Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

for the passed 3 week or so, sometimes when my Hid's turn on (AUTO) or i manually turn them my car shuts off..

I am thinking something with ground has to be wrong or something with a power wire..

I am thinking about completely remove the HID's and putting Halogen bulbs to see if it fixes the issue..

It's not a ALWAYS problem, just happens random..

These HID's are Local Shop brands, not Retrosolutions, or XenonDepot Hid kits..

On my Sedan i have RetroSolutions 55w hids and no issues..

* This Hid kit didn't come with a relay so i don't know if it needed.. *

55w 8000k

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
I would first check your battery cables, make sure they are on the terminals to the battery snugly, tighten them down if needed I believe it’s a 12mm for the nut to the cables. Hopefully that is it as I had a comparable issue with my LGT once before where I accidentally didn’t tighten down a battery cable after working on the car. If not I would order relay a relay for your low beams and fogs if you have HIDs in your fogs to rule out a short.

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
55w? should definitely get a relay. however even so, it shouldnt be turning your car off
Most likely just order a relay

I would first check your battery cables, make sure they are on the terminals to the battery snugly, tighten them down if needed I believe it’s a 12mm for the nut to the cables. Hopefully that is it as I had a comparable issue with my LGT once before where I accidentally didn’t tighten down a battery cable after working on the car. If not I would order relay a relay for your low beams and fogs if you have HIDs in your fogs to rule out a short.
Thanks man.. Yeah i will check the cables and see if that's causing the issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same exact issue, i even made a post about it 3 days ago, try adding a relay if that doesnt help it its a messed up ballast, DONT let the HIDS stay in your car without the relay for now, it will start messing with ur dash, my check engine light would come on after that low tire pressure, it was weird but all fixed after i took out the HIDS. Please let me know if the relay fixes it ill do the same.

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same exact issue, i even made a post about it 3 days ago, try adding a relay if that doesnt help it its a messed up ballast, DONT let the HIDS stay in your car without the relay for now, it will start messing with ur dash, my check engine light would come on after that low tire pressure, it was weird but all fixed after i took out the HIDS. Please let me know if the relay fixes it ill do the same.
Will do.. I am pretty sure the Relay will fix any power issues the Lights may be causing..

If not time me for to order another Set of RetroSolution 55w Slim Hid kits like the ones in my Sedan lol..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been having this same EXACT problem!!! I have a 55Watt Kit from retro in my Sedan. I've already asked about 3 installers if they knew what the problem was and they were stumped that it was turning the car off. Now that I came across someone else who's having this problem hopefully we can find a solution. My first thought was that the battery wasn't strong enough to power everything in my car (i.e. I have my JL Amp and my W7, Plus the 55Watt HID's) So I got my battery checked and it was perfectly fine. I'm thinking of going back to 35Watt's because it's freaking me the hell out whenever it happens. It's totally random too, as it's happened like 4 times to me already. Now I'm gonna check the battery connections as mentioned above, Oh and the installers I've asked said that the relay wouldn't help as it would just require more charge from the battery, If you come across any solution that works besides removing the whole HID kit completely I'll appreciate your help a lot. I just don't wanna have to buy another HID Kit, It would be my 3rd one!!!! Haha

·
Registered
968 Posts
The relay harness should fix that for you. I would also suggest not using a 55w kit in our cars. Looks like a lot of people are have or are starting to have problems with them. Stick with a 35w kit.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
I am guessing that those who arent having issues are the ones running relays

·
┐(´ー` )┌
441 Posts
My retro 55w has a relay and they stopped working yesterday. Gonna check it out this weekend or if its still daylight after work. Hasn't turned off my car, nor messed with the dash lights or anything tho.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Using a relay can only help a scenario where the wire gauge is insufficient to carry the current that is being drawn by a heavier than designed electrical load and causes undesireable voltage drop, it won't fix anything fundlementally wrong with the HID kit, whatever the cause is. For example, if the HID kit is getting damaged because of lower voltage due to small wire gauge, then yes the relay kit will prevent this problem from occuring, but if the the faulty HID ballast or ignitor is due to inherent design issue unrelated to the current carrying capacity of the OEM wiring or voltage drop, then the relay kit won't make a difference, the HID kit will still fail and cause the same problem.

There are just a couple more points I'd like to make:

- There isn't any need to go more than 55W HID power, 35W is more than adequate, and does not require relay kit, my PnP HID without a relay kit has been in the car for 3 years and I use it during day time as well, which means it gets lots of use without a single failure or caused any problem to the rest of the car

- As I've mentioned numerous times in the past, these relay kits almost always have only single 20A or higher amper rating fuse for both headlights where Honda has a single 10A rating fuse for each headlight, which means if there ever was a fault in one of the ballast or ignitor, the fuse won't pop until well over the rating has been exceeded on the OEM wiring, by that time the faulty part is not only irreversibly damaged, the OEM wiring may have also been damaged beyond repair.

The relay kit is NOT a magic silver bullet that solves every HID problem.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
It's your Ballast.....Replace it :thmsup:

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the Information guys...

I just decided to order from our forum Sponsor XenonDepot, there quality HID kit and i am pretty sure this will fix my issue..

I don't want to be cheap with my car. So i will just Spend the money one more time and that's it.. Once I get XenonDepot Kit everything should/will be fine.. Most member have there HID kits and have No issue, and Steve has been very helpful with my Issue. So i ordered a 35w HID kit from him, Next week i will order another set for my Fog lights.

·
Registered
968 Posts
same thing i did. had one kit, it did not work well. Just ordered one from XD also.

·
In Reverse
662 Posts
I have had the relay from day 1. Never had any problems with my H.I.D's from Retro. Never had one not lighting up, or any flashing, or any of the above problems. I only had problems when I didn't sand the ground spot very well, other than that all good with a relay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts