Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· 8th Gen Believer
5,651 Posts
I would first find a better mechanic. I'd bet good money dealers have overcharged you for parts and service. If you search the Drive Accord site, there are a lot of posts about where to get better prices for OEM parts. Since you're a "stickler for maintenance," that makes you an easy mark at a dealer. Keep that to yourself. I worked at a Mercedes-Volvo dealer in another lifetime, and I know their antics. I think your biggest problem is lack of decent, honest service.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,651 Posts
My question is, does it really cost 4K to replace all parts at this mileage?
Obviously I don’t know the exact condition of your car, but if the car has been well maintained so far, most likely it doesn’t need that much in maintenance at all at that mileage.

I did the timing belt, water pump ie. the whole package at a local independent shop I trust about 1.5 years ago for about $800 or so. Granted, this was an indie shop that typically charges less than the dealerships, you can still get it done at the dealership for $1-1.5k, depending on your area. As far as the rest, spark plugs and valve adjust shouldn’t cost more than a couple hundred each. Spark plug replacement can even be a DIY job if you feel like it. Oil change, trans fluid and brake fluid (that’s if you need them at the same time). That’s about 2k-2.5k all in.
This ^^^^^ Every V6 owner has to spend around $1,200 - $1,500 at 100k miles. There's plenty enough time to prepare for it. You can mess around with cost per mile and all kinds of silly math. (1) The fact remains you have a V6 engine in a solidly built car. (2) you will pay considerably more for another car + taxes, interest, insurance. (3) at some point, you'll have to do expensive maintenance on that car, any car. Rinse repeat. Fix the V6 car and enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts