Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got burned...the guy took 7 weeks to do my tranny and now it runs great but I have no airbags or horn and he is no where to be found...now what?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you mean"side air bag off" icon in the dash does not light?

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
Now this is a strange coincidence. I did my Transmission earlier this year (took a day...hours). When I got it back I noticed the airbag light but I thought it was the seatbelt buckle. Then a few days later I went to honk the horn and nothing.

At first I though maybe the shop removed a harness and forgot to put it back. Then the cruise wouldn't work. All the above issues can be caused by the horn relay being bad. I have a shop manual so I did all the test and it turned out the clock-spring (cable-reel).

Does the horn still honk when you press the lock button twice? There is a single pin connector on the steering wheel harness that will honk the horn when grounded. If you turn the steering wheel 180 degrees from center and remove the little cover from the under-side you should see the yellow airbag harness and a black connector. Ground the wire in the black harness and the horn should honk. If it does then you most likely have a shot clock spring

You will need to remove the airbag and steering wheel to get to it.

Check all horn related fuses first though.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Did you pull the joint going to the steering rack?

If so, the steering wheel needs to be locked while the rack is removed.

Otherwise, the wheel will turn beyond one side or another, destroying the clockspring (or airbag sliding contact, in Honda speak).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
More details would be nice like why they guy cannot be found?

·
Registered
372 Posts
So I got burned...the guy took 7 weeks to do my tranny and now it runs great but I have no airbags or horn and he is no where to be found...now what?
Thats why im never going back to AUTO !!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
Did you pull the joint going to the steering rack?

If so, the steering wheel needs to be locked while the rack is removed.

Otherwise, the wheel will turn beyond one side or another, destroying the clockspring (or airbag sliding contact, in Honda speak).
A shop did the work on mine. That explains it now. I find it odd that the clock-spring would go out right after the transmission job. I opened up the bad one and the ribbon was ripped.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now this is a strange coincidence. I did my Transmission earlier this year (took a day...hours). When I got it back I noticed the airbag light but I thought it was the seatbelt buckle. Then a few days later I went to honk the horn and nothing.

At first I though maybe the shop removed a harness and forgot to put it back. Then the cruise wouldn't work. All the above issues can be caused by the horn relay being bad. I have a shop manual so I did all the test and it turned out the clock-spring (cable-reel).

Does the horn still honk when you press the lock button twice? There is a single pin connector on the steering wheel harness that will honk the horn when grounded. If you turn the steering wheel 180 degrees from center and remove the little cover from the under-side you should see the yellow airbag harness and a black connector. Ground the wire in the black harness and the horn should honk. If it does then you most likely have a shot clock spring

You will need to remove the airbag and steering wheel to get to it.

Check all horn related fuses first though.
The air bag light is on and the horn works when I hit the key fob twice...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
03LXV6 - did you fix yours?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
I have a service manual so that made it easy for me.

There are 2 Torx bolts on the left and right of the steering wheel that will need to be remove. I had a had time removing them and ended up damaging them. I used regular bolts as replacements.

Disconnect the battery and wait 3 minutes. Open the cover on the underside of the steering wheel and disconnect the yellow airbag connector and the single pin connector. With the 2 bolts on the side removed, the airbag should come right out.

Remove the bolt in the center of the steering of the steering wheel. I think it was 17mm. A steering wheel remover is needed but I gave it a good tap and that released it. You should make sure the wheel is straight when doing this. Also mark the wheel and the center bolt so you know know where to align when putting the wheel back on.

Disconnect the harness going to the clock-spring and remove it. The new one comes taped at the center position so just put it in that way and then remove the tape. Route the wires where the old wires were and reconnect everything.

Make sure to put the steering wheel back exactly on the tooth you marked or it will be crooked if off by even on tooth. The airbag light should be out once all it hook up correctly. Test everything before bolting things back up. Put super threadlocker on the bolts or get new ones from the dealership. I choose to use bolts because I can now use a socket if I ever need to remove the wheel again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts