Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor backed to my fender two weeks ago.
I sent it to one of the GEICO Auto Repair Xpress shop and the repair was done today. My car is Crystal black(it has the metallic sparkle but Crystal black is the color name when i bought the car) the fender color is showing purple-ish under my phone flashlight and it is pretty obviously mismatched under the shop manager flashlight. But they are keep saying it might be the metallic whatever stuff and will take a look under the sunshine tomorrow.

I am wondering is there any trick he can play without repainting it?
i think he might just spray something on there to make it closer to the original color and say some shit like it is impossible to completely match...
I just want to be prepared to deal with it. Please shout out if you have any advice or experience.

It is a pretty big KIA dealer, I can not believe they cant even match a pure black color car.....:dunno::dunno::dunno: Also, do all you guys 2013 Crystal black has the metallic? just wondering.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Geico was your first mistake. WORST insurance company ever.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts

·
46 Posts
Geico was your first mistake. WORST insurance company ever.
I was under Geico insurance when I was driving my Scion tC...Someone rear ended me on the Parkway and they repaired my car at a Chevy dealership. When it was time for pickup I almost fainted...the color mismatch was SO obvious and their excuse was, "it was too difficult to make it the original color." The color was called Flint Mica - Gray Paint with Green/Purpish metallic flakes. It looked okay on a cloudy day but so bad on a sunny day lol.
Good luck OP...unfortunately I don't know a fix unless maybe you dish out mad dough for a new painted bumper from Honda?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Don't accept the car unless you are satisfied 100%. My 2000 Accord was hit in the front by a car that ran a stop sign and they had Geico. They referred me to a large chain body shop. Before I even saw the car they called and said that they were not happy with the results because the front bumper and hood didn't match the rest of the car because the car was 10 years old. They feathered the paint all the way back towards the doors so that it didn't look like it was repainted.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
Geico Auto Repair Xpress was your first mistake. Perhaps the WORST auto body shop ever.
Let me fix this for you.

OP, I would recommend seeking out a competing body shop next time. You do NOT have to go to the Geico shop just 'cause their your insurance holder.

http://www.geico.com/claims/claimsprocess/vehicle-damage-basics/

I have Geico, and had to have a new hood and front clip on my '07 Impala after hitting a deer. I went to a very competent shop that does excellent work, Geico paid them, and I drove off with a beautiful car.

·
Registered
506 Posts
First off, who the insurance company is has absolutely NOTHING to do with your paint not matching.
Second, have it repainted until it meets your satisfaction. Contact Geico and make sure you let them know that you're not happy.
And for the record any metallic paint can be difficult to match, it is dependent on the way the metal flake lays and the ability of the painter.
Keep after them until you're happy with it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
What paint system do they use? Normally Dupont or PPG or BASF should be able to match any color, especially a new car where there has not been any fading. There maybe "alternative" formulas available to the body shop which may be a better match on your car the paint guy should be able to tell. I would have them mix up some alternatives and give you some spray card samples and see what looks better. BTW Honda uses water based paints (as do most manufacturers) and a lot of body shops still use solvent based paints. So hopefully they are using water based paint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
While this might not really help the OP now, but I have been in contact with a company called Revemoto for the past couple of weeks to replace my own passenger side fender:

http://www.revemoto.com/

They have confirmed that they are able to get shipment of the 9th gen fenders some time next week and will begin offering them to us unfortunate owners. By all accounts from their Yelp and Facebook pages, the response seems to be generally very good in terms of paint matching and what not.

I'm not sure if the OP can still switch things up, but I was quoted around $400 when it was all said and done (~$200 for fender, $150 for paint, $50 for shipping). Pricing seems to be right about average to pretty good, depending on your local area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My old civic was rear ended by a Malibu. USAA sent me to a shop near me and they did a bad job so I complained FOREVER and finally they sent me to another shop (they made first shop pay for all repairs and a rental (Same Malibu model lol)). the second shop did a great job they even allowed me to swap my bumper with an 2005 civic coup bumper (OEM Honda) The old one which the old shop put was aftermarket.

District 2-20131122-00159.jpg

Take it somewhere else and let them verify your complain
When the second shop looked at my car they were like OK we are going to email USAA with pictures and explain to them how bad of a job this is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The guy hit me has GEICO, not me. I didnt even contact my insurance since it was his fault.
The new fender does has metallic in there. The only problem was the base color look purple under the flashlight compare to the original pure black color.

They said they have repaint it. I will see how is it this time.
I didnt think too much since i thought it was pretty easy job and everyone said the black is easy to match. Apparently i was wrong.

thanks for all the comment.

·
Honda only...
304 Posts
You should notified your insurance company of any accident ,to protect yourself from the other person in case later on he said he was hurt in the accident .
It doesn't matter if it was his fault ,you should alway report it.
If it wasn't your fault your rate will NOT go up or go on your records.
It would be just a simple disclosure on your part. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should notified your insurance company of any accident ,to protect yourself from the other person in case later on he said he was hurt in the accident .
I think if he was hurt, himself or his insurance will be responsible for it. I cant think of any case would need my insurance to do anything.

Also, I think after certain times of "being hit", your insurance will still go up even none of them is your fault because it tells the insurance company the way you drive has high potential involve to a accident instead of just being unlucky.

I am not worrying i will pass that number. I have not got into a accident in the past 8 years since i drive but I cant think of a reason i should to report to them and let them make a mark on my record.

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Agreed. You should never take the car back or sign papers till the car is back to your likings. Your the victim of the accident, you should be completely happy with the car and bitch and bitch till they get it right. I would never go to the shops the insurance company recommends, go to the shop you want to go to.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A third coat of paint is a very bad idea- too thick. It will look like sh*t. If it were me, I would have the fender taken down to bare metal, imperfections filled, primed and then repainted at a shop that can color match properly.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
This is why you ALWAYS contact your insurance company when something like this happens. That way, you have recourse when your repair isn't correct. GEICO is a POS company to deal with, and they pay the lowest of any ins. company to the direct repair facilities.

The blending of your paint wasn't done correctly. The fender is going to have to be repainted. Sorry for any issues, but I'd contact my insurance company ASAP

·
Registered
117 Posts
Another mis-informed post. Never call or put a claim into your insurance company if the claim will be settled by the at fault parties insurance company. Your insurance company will keep a record of the claim and your one strike closer to a rate increase classification. Request that the insurance company (in this case Geico) cuts you a check. Then take the car to your body shop of choice and if you have to add money out of pocket.

Now being that Geico was singled out as the devil. I myself insure 4 cars through Geico. For the last 8 years or so my rate is almost half of what I was paying to Allstate. If I ever need to put in a claim for a repair. I will follow the same advice given above. Request a check be sent to me directly. Chose the repair shop of my choice and add the money to get genuine OEM parts. Remember, I can afford to do this because over the past 8 years I've already saved a huge amount of money by choosing to insure with Geico.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
A third coat of paint is a very bad idea- too thick. It will look like sh*t. If it were me, I would have the fender taken down to bare metal, imperfections filled, primed and then repainted at a shop that can color match properly.
You never want to remove the e-coat. If it's not prep right after, it will cause more issues down the road. Plus going down to bare metal would require epoxy primer, filler, primer, sealer, paint, & clear. Thicker than a second coat of paint & clear.

The best thing to do would be media blast the paint off, leaving the e-coat intact since it's a new fender.

Under PPG that color has 4 different formulas, with several variant under each formula. (Some have different Pearls, some have special toners) Sound like they used the wrong formula.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts