Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
EarthDreams
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after rattle-proofing the inside of my trunk and rear speaker deck I closed the trunk and threw on some bass-heavy garbage rap to see if all rattles were eliminated. On the inside everything sounded smooth, but when I got out I heard some extremely loud rattling so I checked it out and it was the chrome trunk piece vibrating like crazy. I then took the carpet off the inside of the trunk lid to see if I could access some tabs or bolts holding the trim on, but couldn't find anything. I tried pulling the piece off (because it seemed to have some serious wiggle-age to it) and in the process of doing so the one side slightly popped off.. But then a piece of plastic fell out. After analyzing the plastic piece that dropped into my trunk... Yup. I broke something.

So my question is, does anyone know how to get this cheap plastic piece off? I searched high and low on the web and on DA but couldn't find anything. Thanks. Hopefully it's cheap if I need to replace it..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
3,699 Posts
Looking at the parts diagram for the trunk, it looks like a series of plastic clips and 1-2 bolts. More than likely, you need to remove the trunk liner to access the bolts from the inside.
Yup. Remove trunk liner. Unscrew the two bolts that hold the chrome piece. Pop the entire piece off of the trunk. I had to take mine off to remove a bolt that fell behind the tail light. It's not hard at all. While you have it out, you can line the openings with some craft felt paper and that will quiet down the rattles.

Do you have a picture of the piece of plastic that fell out?

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
Today after rattle-proofing the inside of my trunk and rear speaker deck I closed the trunk and threw on some bass-heavy garbage rap to see if all rattles were eliminated. On the inside everything sounded smooth, but when I got out I heard some extremely loud rattling so I checked it out and it was the chrome trunk piece vibrating like crazy. I then took the carpet off the inside of the trunk lid to see if I could access some tabs or bolts holding the trim on, but couldn't find anything. I tried pulling the piece off (because it seemed to have some serious wiggle-age to it) and in the process of doing so the one side slightly popped off.. But then a piece of plastic fell out. After analyzing the plastic piece that dropped into my trunk... Yup. I broke something.

So my question is, does anyone know how to get this cheap plastic piece off? I searched high and low on the web and on DA but couldn't find anything. Thanks. Hopefully it's cheap if I need to replace it..

They're not as cheap as you'd think. I hit something in a parking lot and cracked the one on the front lower grille. The black plastic grille was only like $15, but the plastic chrome strip was almost $70.

·
EarthDreams
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the liner off and didn't see any bolts or clips that looked like they were connected to the chrome piece. All the bolts I saw seemed like they connected to the taillights. I guess I'll have to try again when I have more time and light available. I don't have a picture of the broken plastic piece either. It looked like half of a plastic washer though (that's the only way I can describe it).

I'll be sure to stay off your block. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near someone who references Peanuts. And yes you're absolutely right, any audiophile who has over 100 watts of amplified bass obviously lacks the ability to remove trim pieces without snapping them.

Thanks to those who offered useful input and advice. I appreciate it and hope to be able to help you all out and offer the same support somewhere down the line.

·
KuruptAccord
83 Posts
I just lost this piece the other day while driving! Where can I buy a new one? I can't find it anywhere and I really don't want to go to the dealer

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,369 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just lost this piece the other day while driving! Where can I buy a new one? I can't find it anywhere and I really don't want to go to the dealer
Disregard my previous post to you. I just realized you have an EXL so im pretty sure it's a different part number. The one i have was taken off my 15 Sport. I just put it on Ebay a few minutes ago , totally forgot i even had it till i saw your post lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The chrome trim is held on with two bolts (Orange) and six white clips (blue and green) I took this pic back when I was swapping the taillights, I don’t have mismatched taillights!
Thanks for this picture and explanation. My backup camera on my 2014 died and since it was out of warranty (105,000 miles!) i wanted to change the camera myself. It was plug and play after you told me how to remove the chrome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts