Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a good all year wiper blade? I'm considering the Bosch icons, and I wonder how they compare with the OEM blades, but am open to any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Bob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Been using icons for years. Just recently switched to the rain-x silicone on my other cars. They’re slightly more expensive, but I like them better Than the icons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Topic^
My current ones (I think are still OEM) leave these streaks. I think it's time to get new blades because the bugs just destroy them every year. What ones do you have for the 10th gen? I'd like to hear from some NE US people, because we have the snow and bugs to worry about all the time.

Also I've been using the year round bug wiper fluid from Rain-x. That could be a culprit too, what fluid do you use?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd highly recommend that you get the ones from the dealer- the replacement inserts aren't that expensive and in my experience, they are much better in terms of longevity and effectiveness compared to almost anything else on the market.

My dealer charges $14.99 for replacement Honda inserts installed and they do them while you wait. Normally they don't even require that you make an appointment- but that may have changed with the whole Covid-19 thing.

In my experience, the ones from Honda work well for about two years. Every pair of aftermarket ones that I've purchased all seem to only last one year.

·
2020 CBP Touring
775 Posts
OEM inserts. They preserve the stock arm and are affordable. They last a good year in the Northeast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good lord, really get the OEM "inserts"? How am I supposed to know if I have the OEM arms? I think I replaced them with some Michelins or something but I simply can not remember. This is making me panic because I think I threw out the OEM arms and they'll cost me like $50.

UPDATE:
So now I recommend getting the OEM inserts. They're $15 for both and make your wipers brand new, and work exceptionally well. You need to get them redone every year because I believe this is a green thing. Honda making them replacable work part instead of all the waste for throwing the arm away. So them being "green" they biodegrade over a year +.

·
2020 CBP Touring
775 Posts
Good lord, really get the OEM "inserts"? How am I supposed to know if I have the OEM arms? I think I replaced them with some Michelins or something but I simply can not remember. This is making me panic because I think I threw out the OEM arms and they'll cost me like $50.
You'll spend 35 or 40 on a pair of decent blades anyway. Buy the OEM again and don't look back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you're saying they work on all the freaking bugs, oh lord all those billion damned bugs all the time, then I'll give them a try. Whatever I have now (even if they're OEM or not) did not last a whole year with BUGS BUGS BUGS. Can you tell I live near water?

·
Registered
413 Posts
You likely didn't replace the OEM arms, those don't come off too easily... you likely just threw away the wiper assembly.

Lesson learned. When I had to replace the OEM wiper blades on my wife's 2007 Camry for the first time (back in like 2009), I made the mistake of throwing the entire wipers away and replacing them with aftermarket wipers- not just the inserts- but the whole wiper. HUGE mistake. I should have just replaced the inserts with OEM Toyota ones. I've tried paying big bucks for really expensive wiper replacements- or just the cheap $12 ones from Walmart.. none were as good as the OEMs. Unfortunately, like you, I threw away the original OEM wipers- so now I'm doomed to having to stick with aftermarket blades.

I haven't made the same mistake again- My Accord only gets OEM inserts. They last a very long time- even in climates like mine where we have pretty heavy snow in winter but can also see hot summers. For $15 for new set- you can't beat the price or the performance.

You are correct- if you need to replace the entire wiper assemblies, it's not cheap. For a 2019 (and likely a 2018 & 2020), the part numbers and prices are:
Driver's side P/N: 76620-TVA-A01 $38.93 MSRP, seen for $27 online
Passenger's side P/N: 76630-TVA-A01 $31.83 MSRP, seen for $22 online

As previously mentioned, the wiper inserts themselves are only about $15 for the pair.

Reactions: nunyazz

·
2018 LX
171 Posts
I replaced my factory wipers with Bosh ICON ClearMax 365 blades last December and find them to be superior to the factory ones. They are quiet, no more chattering, and streaking. Ordered the pair from Advance Auto Parts for $38.86 and they are performing like I installed them yesterday almost a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I've been using the OEM's for decades, not saying they are the best but never had a reason to switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to buy Bosch wipers and a pair of them cost about $35~$40. They are good, but Honda blades cost ~$15 a pair and I don't think there is much difference. Since then I have been using OEM blades.

·
1,927 Posts
Use a moist towelette on your blades and they'll be renewed for a little while. You'll see the towelette turn black from all the oxidized crud that's removed from the blade. I compare it to restoring your headlights - not as good as new but quite a bit better.

I used to use Silblades before they changed ownership. They were amazing, but they just don't seem to be the same

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was looking this weekend for the OEM rubber refills and it looks like they were discontinued. It seems you can only buy the whole blade assembly for about $30 apiece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts
Another vote for OEM. I used to always go for Bosch Icon but I've found the factory blades are pretty decent and the refills are so cheap I usually replace mine every 6 months or so.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,978 Posts
One can try PIAA or Silblade wipers. They are silicone rubber and supposedly never need to be replaced.

I bought some Silblades a few years ago and they streaked. Back they went, and it's been OEM inserts for me ever since.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts