Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my 08 Accord EX-L's brakes and rotors entirely.

After looking through the threads regarding the premature wearing and juddering I noticed some directions others went in replacing the stock ones.

Duralast (Gold?) ceramic brake pads
Hawk HPS brake pads
Bendix CT3 brake pads
EBC (Greenstuff?) brake pads

I was hoping to find some follow-up information on these different decisions outside of the quick turn around responses like things are better than what they were with the original stock crap. Is there a more in-depth thread out there that I didn't stumble upon that gave or gives a better indication of which set of brakes given expenses is ideal to solve or lessen the wear and more importantly the juddering issues? Any personal experiences and opinions based on longer testing would suffice too.

Also, any recommendations on rotors? Not necessarily looking to get 4 expensive cross-drilled and slotted performance rotors, but something that might help lessen the chances of causing juddering during braking.

To note: I did find one nice suggestion within the threads I went through which dealt with a braking technique to somewhat deal with juddering. It mentioned coasting to stops while continuously lessening the brake pressure in order to evenly displace the heat and melting pad compound. Thought that was some good advice, but I already use similar braking techniques and it doesn't completely solve all the juddering issues which is why I'm looking to replace the pads and rotors with better equipment too.

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,327 Posts
You may want to consider upgrading to the Acura RL BBK in the front, not terribly cost prohibitive and provides a night and day difference in stopping if you have grippy tires over stock brakes.

·
@milmast
957 Posts
i agree with tommy.. a dual piston brake setup is noticeably more powerful at braking compared to a single piston. If i were to get a new brake setup, I would go BBK kit every day, even though its a bit more coin. Check out the RL BBK up grade or ever some StopTech's. Not a simple rotor and pad upgrade.

I did stoptech rotors and Hawk HPS ceramic pads and it did make a difference, however you'll notice a much larger difference with an extra piston as apposed to better material brakes

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I love my Akebono Perf. Pads. Can't say anything about Duralast or Bendix, but EBC seems to have QC issues if you google a bit.

The Hawk HPS pads Milan is using do require some heat in them to have maximum friction, so keep that in mind if your car is only a highway cruiser with minimal brake usage.

I would recommend regular solid rotors...Centric Cryo rotors would be my choice. My slotted ones are more performance orientated, and it comes with a few compromises I won't get into unless you care to know.

·
@milmast
957 Posts
If you are looking at excessive heat, look at different types of rotors. If you're worried about how hard the brakes will bite, look at the pads. If you want something to stop you from 75mph/ 120kph once or twice, you can get away with centric rotors. If you want to do those 120-0 stops consistently, you will warp your plain rotors in no time; the cross-drilled vented rotors will dissipate heat much better. All you basically need is front cross drilled brakes because when you press the brake, the weight of the vehicle is transferred to the front.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your feedback.

Just got done purchasing Centric Cryo slotted rotors for front and non-slotted for rear along with Akebono ProACT Performance Pads for the front with Akebono Street Performance Pads for the rear.

·
4,057 Posts
Hmmm...ProACT and Performance Pads are 2 separate products. Street Performance also isn't in their current catalog: http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/index.html which is only ProACT, Performance, and Euro . I think for me the part numbers were ASP1336 in the front and ASP914 in the rear.

Beware though, you might run into the compromise I mentioned...that being there's a bit of whirring that happens braking from 65-45 that diminishes only when the rotors are heated up. Google seems to indicate this is normal for slotted rotors, but it sure was surprising to me first I heard it.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Hmmm...ProACT and Performance Pads are 2 separate products. Street Performance also isn't in their current catalog: http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/index.html which is only ProACT, Performance, and Euro . I think for me the part numbers were ASP1336 in the front and ASP914 in the rear.

Beware though, you might run into the compromise I mentioned...that being there's a bit of whirring that happens braking from 65-45 that diminishes only when the rotors are heated up. Google seems to indicate this is normal for slotted rotors, but it sure was surprising to me first I heard it.
I wasn't aware of a potential whirring noise from slotted discs. Haven't experienced it myself but thanks for bringing it up - you learn something new every day. :thmsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dont need anything special, I went with advance auto rotors and pads. Not sure what happened though because they squeak 10x worse then they did before. about to pull them off this weekend and take them back using the "lifetime warranty"

I would say if you go with the advance auto stuff, go with platinum series, no issues on my tahoe. Order them online, pick up in store and take advantage of the 20% off discount that usually applies

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went with ASP1336 for the Rear because the ACT1336 were only 8 dollars cheaper per set and ACT787 for the Front because the ASP787 were $34 dollars more per set. The ASP-line are referenced as Akebono Street Performance Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads through the online store I'm ordering them from where as the ACT-line are referenced as Akebono ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads; anyways, that's why I wrote "street".

·
4,057 Posts
Ok so the majority of your braking is going to be done with the ProACT pads, since the rears don't do much in our cars. Let us know if you get any whirring noise.

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
Wagner makes excellent pads as well. I got the advice from my uncle who is a mechanic, and that's all I've used since I started doing my own brake jobs in 1998 on my cars. They last a long time, provide great stopping with factory rotors, make very little to zero dust, and are super quiet.

It's about time for me to do the bakes on my '09 as they are starting to squeal. Car has 65k miles. Less than I got out of the factory brakes on the old Prelude, I got almost 80k out of those.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Where do you guys order your brakes from? I checked amazon, there are a lot of options, but the choices don't seem to be specifically made for the accord (at least they are not labeled as such) so I wouldn't want to get ones that don't fit. I also checked tirerack.com, but the choices they have are very limited. Any recommendations?

·
4,057 Posts
My rotors came from AutoAnything. Pretty big rotor and pad selection, and the free shipping is good when rotors weigh like 12 pounds apiece. My pads I got from RockAuto because the Akebono Performance Pads are a bit hard to find elsewhere. I think TireRack sells them, but RockAuto was a little bit less expensive. Stainless brake lines I bought from some random website that happened to be the cheapest :) Lube for the caliper slide pins I went with Sil-Glyde @ Autozone. It's silicone based and easier to acquire than the 3M silicone stuff EricTheCarGuy recommends.

Amazon isn't very good for auto parts. Usually overpriced.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
I ran EBC's for years, loved them. Depends on your needs for ceramic pads vs non-ceramic and how much dust is a factor
I picked up a set of EBC Greenstuff pads frt & rear from you and I really like the way they feel, just very dusty.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My rotors came from AutoAnything. Pretty big rotor and pad selection, and the free shipping is good when rotors weigh like 12 pounds apiece. My pads I got from RockAuto because the Akebono Performance Pads are a bit hard to find elsewhere. I think TireRack sells them, but RockAuto was a little bit less expensive. Stainless brake lines I bought from some random website that happened to be the cheapest :) Lube for the caliper slide pins I went with Sil-Glyde @ Autozone. It's silicone based and easier to acquire than the 3M silicone stuff EricTheCarGuy recommends.

Amazon isn't very good for auto parts. Usually overpriced.
I looked at auto anything. Seems like a great site to buy from, with a lot of product reviews as well. I'm only going to buy the pads and the rotors and let my shop deal with the rest. I'm not about to change the brakes myself.

Thanks for the informative response! :thmsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts