Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m currently working to get the passenger side axle replaced on my 2006 but the axle nut is REALLY stuck on there. I’ve tried heat, penetrant, my electric impact, and a long breaker bar. I even jumped up and down on the breaker bar but nothing. I now am trying to dremel the nut off with little success so far. Anyone have any ideas to get this axle nut off? Should I just keep dremeling away until its cut off completely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Turbo lag
1,772 Posts
How powerful is the impact you're using?

·
Cruising in Montana
4,309 Posts
How is a Dremel going to do what an electric impact, heat and a breaker bar can't do?

Cutting that nut likely requires a hand-held grinder with a cut-off wheel. You can rent them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The impact is a ridgid 1/2 inch impact, not sure on the exact torque of it.

I got a small notch of the nut cut off with the dremel, but it still won’t budge. I do have an angle grinder, so can give that a try.

Angle grinder and then the impact gun FINALLY got it off, thanks guys! Now to replace the axle and get 1 new stud since I nicked it.

Well, anyone have tips on getting the axle out of the intermediate shaft (5MT Tranny). Im beating on it with a hammer and pry bar, but no luck. Is there a tool I can rent to help out?

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,420 Posts
Angle grinder and then the impact gun FINALLY got it off, thanks guys! Now to replace the axle and get 1 new stud since I nicked it.
The axle nut is torqued at 185 ft-lb. With rust, you may need at least 300 ft-lb or 400 ft-lb to move it. Your electric impact, often 200 ft-lb, good enough for most lug nuts, but under powered for axle nuts. With a good gun, dremel and grinder are not needed.

Reactions: WDHewson

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The axle nut is torqued at 185 ft-lb. With rust, you may need at least 300 ft-lb or 400 ft-lb to move it. Your electric impact, often 200 ft-lb, good enough for most lug nuts, but under powered for axle nuts. With a good gun, dremel and grinder are not needed.
Yeah I’m going to have to invest in air tools whenever I have the money and space. For now I’m glad I at least got that part off. Now I’m having trouble removing it from the intermediate shaft…I’ve been trying a pry bar and hammering like it says in the FSM for a manual transmission with no luck.

Well for anyone who may come across this thread in the future, I finally got the inner joint out using this method in this video:

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,420 Posts
...I’ve been trying a pry bar and hammering like it says in the FSM for a manual transmission with no luck.
The axle is secured in the mid shaft only by a snap spring. Do you have a metal rod? or long screw driver. Line up the rod almost parallel to the axle, hit the rod with a hammer, it should come out without much difficulty. The problem with pry bar is that it has a little cure at the end, and you need force parallel to the axle.

Reactions: Hudouc

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The axle is secured in the mid shaft only by a snap spring. Do you have a metal rod? or long screw driver. Line up the rod almost parallel to the axle, hit the rod with a hammer, it should come out without much difficulty. The problem with pry bar is that it has a little cure at the end, and you need force parallel to the axle.
I will have to keep that in mind for next time, thank you. I was able to get it out by using vice grips and reinserting the shaft, then pulling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I’m going to have to invest in air tools whenever I have the money and space. For now I’m glad I at least got that part off. Now I’m having trouble removing it from the intermediate shaft…I’ve been trying a pry bar and hammering like it says in the FSM for a manual transmission with no luck.
I bought a Bauer 1/2" Electric Impact from HFT a few years ago; it's rated about 1000 foot pounds of torque; which is probably an exaggeration. However, it has never met a bolt or nut that didn't quickly yield. About $100
Air tools only work well with a very large air tank and hoses with larger than normal I.D.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My 1/2" impact just rattled forever on the 19 mm crankshaft pulley nut on my 1999 CR-V.

I bought a breaker bar of about 3 feet, and properly supported, my average strength made short work of it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a Bauer 1/2" Electric Impact from HFT a few years ago; it's rated about 1000 foot pounds of torque; which is probably an exaggeration. However, it has never met a bolt or nut that didn't quickly yield. About $100
Air tools only work well with a very large air tank and hoses with larger than normal I.D.
Is this the one you purchased?

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Accord EX sedan 6MT Alabaster Silver
21 Posts
I had an axle nut I couldn't get off with my Ryobi impact driver 1/2". I drove to local mechanic and asked him to use his air tool to loosen, and then tighten for me again. Drove home and finished my job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 1/2" impact just rattled forever on the 19 mm crankshaft pulley nut on my 1999 CR-V.

I bought a breaker bar of about 3 feet, and properly supported, my average strength made short work of it.
A good long breaker bar usually has more torque than a impact gun depending on how you apply force too it. Since your leg muscles are typically stronger than your arm muscles...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts