Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Accord Rear Camera Safety Recall

I went to get a free oil change today at a Honda dealership, and they found that there was a software recall released today on backup camera. The process time is 0.3 hours. The service said max waiting time for me was 2 hours (including oil change).

I think it was for models from EX to higher.

I have the Accord Touring 2018.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to get a free oil change today at a Honda dealership, and they found that there was a software recall released today on backup camera. The process time is 0.3 hours. The service said max waiting time for me was 2 hours (including oil change).

I think it was for models from EX to higher.

I have the Accord Touring 2018.
Canadian 1.5T Sport here and my Honda Link is telling me I have the recall as well.

Probably all trims.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got off the phone regarding the Rear Camera Software Recall. I called because I saw reports of this Recall and yet my system said it up to date. The Tech said that the car need to be taken into the dealer to be fixed, it was more than just software. She also said that this fix also include a fix for the HUD/Compass/Turn by Turn issue.

Reactions: SLRedline

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got off the phone regarding the Rear Camera Software Recall. I called because I saw reports of this Recall and yet my system said it up to date. The Tech said that the car need to be taken into the dealer to be fixed, it was more than just software. She also said that this fix also include a fix for the HUD/Compass/Turn by Turn issue.
If it fixes the turn by turn for Android Auto....Hallelujah! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
FYI, the associated bulletin no. is 18-092. The display audio build number will be 18AA-1945-001 after the update.
Thanks for the info. I have an appointment this afternoon to get my Touring 2.0 fixed/updated. I've only had 1 occurrence of my Compass disappearing and that was over a month ago.

When I made the appointment, they checked my VIN, said this fix was vehicle specific.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The update on my Touring 2.0T took just less than 1 hour even though at checkin they said it could take as long as 2 hours. When I got in the car to go home I noticed that all the icons on my display had been reset to original. Took me about half an hour to get everything rearranged to my liking.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
For those of you that received notices- is Honda naming this a RECALL, or simply that your car is in need of a SOFTWARE UPDATE?

Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins (TSB), and software updates are not the same thing. We should not use these phrases interchangeably. Crossing the streams is bad.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,047 Posts
From @HamByte's post including a letter/service record from Honda, it would seem to be a recall.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I think the person entering the data put in "recall", in looking at Honda's recall site and the NHTSA there are no safety recalls on the 2018 Honda Accord.

I edited this to say there are no recalls in the US, I suspect there may be a recall for this in Canada.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Anyone of got this notification today?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went to get a free oil change today at a Honda dealership, and they found that there was a software recall released today on backup camera.
Honda did the recall on mine today while in for an unrelated issue.
No country (listed).

You can update your UserCP so that your location will automatically appear under your username.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's the law

For those of you that received notices- is Honda naming this a RECALL, or simply that your car is in need of a SOFTWARE UPDATE?

Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins (TSB), and software updates are not the same thing. We should not use these phrases interchangeably. Crossing the streams is bad.
Backup cameras are mandatory by law as of May 2018.

Even though a large portion of 2018 Accords were built before that month they have no choice to consider it recall because it is related to safety.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rear-view-cameras-transport-canada-1.3829460

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
^Canada and USA require all vehicles sold (in CA and USA) made after May of 2018 to have back-up cameras. So DA members in Mexico, the Middle East, Europe, etc may or may not be impacted.

But here, AS OF TODAY, on the official USA Honda website, there is no recall issued for the 2018 Accord:
https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls?id=

So again, I ask, is this simply a software update that people are confusing with recall or TSB?

Anyone wish to point out the word RECALL from Honda Canada or USA (and not some illiterate service writer at some dealership in some country not bothered to be named)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
^Canada and USA require all vehicles sold (in CA and USA) made after May of 2018 to have back-up cameras. So DA members in Mexico, the Middle East, Europe, etc may or may not be impacted.

But here, AS OF TODAY, on the official USA Honda website, there is no recall issued for the 2018 Accord:
https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls?id=

So again, I ask, is this simply a software update that people are confusing with recall or TSB?

Anyone wish to point out the word RECALL from Honda Canada or USA (and not some illiterate service writer at some dealership in some country not bothered to be named)?
From my owners profile on Honda.ca

So yes probably only Canadian and US customers will receive this recall initially because it is obliged by law, but I would imagine Honda might roll it out in other regions as a TSB.

If that answer still doesn't satisfy you, then you can wait until monday when I go for the recall and speak with the warranty admin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had it done yesterday. I just bought the car on Friday and the dealer notified me that it needed a mandatory software update that they wanted done this week. I found out when I picked it up that Honda Financial Services wouldn't complete the financing until it was done. I was told it was a Service Bulletin but when the paperwork was typed up it was called a recall.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.