Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· My car talks back
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have an 2003 Accord EX with navi and XM. What I wonder is has anyone tried to replace an older unit like mine with a newer one? When I say head unit I mean the whole shebang: changer, display and radio/climate unit. I figure I can find a working head from an 08 or 09 in a junk yard or Craigs List for fairly cheap. Has anyone tried this? Is it a straight replacement or is rewiring necessary?

Thanks folks!

· Registered
2,878 Posts
Why in gods name would u want a 8th gen deck for an 03? it would look like ASS in your car.

· My car talks back
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the shape won't fit, but the wiring might?

· Texas Ground Pounder
1,376 Posts
Yeah, the 03 did not come with XM. You can however, upgrade to the 04-05 model to get XM but you would have to change sub-display and add the XM antenna and a couple of other things. That's about the best you can do going OEM. 8th gen unit will not work. Fit or wiring wise.

· My car talks back
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But the 2007 will fit?

· 2003 Accord 10 1/2 years. 2013 Civic - Lemon.
4,573 Posts
But the 2007 will fit?
Yes, any head unit from a 2003-2007 Accord will work; however, you MUST make sure the head unit has the same climate control featured in your vehicle. If you have single climate control, you need a head unit with single climate control. If Dual, then find one with Dual. You also need to find one for your body style...if you have a sedan, you need to find one for a sedan. Same applies if you have a coupe. The reason: the coupe and sedan have different dash illumination.

· My car talks back
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, any head unit from a 2003-2007 Accord will work; however, you MUST make sure the head unit has the same climate control featured in your vehicle. If you have single climate control, you need a head unit with single climate control. If Dual, then find one with Dual. You also need to find one for your body style...if you have a sedan, you need to find one for a sedan. Same applies if you have a coupe. The reason: the coupe and sedan have different dash illumination.

Okay now, that may kill my idea. My coupe is fairly rare. It has dual. I doubt I'll find one in a junkyard. Crap!

Thanks.

· Texas Ground Pounder
1,376 Posts
Ebay is your friend. That's where I got mine.

· Registered
163 Posts
Gentlemen, some of you are already a part of the thread for the autosoul head unit but for those of you that are not, here is a link you may find interesting if you are looking to replace your head unit with something else while maintaining an "OEM" look! Here is the link:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40811&page=32

· 2003 Accord 10 1/2 years. 2013 Civic - Lemon.
4,573 Posts
And until all the problems with the Autosoul are corrected (it is a Chinese aftermarket head unit designed for Non-US vehicles), it isn't worth the money or the time. It is also not designed for Accords with the OEM Navi, and the original poster already has OEM Navi. I would not necessarily call it an "OEM" look since it doesn't really match the dashboard. They also can't seem to get the HVAC to work in a coupe either. They can't seem to figure that one out since the coupe and sedan have the same HVAC wiring diagrams for the Auto Climate Control system. But some are willing to take that risk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.