Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone switch the Amber rear blinker bulbs to read? I was thinking it would be a nicer look and I thought I red somewhere where you could either have red or amber in the rear and still be legal? Thanks

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Turn signals have to be amber per federal law in the United States. White is an exception, I believe. Don't like it, bring it up to the USDOT.

Its principle: red means stop. Not, "Hey I'm emanating my intent to turn".

·
Banned
406 Posts
Has anyone switch the Amber rear blinker bulbs to read? I was thinking it would be a nicer look and I thought I red somewhere where you could either have red or amber in the rear and still be legal? Thanks
Correct, you can have red or amber for the rear turn signal. For the front turn signal it can be white or amber (but I think they can ticket you if you don't have amber reflector up front?? not sure on this) Many cars comes with stock red rear turn signals light.

"vc. 24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of
intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or
amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light
visible to the rear."

·
Registered
264 Posts
Turn signals have to be amber per federal law in the United States. White is an exception, I believe. Don't like it, bring it up to the USDOT.

Almost had it right.. but the rears can be either red or amber, granted amber is more effective

Front signals - amber
Front daytime running lamps or parking lights - white or amber
rear signals - red or amber

·
Registered
27 Posts

Amber or white only applies to front turn signals. Rear turn signals may be amber or red. There are plenty of cars on the road with red rear turn signals.

That said, I think red rear turn signals are a bad idea and it's unfortunate they're still allowed in North America (Europe and Asia saw the light long ago and require amber turn signals). The NHTSA even did a study showing there's a measurable reduction in rear collisions with amber turn signals, but they still haven't been made mandatory yet.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811115.pdf

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
Lots of Bimmers have red bulbs as rear turn signal indicators.

I also agree that it's a bad idea. Too easy to mistake it for a brake light or tail light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts