Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's these little round plastic buttons that hold the carpet covering under the inside of the trunk lid. Is there a right or wrong way to remove them? Basically, I'm planning to drill a hole to install an NMO mount antenna on the trunk. How to I pull that covering offa there? Thanks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Best to get a trim tool for this as you'll never end up breaking any of them and they come off effortlessly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Best to get a trim tool for this as you'll never end up breaking any of them and they come off effortlessly.
^ Exactly. I've taken my fair share of the pins out throughout my years of working on cars. Finally picked up a set of plier style pullers after using screwdrivers forever and can't believe I didn't get them sooner. Made take out these pins a breeze.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
462 Posts
^^^^exactly. I just pulled up my trunk carpet for soundproofing and a sub install. Use a trim tool. So much easier!

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Is that the trim tool College Hills Honda sells for $8.95? If not can you give me a link to the tool you are talking about?

Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I picked up a 5 piece set at advance auto for about $15. Worked perfect

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Now that's why I really like this forum!!!! Lots of useful, helpful information. I can't begin to tell you how many of those plastic pins I have destroyed. Never knew about this particular tool but I plan to add it to my tool chest very soon. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Broke out the plastic trim tool set and figured out something. Each plastic button consists of 2 smaller plastic parts that go together. The head of the button has a seam all around the outer edge where the two parts meet.

If you wedge a flat edge of a trim tool into that seam and partly separate the two plastic parts, the button loosens right out of the hole and practically falls into your hand. Then, when you go to plug the buttons back in to re-install the carpet liner, you want to hold that seam split open while shoving the button back in the hole. Once it's in the hole, the push the two plastic parts back together and it'll be firmly back in place.

Doing it this way avoids the need to force anything. No pulling or prying with a screwdriver is needed. I can post some photos if this is not clear.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you wedge a flat edge of a trim tool into that seam and partly separate the two plastic parts, the button loosens right out of the hole and practically falls into your hand.
Or.... Just use a screwdriver. I'm not saying a trim tool isn't worthwhile, but these little clips are very easy to remove. I read this thread earlier and was wondering why anyone would need a trim tool for this. However, if this removal process wasn't clear/obvious, then I now understand. These aren't the old trim pins of past with the "threads" on them that you just force out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Really the trim tool is only needed for the push pins not the split ones. The 2 piece pins are cake to remove. The push pins can be a PITA without the trim tool.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed, a trim tool is not a must. A butterknife would work. So let's have some photos! :thmsup:

Here's where you can see the 2 separate pieces that make up each button.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the groove/seam that you want to slice into with a trim tool or screwdriver. Once you have opened up the seam, the button should easily fall right out. You don't have to completely separate the 2 pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you're putting the carpet liner back on, you want to hold the button in the open/split position with 3 fingers while sliding it back into the hole. Once the button is back in the hole, you can then press the 2 plastic pieces back together again (no longer split open).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
OP is talking about the plastic piece that have no groove, unlike the push-lock. Like what's holding down the rear deck cover. OP need a tool with an end that split into two like a crow bar. If that made sense... Search for "Jephu" he made a tutorial on how to do trunk mod. In the video he shows how remove the carpet cover on the trunk lid.

Here you go:

http://youtu.be/c_qi33RzxPo

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a plastic tab attached to the right part of trunk lid that pokes through a slit in the carpet liner. You can slide that plastic tab into the slit first when putting the carpet liner back on. That will help hold it in place while you're putting the buttons back in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts