Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

My Marysville 2003 Accord Coupe has a bit of loose trim on the passenger door. The trim is tight at the bottom but right near the top it has come away from the door. This is the black plastic trim, a vertical piece just aft of the window, as shown in the image.

When I look under the loose trim, it seems that a peg has broken off with the broken piece remaining in the door. I'd like to get this trim off and fix it or install a replacement.

Perhaps this trim just yanks off and up, but often these Honda piece are full of little tricks, so I'd like to know the proper way.

Thanks......................

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would suggest that when you have a problem like this you go to an online part seller and look up the part in question. The available illustrations will often tell you a lot. In your case you'll see there are 2 screws (under the rubber) holding the trim on. I'd saved the link because I need to replace a couple of pieces on my wife's 03.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...y4=KA5AT&catcgry5=MOLDING+-+SIDE+SILL+GARNISH

There are also 2 clips underneath. They are released by pulling it up - towards the roof - then away.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

It took me a while to figure out the vertical 5 8 numbers on this trim piece. I think it is number 5 or number 8 for left and right doors, versus number 58, which does not exist in the parts list.

I hope the rubber to expose the screws is just a pull out and tuck back in affair.

I any case, this will likely be a Spring repair as the ugliness of Winter has hit us in Ontario.

Much appreciation......................

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally summoned the courage to start yanking the vertical window sash off my Coup in an effort to repair the broken peg or stub on the underside of this trim.

The new car was delivered to me this way in 2003, but I didn't notice it for quite some time.

Peeling back the door seal near the top reveals the top holding screw. The bottom screw requires the window seal be pulled from its groove.

Then "up and out" with the trim.

The pictures attached show the sash off. the underside of the trim, and the close up epoxy fillet that hopefully will hold this mounting stub in place. There's not much load on the epoxied joint as the screw pulls the end of the stub to the door and the epoxied joint just pulls in the flexible trim about 3 or 4 millimeters inward.

But who knows the whole thing might pop part.

When I epoxy such things I get the parts very clean and de-oiled with good clean solvent.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts