Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
^

I have the same thing, best oil filter cap ever, the one from Honda. It does not slip like the aftermarket ones. It's expensive but totally worth it.
That's one helluva mark-up that Honda puts on that tool. For a $30 tool, Honda's pocketing at least $25 in profit. It does have great reviews, but still. I hate it when companies gouge.

·
'07 EX-L Navi 6-6 Sedan
221 Posts
It is worth every penny. If you amortize the cost over all the (hassle free, perfect/repeatable operation) oil filter changes you will do for the rest of your Honda's life, the cost is in the noise.

Reactions: mtts60

·
Registered
450 Posts
NAPA sells the 3/8 drive end cap oil wrench for a few bucks, they come in a variety of sizes. So what is the best way to get the right size? Go to the oil filter section, look up what the Accord uses for an oil filter, then go over to where the oil filter removal wrenches are and size one up with the oil filter. They work great and they don't slip.
This is not rocket science!

Reactions: jimijam

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you haven't done it yet buy the filter cap wrench type it was mentioned in another post. I have had Hondas for years. I am also a mechanic also. I'm not sure of the year of your car. It has a 3/8 hex for a ratchet zip zip you are done.If you crushed it already use a adjustable claw style filter wrench.or a large channel lock pliers. BTW not to sound cocky I can't believe how many posts for filter removal lol I hope you get it off with little trouble.Those fnnn quick lube places get you all the time

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
If you haven't done it yet buy the filter cap wrench type it was mentioned in another post. I have had Hondas for years. I am also a mechanic also. I'm not sure of the year of your car. It has a 3/8 hex for a ratchet zip zip you are done.If you crushed it already use a adjustable claw style filter wrench.or a large channel lock pliers. BTW not to sound cocky I can't believe how many posts for filter removal lol I hope you get it off with little trouble.Those fnnn quick lube places get you all the time
And yet....your post added nothing new.

Reactions: Greg RC

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My experience with those cap style tools is that they slip too. But I suppose that's because mine was an aftermarket tool. Perhaps the Honda tool and the OEM filter are a perfect match. Does the Honda tool work with aftermarket filters too? It's probably luck of the draw then.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes, did it a couple of days ago.

Next up, the transmission fluid drain and refill. I could've done it at the same time, but didn't have the Honda fluid on hand. I'll be repalcing the strainer/filter too, as I don't believe it's ever been replaced in 265K miles.

·
2018 Touring 2.0T
22 Posts
I got a set of two rubber strap wrenches (large & small) years ago, don't remember where (Lowes? Home Depot?). Between them they fit everything. The large one lives in the garage but I keep the smaller one in the kitchen to open recalcitrant jars.

·
Registered
432 Posts
We have various makes and models, and so the adjustable one makes sense. The metal is way thicker and durable, but once you grip, you just wrencj it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought one of these several years ago and it works flawlessly every time:

Peter
I wish I'd stumbled upon this thread earlier. The wrench design matters more then one might think! I too went to change the oil a while back, only to find the damn filter too tight to remove by hand. I saw this Honda wrench, but didn't grasp the need to spend $30 on a simple tool. The cheap cap wrench I bought doesn't have the 3/8 socket 'boss' welded to the top. The socket drive sticks through a square cutout in the cap, into the concave area of the wrench...and into the top of the damn filter! After some fiddling, I got just enough drive socket to bite while at the same time mashing the wrench down onto the filter. One really needs three hands for the job!

And then the damn thing bled like no other car I've serviced. I had a shallow pan set up to catch the anticipated'few drips,' but it was completely overwhelmed by the tsunami of oil that poured forth from the breach! Great, now I've got a big-ass puddle of oil on the driveway! Why, Honda? WHY?!?! :eek: :p

Coming from a 92 Accord, I found that the 7th Gen filter procedure IS quite a bit more physically difficult. Poor access, combined with the smaller diameter filter - cranked on tight by some Monkey Lube ape! - make hand removal impossible. I've never needed a dedicated filter wrench, and didn't realize that the specific wrench design also mattered. Rather than snarking at others, how about offering some practical advice? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I used a rubber bungee cord one time to take off an oil filter I was having trouble with. Stretched it out, looped it around, and used the two overlapping ends for leverage on the twist.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
And then the damn thing bled like no other car I've serviced. I had a shallow pan set up to catch the anticipated'few drips,' but it was completely overwhelmed by the tsunami of oil that poured forth from the breach! Great, now I've got a big-ass puddle of oil on the driveway! Why, Honda? WHY?!?! Coming from a 92 Accord, I found that the 7th Gen filter procedure IS quite a bit more physically difficult. Poor access, combined with the smaller diameter filter - cranked on tight by some Monkey Lube ape! - make hand removal impossible. I've never needed a dedicated filter wrench, and didn't realize that the specific wrench design also mattered.
It does get a little easier after you've done it a few times. I now just hand-tighten the filter and don't even use a wrench, although I have the proper tool if it needs it. I also put a ziploc bag around the filter as I'm slowly removing it. It's a bit awkward, but does help catch some of the oil that will spill out. The pan will catch the rest.

I use to go to Valvoline for oil changes. You drive in and stay in your car. You're usually in and out of there in 15 minutes. It was about 40 bucks for their cheapest oil. As for Valvoline, if you wanted synthetic oil, they had an insane $40 extra mark-up. That's crazy considering they're in the oil business and can get the stuff dirt cheap. I now get two 5 quart jugs of synthetic oil at Costco for $20. So for synthetic oil and a filter, I'm paying about 15 bucks by doing it myself.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts