Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surely the resting oil level is below the oil filter, correct?

·
Cruising in Montana
4,049 Posts
Of the oil that is in the engine, yes. But the filter itself is full of it, and (at least on the 4 cyl engines), a lot of that leaks out when the filter is removed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You'll lose at least 1/2 of a quart of not more. But, I have to ask why are you removing the filter right now as opposed to at the oil change?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But, I have to ask why are you removing the filter right now as opposed to at the oil change?
I did change the oil today. But the loop oil wrench was too big, and so I couldn't get the filter off. I'll be getting a new wrench tomorrow.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did change the oil today. But the loop oil wrench was too big, and so I couldn't get the filter off. I'll be getting a new wrench tomorrow.
For 4 cylinder engine, you will make a lot of oily mess behind the engine block. also, oil filter needs only hand tight, no need for wrench unless it was tightened by dealer tech or fast lube type technicians with 100 ft-lbs

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For 4 cylinder engine, you will make a lot of oily mess behind the engine block. also, oil filter needs only hand tight, no need for wrench unless it was tightened by dealer tech or fast lube type technicians with 100 ft-lbs
The last oil change was at a lube place. It's too tight for me to loosen by hand.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quick Lube places: quickest way to get your oil changed (it they actually change any), and also quickest way to destroy your car.

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
Stay away from quick lube places. Good move to start changing oil yourself.

Get a pair of large jaw clamp style oil filter wrench and it will most likely get it off. But be prepared to puncture a screwdriver through it to remove the filter if it's on that tight. Hopefully you don't end up with a mangled mess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought this at Harbor Freight without really thinking about the size. I figured it adjusted to all sizes. But alas, it doesn't go down small enough for the Accord filter.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use the
K & L Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench. It‘s great, but it can sometimes cut into existing oil filter.

Reactions: ashirm98

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yes, the vast majority of the oil is in the pan when the engine is not running. A small amount will be in the filter and retained just behind the filter in the engine by the anti-drainback valve (~0.5 qt). Have some new oil on hand to adjust the level after replacing the filter.

I've been using a rubber strap wrench to remove my Accord's filter. But I finally upgraded to a jaw type. Next change will be the first time using it. I've always remembered those working so well from my short stint as a lube tech. Those metal band type are the absolute worst, I've never had any success with them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the vast majority of the oil is in the pan. A small amount will be in the filter and retained by the anti-drainback valve (~0.5 qt). Have some new oil on hand to adjust the level after replacing the filter.

I've been using a rubber strap wrench to remove my Accord's filter. But I finally upgraded to a jaw type. Next change will be the first time using it. I've always remembered those working so well from my short stint as a lube tech. Those metal band type are the absolute worst, I've never had any success with them.
I just bought this one from Home Depot tonight, so I don't have to wait for a shipment from Amazon. It has good reviews and is durable, with a lifetime warranty with no receipt required. I tested it on the new filter and it fits snug. I'll give it a go in the morning.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I just bought this one from Home Depot tonight, so I don't have to wait for a shipment from Amazon. It has good reviews and is durable, with a lifetime warranty with no receipt required. I tested it on the new filter and it fits snug. I'll give it a go in the morning.

View attachment 515536
These aren't a bad option.
My biggest issue with these are, if it loses grip as you're turning it, you're busting your knuckles when it slips!
Like t-rd said, the pliers are on of the best.

The other one(which I have is) the semi-custom cap wrench, but you can only typically use it on THAT size oil filter...and I don't have other vehicles...so that's what I use!
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-end-cap-wrench-65-mm-14-flutes-61600/10617953-p

·
'07 EX-L Navi 6-6 Sedan
221 Posts
I bought one of these several years ago and it works flawlessly every time:

Peter

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
^

I have the same thing, best oil filter cap ever, the one from Honda. It does not slip like the aftermarket ones. It's expensive but totally worth it.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I've had one of these for as long as i can remember.... Sometimes I use a large channel lock too...

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
Large channel locks (like a plumber's tool) as well as an actual pipe wrench.

Or go all Pulp Fiction and get a pair of pliers and a blowtorch...

Reactions: t-rd and dgates01

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Channel locks are what I first used, but they didn't quite work.

The tool I bought last night did work. Lesson learned to make things easier next time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts