Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this forum and the DIY videos by members (Hittman), I had the confidence to change out both my front and rear brake pads last night and this morning. I've never considered myself mechanically inclined enough to mess with brakes; until now. I used the new pads from Honda (A60 for the fronts and A40 for the rears). The fronts had two V springs for each set of pads and the rears had one V spring (goes on the bottom) for each set of pads. It took me a while (two hours last night and two hours this morning) because I was going slowly and making sure I was doing everything correctly and I torqued everything back to spec. I used a C clamp and one of the old pads to push in the front piston and I used the cube tool to twist in the rear piston and line it up. Test drive went well; no more squeaky brakes!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bet it feels weird not to hear the squeeking.

I changed both my front and rears a couple months ago and oddly for weeks of driving, I kept anticipating to hear the squeal sound again. lol:banana:

·
Registered
388 Posts
are these the newest brakes that Honda released? I have the first revision and have not experienced any premature squeaking since, probably since i haven't gotten 30k on the new brakes yet :thmsup:

·
Accord Power
480 Posts
Did you guys both bed-in your pads? Its known as breaking in the pads.

It seems to be the difference between hearing the brake squeals and not hearing it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Did you check to see if your caliper bolts were in correct?
all 4 corners on my car were put in wrong at the factory.
bolt A was put in bolt B position and bolt B in bolt A position.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're the newest pads that Honda has for both the front and back that I know of. Both front and back have the V springs; the front has two V springs (top and bottom) and the rear has a single V spring that goes on the bottom of the pads.

I'm just driving normally, as I did when the car was new. I'm not doing any specific bed-in procedure for the new pads. No squeaking from the fronts any more. I did notice that on the rear pads, the inner pad was worn twice as much as the outer pad at 19K miles.

I swapped caliper pins A and B on the rear pads as indicated by the instructions that came with the rear pads; I believe it is supposed to help with premature wear. The front pads did not have any instructions to swap caliper pins. The front pads were hardly worn at all, they had about 9.5mm left on them at 19K miles. The issue with the front pads was squeaking versus premature wear as on the rears. I believe the V springs on the front pads are designed to try and eliminate the issues with squeaking. The pad material is also different (anti-squeak and anti-judder material, according to Honda). The rear pads are a different material for better durability, and the V spring and the swapping of the caliper are supposed to help with the inner pad wearing twice as fast as the outer pad. The front pads were worn evenly. I pulled all of the caliper pins and lubed them. There was not a whole lot of lube on them, although they slid in and out pretty easily. I lubed everything with Permatex Ultra Caliper lube, including the back of the pads and shims as indicated in the service manual. I didn't use the M-77 assembly paste that came with the pads at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the front pads, the fluted caliper (pin A) was already on the bottom. If you look at www.hondapartsnow.com and look at a diagram of the front brake assembly, the factory diagram has pin A on the bottom, but on the rear brake assembly the factory diagram has pin A on the top, which I guess was a mistake from what I've read, and their engineers decided that they should be swapped so that the fluted caliper (pin A) was on the bottom on the rear pads.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It looks like I will need to do an update video at some point, showing the lubing (and possible) reversing the slider pins. I'm interested to see the results of the V springs after a year or two.

The rear pads will most likely wear out more on the inner pad due to the single piston sliding caliper design. But I hope they don't squeak and last a little longer than the OEM pads.

Good job! :thmsup:

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Congratulations on doing the brake pad replacement.

I still don't understand why, knowing that Honda has crappy brake pads, you still buy Honda pads? :dunno:

·
Registered
144 Posts
My brakes feel like shit after 13k miles. My Nissan Sentra went 52k miles before it even needed pads, and even then the rotors were solid and were able to be resurfaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with Honda pads (new part numbers) because the material (rears) is supposed to be more durable, and with the addition of the V springs, the fronts are not supposed to squeak any more. I wanted to stick with Honda parts for now to see how long the "improved" material lasts. I'm hoping that they'll last much longer; comparable to how long you'd expect brake pads to last. I used to drive a BMW 318 and I would get 50K miles out of the rear pads/rotors and 100K out of the fronts before they needed replacing, although it was $500 to get the rear pads/rotors replaced. From the minimal wear on the front pads when I replaced them, I'm guessing I should be able to get 75K or more on the new front pads. I drive mostly freeway commuting and am pretty easy on brake pads. I'm getting a caliper with a digital readout and each time I change my oil/filter and rotate the tires I'm going to take a measurement of the brake pads and keep track in a spreadsheet, so that I can monitor the wear and get an idea of how long they should last. I'm curious to see if the wear is linear, or if the wear accelerates as the pads get thinner, due to increased heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts