HR-V​
2018-2019​
HONDA​
INSIGHT​
2019-2020​

·
Registered
32 Posts
This recall is likely the result of a chirping noise a bunch of us were having in this thread:

Dealerships told us it was the fuel pump but some people had the noise and some people didn’t. For me, it wasn’t always present, but when it was, it was embarrassingly loud when stopped or driving through a garage. Other than this chirping noise, I’m not sure how you would recognize a faulty fuel pump if the car is running ok. Regardless, this has been an issue for many of us and I’m glad to see Honda’s is resolving it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The headline info says 136,000 of the 1,400,000 recalled worldwide are for Hondas in the US. Doesn't say how may 18/19 Acccords are part of the 136k but many won't be impacted at all.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This recall is likely the result of a chirping noise a bunch of us were having in this thread:

I’m not sure how you would recognize a faulty fuel pump if the car is running ok. Regardless, this has been an issue for many of us and I’m glad to see Honda’s is resolving it.
You seem to be really bothered by the chirping noise which is understandable, but you're speculating that this noise is a problem or is related. In this case, it is not. As I've said many times, most if not all Honda DI engines make a chirping noise at the high pressure fuel pump including engines that have been running for nearly 8 years and have never been recalled. This is the summary from this recall of the 2018/19 Accord on Nhtsa.gov:

Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2018-2019 Acura NSX, 2019 Acura RDX, RLX and RLX Sport Hybrid, 2018-2019 Honda Accord, Civic Hatchback, Civic Type R and HR-V, 2019-2020 Insight and 2019 Fit vehicles. The low-pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank may fail.
Pay special attention to the last sentence. This has nothing to do with a chirping noise coming from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
You seem to be really bothered by the chirping noise which is understandable, but you're speculating that this noise is a problem or is related. In this case, it is not. As I've said many times, most if not all Honda DI engines make a chirping noise at the high pressure fuel pump including engines that have been running for nearly 8 years and have never been recalled. This is the summary from this recall of the 2018/19 Accord on Nhtsa.gov:

Pay special attention to the last sentence. This has nothing to do with a chirping noise coming from the engine compartment.
You are correct that I am bothered by it. I wouldn't expect a brand new car to make any funky noises. The car I test drove didn't have it, my loaner didn't have it, but mine does. So yes, it is frustrating to have a car that sounds like I have a box of crickets under the hood when I'm stopped at a traffic light or driving in a garage.

With Honda's history of recalling fuel pumps for chirping noises, I thought this was what was happening, but it appears I misread which pump they were recalling. Thanks for pointing out that it was the fuel pump in the fuel tank and not the high pressure fuel pump under the hood. One can only hope the noise subsides on its own or they decide to add a TSB for the high pressure fuel pump as well. Even though it may be "normal" or not have a negative impact on the engine's longevity, it certainly is annoying.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Recall completed. The service mgr and the mechanic talked with me and described the problem as a possibility of plastic parts inside the fuel pump swelling and seizing. That would cause what Honda describes as a situation where the engine would stop operating and if this happens ---

:) nothing follows "happens" which is kind of funny considering what could happen if you're on the expressway and the car stalls out...

Honda keeps track of each part that goes into each car. I your Accord has the part expect a recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is EXACTLY what happened to me: 2019 Acoord 2.0 turbo Sport, runining at 75, attempted to accelerate quickly. The engine stalled completely, left me stranded on I75 south in heavy traffic. I was saved by a trucker who blocked my way so I could get to the emergency lane. This was in January; I've been trying ever since to get detail on what happened and why, and the dealer and American Honda have blocked me at every turn.

When it happened, the car would not move after I got to the emergency lane. The engine was running, but dead, no power. Decided to shut it off, see if that helped. It did, and I proceeded on, immediately calling the nearest Honda dealer.

All kinds of problems persisted for a week (I was on a long trip, needed the car) took it back to the dealer. He kept the car for a week, said they couldn't replicate the issue. I got no information on any work that was performed, no information on how the car had been checked, no information on anything.

I was not happy with that and created quite a scene at the dealer, who finally promised to have the general manager of the dealership call. He did, that day, and promised a full account of what happened, why, and what was done to my car.

Since then, despite follow up calls and emails, I've gotten nothing. I last month opened a case with American Honda, and I have a case number, but it's been 3 weeks and still no response.

This is a serious matter, and do not hesitate to get your car to the dealer for this repair. I am still trying to get answers, but I know I'm trying to knock down a brick wall. I was very fortunate not to have been in or caused an accident when this happened, but others may not be so lucky.

Because I have no damages, no accident, I have no legal recourse against Honda. Had I been in an accident, completely different story. But that doesn't mean I'm not royally upset, and I'm going to continue to purse this at the highest levels I can get to.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is EXACTLY what happened to me: 2019 Acoord 2.0 turbo Sport, runining at 75, attempted to accelerate quickly. The engine stalled completely, left me stranded on I75 south in heavy traffic. I was saved by a trucker who blocked my way so I could get to the emergency lane. This was in January; I've been trying ever since to get detail on what happened and why, and the dealer and American Honda have blocked me at every turn.

When it happened, the car would not move after I got to the emergency lane. The engine was running, but dead, no power. Decided to shut it off, see if that helped. It did, and I proceeded on, immediately calling the nearest Honda dealer.

All kinds of problems persisted for a week (I was on a long trip, needed the car) took it back to the dealer. He kept the car for a week, said they couldn't replicate the issue. I got no information on any work that was performed, no information on how the car had been checked, no information on anything.

I was not happy with that and created quite a scene at the dealer, who finally promised to have the general manager of the dealership call. He did, that day, and promised a full account of what happened, why, and what was done to my car.

Since then, despite follow up calls and emails, I've gotten nothing. I last month opened a case with American Honda, and I have a case number, but it's been 3 weeks and still no response.

This is a serious matter, and do not hesitate to get your car to the dealer for this repair. I am still trying to get answers, but I know I'm trying to knock down a brick wall. I was very fortunate not to have been in or caused an accident when this happened, but others may not be so lucky.

Because I have no damages, no accident, I have no legal recourse against Honda. Had I been in an accident, completely different story. But that doesn't mean I'm not royally upset, and I'm going to continue to purse this at the highest levels I can get to.
I understand your frustration -- I wouldn't be happy either -- but they likely didn't have an answer for you then. I doubt this was any great conspiracy. They simply couldn't reproduce the problem, and it didn't throw any codes.

You can be sure that they will be thrilled to get the recall notice for your car and repair the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand your frustration -- I wouldn't be happy either -- but they likely didn't have an answer for you then. I doubt this was any great conspiracy. They simply couldn't reproduce the problem, and it didn't throw any codes.

You can be sure that they will be thrilled to get the recall notice for your car and repair the problem.
Thanks, but here's the other thing: I am convinced that they did perform a repair to my car of some kind or another without telling me what was done. The car is running better than when I bought it. Did they know of a fuel pump problem in January, and not mention it? If so, how many people did they put at risk by not initiating the recall sooner?

Thanks for the follow up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I received an e-mail 5/20 from Car Fax that said my '18 accord 2.0 had a recall. It listed this one. I looked at Honda website and did not see any recent recalls for my car. Looked up the recall number on Google and our 10th gen Accords were not included, I recall mostly V6s, Honda & Lexus, so earlier some earlier Accords. Guess what? I went back to Car Fax to get that recall number to put it, and they are now saying no recalls for my car. So, they fixed their mistake, I suppose. Interesting. Thank you for posting, though!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks, but here's the other thing: I am convinced that they did perform a repair to my car of some kind or another without telling me what was done. The car is running better than when I bought it. Did they know of a fuel pump problem in January, and not mention it? If so, how many people did they put at risk by not initiating the recall sooner?

Thanks for the follow up.
Just curious -- how was it running better? Smoother idle, better acceleration? I've found that a day or two spent driving a different car always makes mine feel "new" again when I get it back.

I wouldn't think they would make repairs on your car and not keep records of the repairs for warranty reimbursement, or they wouldn't be in business very long. Honda is SLOW at addressing issues (at the corporate level) and issuing TSBs...I bet your dealer is just as frustrated as you to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting an issue that isn't/wasn't documented and easily addressed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My VIN entered at Honda Canada, doesn't show any recall, built April/19, Sport 2.0 6MT

I guess your car is OK then.
If you check the list, only 1,075 Accords manufactured between Oct 2018 to Feb 2019 will receive recall notices. My car was manufactured November 2018, so I'm one of them.

Reactions: Andrew O

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
View attachment 521268
I guess your car is OK then.
If you check the list, only 1,075 Accords manufactured between Oct 2018 to Feb 2019 will receive recall notices. My car was manufactured November 2018, so I'm one of them.
zacmartha, it took 1.5 hours for my service. The service mgr said that service time would get closer to one hour as more recalls were completed. He smiled when he said that because he knew there would not be that many cars in the recall.
Anyhow, good luck and work on them to replace your windshield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Accord is a late 2018 Sport 2.0 10 spd with a build date August 2018 and it is officially on the recall list. I checked on both the Honda Accord owners app via VIN and the NHTSA website with my VIN also and it confirmed my recall. I haven't received a letter from Honda yet but I will be making an appointment at my local dealership to get this taken care of next week.

·
NextCruise
42 Posts
I received an email from NHTSA overnight. There is indeed a recall notice posted for the 2018-2019 Accord. Apparently, there is a problem with the fuel pump on certain models.

I went to the NHTSA website to check my VIN number. It did not show my 2018 Accord under recall. I have a hybrid so the recall might not be applicable.

I have an oil change scheduled with my Honda dealer in two weeks. I guess that I will get an update then.
I also received a notification email from the NHTSA stating that my Accord "may" be affected. I then checked my VIN and it said my car had no pending recalls. This might change in the future or not.

·
19 EX-L 2.0 Obsidian Blue
58 Posts
My 2019 EX-L 2.0 was built in 2/2019 per the drivers door sticker. Input the VIN on the Honda recall page, my vehicle is not included in the fuel pump recall.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts