Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, been lurking on here for a while but finally joined, have found helpful tricks and tips before so thank you guys. Im about to pull my hair out over this one. My wife's accord (03 ex v6) driver side headlight is out , every fuse is good, brand new bulbs, silverstars, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the relay is for the headlight are. I've looked but haven't found a solid answer and I've searched to no available. Much help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Alright, been lurking on here for a while but finally joined, have found helpful tricks and tips before so thank you guys. Im about to pull my hair out over this one. My wife's accord (03 ex v6) driver side headlight is out , every fuse is good, brand new bulbs, silverstars, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the relay is for the headlight are. I've looked but haven't found a solid answer and I've searched to no available. Much help would be appreciated.
I would suggest you confirm that it's not the bulb 1st. Silverstars are notorious for failure and I wouldn't presume that even new ones aren't the culprit. If you haven't already you should swap the bulbs from side to side to be sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What had originally happened is the HID bulb went out, swapped it to the other side and it worked. Bought silverstars to replace HID kit, both bulbs work in the passenger side, not in the driver side. I'm suspecting it a relay. All fuses and connections are good. If it's not that, I'm not sure what else to check.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I looked into where the headlight relays are in a different thread a couple of months ago, the bad news is they are in a larger enclosed plastic box under the hood near the firewall containing other electronics, and are not easily accessible, there are also no procedures in the factory service manual to replace the headlight relays.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? That kind of blows lol. I haven't put a test light on it yet and see if it's getting power, but am I missing anything? All fuses are good, only other thing I can think of would be the relay causing a fuss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody else with some possible insight on the subject?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As you mentioned, get out the test light or meter and find out if power is getting to the lamp or not. If the relay or whatever is not working, you could buy an aftermarket headlite harness for your car and switch it from the one working headlite. Power should be connected to the battery or some other non-switched circuit, not the other headlite.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I have tomorrow off to dive into this....I still think it's something really stupid that I'm overlooking. Though, it doesn't help that Honda didn't really give you extra slack to the bulb itself, it just barely reaches it.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for answering that, was driving me nuts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up being a cut wire down by where it connects to the rest of the harness along with another blown fuse that I missed before. Thanks for the help all.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
The cut wire was likely on the same circuit of the blown fuse.

How was the wire "cut"? Wire doesn't cut by itself, was there work done in that area? Glad you found it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was in the opening around where the header panel meets the fender, that sharp metal that is unfinished. When I put the HID's in I must have rubbed the wire just enough against the metal.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
That's funny! :D

Was the blown fuse for the headlight? That should be your first clue.

There was a recent thread someone posted about something stopped working, eventually he traced back to some other work he had done which caused the problem, except he didn't realize it right away, I think he eventually asked himself: "OK, you idiot, what was the last thing you touched?", and figured it out. :lmao:

I shouldn't laugh though, years ago when I first started monkeying with my dad's Mazda GLC while in high school, I installed a tachometer since that manual transmission car did not come with one, the ignition pulse pick-up wire I pulled from the engine compartment chaffed against the metal opening, eventually cut through the insulation a couple of weeks later and grounded out the ignition coil, which meant a no-start that took me a few hours to figure out.

All the while panicking that I've buggered up dad's car!! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, yea I've been there and done those things before too. I guess I should have read the fuse panel more carefully, it was the 3rd fuse up from the bottom that was blown. I read the first one on the bottom which is a 10a and it said D side LB, or something along those lines I don't recall. I didn't bother to notice the 3rd up up from that. Oh well, I won't make the same mistake twice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts