Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know there are many different threads out there about this exact topic. But I have yet to find a clear answer on my exact two questions.

From what I gathered I need to purchase FLCAN (Flashlogic - Multiplatform Vehicle Doorlock Interface) if I want to use VIPER and not have my Passive Entry key stuffed inside my dash. Right??

Also the car WILL turn off when I enter.. ?

Below are what I'm looking to get on my 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 W/Passive. The dealer quoted me $852 for OEM remote start and Best Buy quoted me $474 for this system. Is this a good option?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+R...00050003&productCategoryId=pcmcat292200050016

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Flashlo...ategoryId=pcmcat292200050017&id=1218256577153

My ideal setup would be this, nice and small..
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-r...?id=pcmprd211500050008&skuId=9999212600050008

·
Registered
127 Posts
Would not let best buy touch my car. They botched one of my jobs in a previous car. I go to a high end place locally that works on luxury/high-end vehicles.

They recent installed me some subs/amp and the ANC is still fully functional. I told them about the problems I had been reading about it and they were full aware and assured me they would not have to cut any wires.

·
Enjoying Life!!!
55 Posts
I had Best Buy install in an exes car and they did fine. You can go anywhere and someone can make a mistake.

Mine cost about same 6MT here and I had dealership install which makes it covered under warranty or any issues with it. I got the two way with LCD remote. The bad, you need to carry two fobs now.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Do what I did... Buy the OEM unit for $290 shipped online and install it yourself, then take it to the dealer to have them program it for $50-100 (mine was free though bc I know the manager). It only took me 1-1.5hrs to install and everything is included, all you have to do is print the instructions online.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had Viper Smart Start installed at Best Buy and they did great job...no complaints. Run it from my Android phone and it works great...no separate fob. I did not opt for alarm also, as I didn't see advantage over factory alarm on my coupe. Very happy with my setup and install.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had Viper Smart Start installed at Best Buy and they did great job...no complaints. Run it from my Android phone and it works great...no separate fob. I did not opt for alarm also, as I didn't see advantage over factory alarm on my coupe. Very happy with my setup and install.
What accord of you have? Does it have passive entry? Also does your engine shut down when you open the door?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I'm debating adding remote start aftermarket for $400. I've called 5 different shops and one told me there's a module so I don't have to give up a key (they added RS to my TSX and it worked well). I'm still on the fence, because I can get in the car and take off after letting it idle for 2 mins. and I have heat within a half mile. I've never had a car that was up so quickly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What accord of you have? Does it have passive entry? Also does your engine shut down when you open the door?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
'13 Accord Coupe EXL with push to start.
Yes, engine shuts off. There is no workaround for that unless
you want a system that you give up key. I've found it's not as
big a deal as I originally thought.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
'13 Accord Coupe EXL with push to start.
Yes, engine shuts off. There is no workaround for that unless
you want a system that you give up key. I've found it's not as
big a deal as I originally thought.
This isn't true. There is now a module that's available so you don't have to give up a key for remote start with the push button start. If the shop tells you that, call another one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This isn't true. There is now a module that's available so you don't have to give up a key for remote start with the push button start. If the shop tells you that, call another one.
Like he said if you don't give up a key then the car will turn off once you open the door. If you don't want that then you have to give up a key even with the module.

·
Enjoying Life!!!
55 Posts
I thought the car shutting off would suck, but realistically even in other cars with key you have to put the key in and turn so here all you do is push a button. Not that big of a deal really. I just hate having two key fobs. Shit happens!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Please provide something to support your statement. I researched this extensively and spoke with the people who make the bypass modules and they have been consistent....
>module to not give up key = engine shuts off
>module with spare key = engine stays on and is NOT RECOMMENDED because this allows theft of vehicle easier

I contacted my installer today about this and he called module maker while I was there...no update and none expected. They make the modules for other Honda/Acura vehicles that have been on the market for awhile...same; engine shuts off unless you want to give up a key.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Please provide something to support your statement. I researched this extensively and spoke with the people who make the bypass modules and they have been consistent....
>module to not give up key = engine shuts off
>module with spare key = engine stays on and is NOT RECOMMENDED because this allows theft of vehicle easier

I contacted my installer today about this and he called module maker while I was there...no update and none expected. They make the modules for other Honda/Acura vehicles that have been on the market for awhile...same; engine shuts off unless you want to give up a key.
I had a 2010 TSX before the Accord that had remote start with a module installed. Granted, it wasn't a push button start. However, it didn't turn off when I opened the door. It would continue to run unless I stepped on the brake before turning the key to RUN.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a 2010 TSX before the Accord that had remote start with a module installed. Granted, it wasn't a push button start. However, it didn't turn off when I opened the door. It would continue to run unless I stepped on the brake before turning the key to RUN.
Well that's fine, but things change. My 2009 Accord worked that way too...new generations don't.
I stand by my statements on how it operates unless you have proof I'm wrong, as you have indicated!

PUSH TO START cars need module for remote start; it does not require key and engine shuts off when you open door.
Other option is to use a module that leaves a key in the car which will allow remote start and engine to not shut off, but is not recommended for security reasons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the name/brand of this module that allows remote start using the factory key fob in push button start models and doesn't require you to give up a key? I'd be okay with having to restart the car once I get in.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts