Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'07 Accord Coupe V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I replace the stock 17" wheels with 16" on my 2007 coupe? It's an EX-L V6 with the 5 speed automatic.

I like the performance and handling of the 17" with low profile tires. However, the car is now used mainly for commuting and the roads here are horrendous. I've had repeated sidewall damage and the wheels themselves are now damaged. I can't get a much higher profile tire on 17" rims w/o running into clearance, speedometer and mileage issues, so I'm considering 16" wheels with a standard profile tire. Going to a smaller wheel with a higher profile tire will sacrifice performance, but should provide a more comfortable ride and reduce the likelihood of road damage.

Would there be any problems doing this? Interference with the brake rotor? Any other issues? TIA

·
Registered
26 Posts
According to Tire Rack 205/60r16 is an Optional size. Do you have a donut? Usually the donut is on a smaller wheel so check that as well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a 05 V6 6-speed coupe and my winter wheels are 16" (OEM wheels are 17").

The 6-speed has bigger brakes then the AT, so you won't have any problem doing so.

Just choose a 16" tire so that the overall diameter of our new wheel/tire combo is the same as the 17" wheel/tire combo. Lots of free calculator on the web...

·
Broke A$$ Superhero
46 Posts
out of curiosity...why not change the tires to some with a bigger sidewall? I would think that a smaller tire is going to be less stable on a car this size and it might throw off your speedo...just a thought

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
out of curiosity...why not change the tires to some with a bigger sidewall? I would think that a smaller tire is going to be less stable on a car this size and it might throw off your speedo...just a thought
to further explain post #3 above, putting a bigger sidewall on his 17' wheel means the tire is taller and the overall diameter will increase and will throw off his speedo for sure. "minus" size the wheel to 16" and he can run a bigger/taller sidewall than he currently has and still meet the same overall diameter that he has now, thereby not affecting his speedo at all.

·
'07 Accord Coupe V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto what Jimijam said. I'm replacing the stock 17" wheels with 16" AR883 Mavericks and the tires will be Uniroyal TigerPaw Tourings in 215/60/R16.

Not sexy and I'll lose some cornering, but much more practical for the roads here and the type of driving I do these days.

·
'07 Accord Coupe V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wheels & tires were done Saturday and the first impressions are pretty good. The ride is definitely more comfortable and somewhat surprisingly, quieter. It rained yesterday, so I wasn't able to do much in the way of aggressive cornering or fast acceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts