Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased this spoiler painted in Nighthawk Black Pearl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130793957855

The seller came recommended by other forum members, so I figured for $110, it's worth a shot.

The lip arrived today and... well... the paint finish left a LOT to be desired:

There was a run, or a scrape, and a TON of orange peel. Once I mounted it into place, I took a photo of the lip on my freshly polished trunk lid:

That was frustrating. I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back, and trying to find another source, so I took a leap of faith and busted out the 1500 grit to wet-sand by hand:

Of course, tried to stay away from the very edges, since the paint tends to be thinner there, and it's the flatter surfaces that make the most visual different when it comes to texture:

I then did a cross-hatch pattern using 2500 grit, then used a microfiber towel with Meguiars M105 heavy cut compound, and worked it in by hand. This is after three passes:

Hope has been restored! Not half bad. Here's a quick video showing the lip half done and half still sanded:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ois7avjkit81kh2/2014-08-21 19.24.53.mov

And here are two photos after finishing the whole thing with 105 by hand, then two passes with Meguiars D300, then stripped with Carpro Eraser, and sealed with FK 1000P:

And a quick walkaround video of the fit and final finish, for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1qpuz8ksah7j19/2014-08-21 20.34.17.mov

The paint is a great match, similar flake, etc. The finish was not well sanded and glossy when it arrived, but after quite a bit of effort, I'm very happy with the finished product. I mounted the spoiler using only the double sided tape that came on it, and it feels extremely solid. Bonus that I didn't have to drill into the deck lid.

Was I torqued about the finish when it arrived? Yes. Did I drive home satisfied and feeling accomplished? Yes. 4 out of 5 stars only for the extra effort required to get it to where it's at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your pictures didn't work but I too was planning on getting one of those prepainted ebay deck lid spoilers. I am now thinking of just buying a primed one and painting it myself...

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
:worthless

·
Registered
304 Posts
:worthless

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Got Accord?
144 Posts
Yes, it does require drilling, everybody is afraid of the drilling! haha
I took the leap and drilled mine. It is scary but since having the Honda template, it eased me a little.

Still.... 4 13mm ish holes in your deck lid is scary to picture haha

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
ahheck - that finish is gorgeous and totally worth the extra effort you put in !!

Kudo's for you sir !! Questionable quality clear coats are the toughest to make pretty, great job mate.

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
Only get OEM, and I can't believe you stressed over that paint job. It really doesn't matter once the car hits 6 years old. Just wait until your black paint start peeling, it's the one color that's most prone to UV damage. Are you going to wet sand your entire car later?

·
Registered
46 Posts
One could always cut the studs off the factory one and tape it, no? Would be easier than refinishing the cheap one.

And, the paint is a totally important factor; its one of the main selling points of the part! And no in 6 years the paint does not peel on the car. Although if one is the sort of person who thinks it is ok to accept a part with crappy paint on it, I guess I would not be surprised to find that that same person would have a crappy looking 6 year old car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One could always cut the studs off the factory one and tape it, no? Would be easier than refinishing the cheap one.

And, the paint is a totally important factor; its one of the main selling points of the part! And no in 6 years the paint does not peel on the car. Although if one is the sort of person who thinks it is ok to accept a part with crappy paint on it, I guess I would not be surprised to find that that same person would have a crappy looking 6 year old car.
Wow, that was incredibly rude of you. I'll be sure to avoid doing business with your company.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That's bad that your spoiler arrived in that condition. Did you purchase it from thespoilercompany on eBay?

If so, then that's really strange because I purchased my rear spoiler from them in satin silver and have had zero paint issues in the ~5 months I've owned it (it's gone through snow conditions as well).

All that matters though is that you got it worked out. Looks nice! And yeah, don't know who that rude guy is but I'd ignore them :D.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's bad that your spoiler arrived in that condition. Did you purchase it from thespoilercompany on eBay?

If so, then that's really strange because I purchased my rear spoiler from them in satin silver and have had zero paint issues in the ~5 months I've owned it (it's gone through snow conditions as well).

All that matters though is that you got it worked out. Looks nice! And yeah, don't know who that rude guy is but I'd ignore them :D.
Yeah, I had seen quite a few reviews of their spoilers with great paint, so I was unpleasantly surprised too. Ah well, we got it taken care of!

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
It really doesn't matter once the car hits 6 years old. Just wait until your black paint start peeling, it's the one color that's most prone to UV damage. Are you going to wet sand your entire car later?
Last time I checked, his car is OVER 6 years old now. :naughty:

As far as HeelToe (Marcus?)...ya'll are WAY too sensitive. I didn't read it as rude at all, but then again I get to sit at the adult table for dinner. :lmao:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts