Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced front rotors and brakes on accord coupe.

Shudder when breaking, car only had 30,000 miles.
Purchased autozone non ceramic pads and rotors. All for 80 or 90 dollars.
Had mechanic replace front rotors and pads. All for 50 and 10 tip for tech.
Problem solved.
Good luck.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Please let us know how the rotors are doing in the long term. My fear of aftermarket rotors is that they are not made of up to par metal quality. I hope they work great and don't warp just as fast as the OEM ones in your car.

When time comes, I will see if there is enough metal to turn the OEM rotors instead

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I am having the same thing. At 35,000kms Honda did a free rotor grind and it got rid of the vibrations for a while but now they are back. I have 68,000km (42,500mi) on my car. I am looking for a good set of rotors and pads to hopefully see this problem go away.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yeah i agree with the last 2 posts. I bought new StopTech Cross drilled rotors all around with Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, and i've noticed much better braking, along with less fade. Well worth the couple extra bucks over stock/regular vented rotors

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, they're probably just as quiet, if not quieter than the oem brakes. I'm for sure they aren't louder than oem. The brakes bite alot harder and because they are cross drilled, they dissipate heat better. If I push my car, I could get the OEM brakes to fade very easily. With the StopTechs, I am still yet to experience fade.

·
Banned
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please let us know how the rotors are doing in the long term. My fear of aftermarket rotors is that they are not made of up to par metal quality. I hope they work great and don't warp just as fast as the OEM ones in your car.

When time comes, I will see if there is enough metal to turn the OEM rotors instead
Rotors and pads do not feel different than oem.
Needed a quick fix for the grinding original front rotors and pads.
Recently did the rotors and pads from Honda at the dealer on my wife's 06 accord 6months ago and am not impressed by the product feel or price.

Perhaps next brake job for the accords will be the autozone ceramics or the akebono.
Any one with any suggestions I am open to new ideas.
Want the upgrade but not the big brake kit route.
Thanks

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,330 Posts
I had (and am currently having) good luck with the Centric rotors and Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads -- bought both from TireRack. I've got about 8k on this setup now and have great braking.

Centric is supposed to be the parent company of StopTech... :dunno:

My main reason for buying them was that they had painted hats and edges. Granted I could paint them myself, but I didn't feel like screwing around.

NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors are decent too, they are usually one of the higher end Raybestos rotors - just repackaged. Also, don't quote me, but I do believe that the Raybestos rotors are made either in the US or Canada.

In all honestly though -- I've known many people on forums, in town, at work, who have all ran the Autozone/Advance house brand rotors with no problems. For me they rust too quick, but if I had a non visual application, I'd run them.

Did you get the semi-metallic pads? People might complain, but they usually will give you a better bite in cold weather and are normally a bit softer than ceramics. They dust more, but you'll still stop fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, this website is awesome. Every time I have a question it seems like someone just asked it.

So I just got back from my trip (700ish miles) Everything on the car was awesome except when I hit the brakes at about 75-80mph, my steering wheel was shaking. After reading online more about it I am pretty sure its the front rotors. I have a 2008 accord lxp 83k miles. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay to get new front rotors/pads? Also, Do you guys recommend changing pads with the rotors as well even if there is life left on them?

When changing the rotors/pads do you have to get a brake system flush or anything else I should know before taking to the dealer, just want to make sure they dont try to get me to spend money I don't really HAVE to.

Thanks in advance guys.

btw..i was thinking about getting these if i went aftermarket. Thoughts?
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2854A0A0.aspx

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,330 Posts
Honestly, I think those look cheesy. For daily driven passenger sedan, you don't need slotted or drilled.

My recommendation...

Get a set of these rotors from NAPA:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...y-Front-Ultra-Premium/_/R-UBP86711_0244933748

Get a set of these pads from TireRack:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...ord+Sedan&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=LX-P+4cyl

And check out this how-to on doing brakes and do it yourself:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Honda-Accord-Front-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Wow, this website is awesome. Every time I have a question it seems like someone just asked it.

So I just got back from my trip (700ish miles) Everything on the car was awesome except when I hit the brakes at about 75-80mph, my steering wheel was shaking. After reading online more about it I am pretty sure its the front rotors. I have a 2008 accord lxp 83k miles. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay to get new front rotors/pads? Also, Do you guys recommend changing pads with the rotors as well even if there is life left on them?

When changing the rotors/pads do you have to get a brake system flush or anything else I should know before taking to the dealer, just want to make sure they dont try to get me to spend money I don't really HAVE to.

Thanks in advance guys.

Yup my exact problem as well. I have a booking with Honda tomorrow to see if is more than rotors but I have a feeling I am right that it is.

If that is the case I will be getting high quality rotors and pads. I don't drive my car hard and they are just getting worn. Really annoying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.