove box). I used the included bracket and mounted it to the very top of the license plate. This puts it back and out of the way from glare and it's mounted high enough that it's difficult to see unless you are looking for it. The view from inside is perfect. The camera has such a wide field of vision that it's perfect for a rear vision aide.
I would also love to see your install pics of this...

·
2017 Accord Sport CVT
1,619 Posts
A little problem im having is the tag light glares into the camera at night and makes it hard to see. I have to figure out a way to wire the tag light so it turns off when the car is in reverse.

·
Snicker Dog
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jblaust: Where did you mount the front camera? I assume you have a separate switch to activate it.

·
2017 Accord Sport CVT
1,619 Posts
The front camera is always on when the car is on. I just switcxh source on the head unit to aux and I have the front camera view while im driving. I just installed the front camera today. Very cool!

·
Snicker Dog
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any pictures of front and back install would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is a couple of pictures of my factory camera on my coupe. Super easy installation and while I had all the trim panels off I put down some dynamat just to tighten it up a little.
Sorry for the poor quality. These are from my phone.
The plug for the factory camera (if you have NAV) is in the same place as the instructions say for the sedan. Just plugged it in, modified the mount a little and buttoned it up. Picture is excellent and with it being high at the license plate, I don't get any glare. The picture at night is really good too. I have limo on my back window and the camera gets plenty of light from the reverse lights.
I've done the aftermarket cameras on all my vehicles and it always seems to be a PITA to retrofit them and get everything working properly. I know there's some nice cameras out there, but Honda has already made it easy to install. Gotta put a value on your time/hassle.

I will try to get some better pictures with my camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hey Texasmontego, have a few questions for you; hope you don't mind:

- How much did you pay for the camera and where?

- From the functional standpoint, all you did was plug it behind the glovebox (which means no tapping into reverse wiring, power, etc)?

- Does it work on the 6MT?

- How did you route the cable? Please state which panels you had to remove, and how you mounted the camera (drilling, etc). Thanks buddy.
JC

·
Registered
222 Posts
Texasmontego..... thanks for the valuable info and pics as this will be a great addition. Looks like there is plenty of view from the stock camera, better then the limited view out of a tinted window.. :thmsup:

Hey Texasmontego, have a few questions for you; hope you don't mind:

- How much did you pay for the camera and where?

- From the functional standpoint, all you did was plug it behind the glovebox (which means no tapping into reverse wiring, power, etc)?

- Does it work on the 6MT?

- How did you route the cable? Please state which panels you had to remove, and how you mounted the camera (drilling, etc). Thanks buddy.
JC

Great questions elp.... I was going to ask the same ones...

Doesn't look like its all that complicated to get working, which is awesome....
$320.00 from accessories-honda.com
http://www.accessories-honda.com/store/index.php/cPath/21_127_130

·
Registered
68 Posts
elp_jc - I paid around $300 (I know someone), but H and A definitely has the best price around from what I've seen.
- Oh man, I bought the camera not knowing the plug was already there. I was prepared to pull the radio and figure it out, but after reading the instructions I kind of figured they would already wire them due to the fact that it's the same radio from the sedan. The guy at the dealer said it won't work, but I just shook my head and said, watch and learn.

You can see if you have the plug on your 6MT by opening the glove box and releasing the shock on the right hand side (it snaps into the door, so rotate it up towards the dash and it will pop loose). Look inside the glove box area and up to the lefthand corner you should see it taped to a support. I'm sure you will have it.
I was amazed how easy the installation was. I pulled off the passenger's kickpanel, door sill and took out the liner from the trunk. I didn't remove the rear seat trim as you can snake the wires behind it.
I started from the bumper and worked to the front. There is a grommet already in the trunk that exits to the license plate. If I remember correctly it's the same wire as the license plate lights. Routed it around the trunk on the pass side, went behind the rear seat trim and up along the door sill to the kick panel. From there I went up to the glove box and over to the plug. The way the kit comes you have to insert the pins into the connector once you get to the glove box area. This made it really easy to snake the wires. Just tape up the ends so they don't get damaged.

Plugged it in, tested it, then neatened everything up.
For the mount, all I did was turn it over and screwed it to the license plate. It could go up higher, but would hit the plate light. I bent the plate a little to bring up the view, but was easy. Just make sure you put the mount on before you run the cable. I did the mount last and had to cut it to fit it over the wire.

I have to give it Honda for making their wiring so easy. I also put in the LED interior lights and Remote Start. Those harnesses matched up perfectly and plugged right in. Definitely the easiest installation of accessories I've ever done.

I've had cameras from HitchCAM and other manufactures on passed vehicles and the Honda cam is still cheaper ($$) plus it works flawless. I always had to modify the camera or wiring because something was always wrong with the aftermarket cameras.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
texasmontego, you are the man! You are the first that I have found that has done this and got it working properly for the coupe, and I am thankful that you did. Now to order the parts...

So the plate light doesn't distort the picture on the nav screen from what you have seen? And if you can post better pix of the plate part so we can see the details, that would be great.

·
Snicker Dog
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Teasmontego: How did you modify the OEM camera bracket? What did you attached it to?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts