Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 I4 Accord currently has 105K and replaced the PCV valve for the first time no where on the manual it says to replace it, found the pcv valve to be dirty with gunk/crud building, i also added half a quart of oil at 1954mi hopefully the new PCV valve stops the oil consumption, has any one else replaced there PCV valve and looked anything like mine?

Attachments

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have my order for one coming to my Honda dealer this week. I'll chime in then.

Was yours in the ballpark of $35 too?
I paid $22 for mine at my Honda parts store.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
what i used to do is shake them , listen to ball move and check one way check value is working . you could of probably just cleaned it with some carb spray, but not bad to replace .

Also check the hose to make sure its not restricted in any way or getting mushy (rubber itself) , if so replace .

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what i used to do is shake them , listen to ball move and check one way check value is working . you could of probably just cleaned it with some carb spray, but not bad to replace .

Also check the hose to make sure its not restricted in any way or getting mushy (rubber itself) , if so replace .
Next time i'll probably just clean it but it was time to replace it since it was the original valve with 105K, why isn't the PCV valve listed in the manual for maintenance?

· Banned
14,456 Posts
why isn't the PCV valve listed in the manual for maintenance?
One of the founders here, member "Princess", had a good read on that. Her husband is a Honda Tech, and said in 20+ years he has maybe seen one PCV fail.....they either work or they do not. Test it.

That thread was from 2004 or 2005 I believe.....since then, many members seem to change them out when they do their spark plugs at 105K miles.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the founders here, member "Princess", had a good read on that. Her husband is a Honda Tech, and said in 20+ years he has maybe seen one PCV fail.....they either work or they do not. Test it.

That thread was from 2004 or 2005 I believe.....since then, many members seem to change them out when they do their spark plugs at 105K miles.
Do they normally cause oil consumption when it's not changed and look bad as my pcv valve?

· Registered
3,125 Posts
Do they normally cause oil consumption when it's not changed and look bad as my pcv valve?
It depends on how bad it is and what is bad :)

If the PCV valve is restricted or hose is where nothing gets through , then at low engine speeds like idle and low throttle you will get more crankcase pressure that has to be removed by the valve cover breather to intake hose (MAF to TB ). this can cause valves to leak oil by stems , and possible ring leakage but that probably not happen, anyway yes more oil usage.

This also cause the TB to get more gummed up cause all blow-by is going this route now , only way it can go as the no blow-by being burnt by PCV through intake .

If PCV gets stuck open then you have a condition were your low speed vacuum will be low and it would get rougher idle , low speed . This shouldn't cause oil lose but is bad all the same .

· Banned
14,456 Posts
Excellent explanation, Ed!

Yeah, I am of the school of thought to just swap it out every 105K miles because it is cheap enough. Many 7th Gen members that began to burn a little oil (1/2 quart every 5K miles) would change them and their oil burning would disappear.

Then again there are 7th Gen members with 200,000 miles+ and on their original valve- no issues. But for $22, I'll take 5 minutes and change it.

Here is member "Princess" thread from back in the day. It shows you HOW TO CHECK your valve....
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3422

P.S. Always "thank" Princess. She (and her husband) are the reason why this forum exists.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
FYI PCV = positive crankcase Ventilation valve (In reference of OP )

At least its been that way as far as I can remember (40yrs)

Pressure Control Valve is used more for something with line pressure in auto, like valvebody in a auto trans or control valve in oil system

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on how bad it is and what is bad :)

If the PCV valve is restricted or hose is where nothing gets through , then at low engine speeds like idle and low throttle you will get more crankcase pressure that has to be removed by the valve cover breather to intake hose (MAF to TB ). this can cause valves to leak oil by stems , and possible ring leakage but that probably not happen, anyway yes more oil usage.

This also cause the TB to get more gummed up cause all blow-by is going this route now , only way it can go as the no blow-by being burnt by PCV through intake .

If PCV gets stuck open then you have a condition were your low speed vacuum will be low and it would get rougher idle , low speed . This shouldn't cause oil lose but is bad all the same .
Thanks i can tell that my car idle and runs much better after i replaced it btw is it a good idea to stick with Honda OEM Pcv valve or i could use any aftermarket?

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent explanation, Ed!

Yeah, I am of the school of thought to just swap it out every 105K miles because it is cheap enough. Many 7th Gen members that began to burn a little oil (1/2 quart every 5K miles) would change them and their oil burning would disappear.

Then again there are 7th Gen members with 200,000 miles+ and on their original valve- no issues. But for $22, I'll take 5 minutes and change it.

Here is member "Princess" thread from back in the day. It shows you HOW TO CHECK your valve....
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3422

P.S. Always "thank" Princess. She (and her husband) are the reason why this forum exists.
Rick

Odd question but did your 7thgen ever burn oil? Is the k24z3 in the 8th gen similar to the 7thgen Inline 4 engine? If so how is there more complaints of oil consumption problems on the 8thgen than the 7thgen accords with the Kseries motor.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
Thanks i can tell that my car idle and runs much better after i replaced it btw is it a good idea to stick with Honda OEM Pcv valve or i could use any aftermarket?
I would stick to OEM, they set spring pressure and from what I see its made very well, compared ot other PCV valves

· Registered
171 Posts
Just replaced mine a few minutes ago on the V6 model. Mine looks different btw- a back plastic piece that's L shaped. It was covered in oil and a little bit of sludge on the longer portion of it. I took some pics but I'm not sure how to post them here.

· Registered
623 Posts
Has anyone seen any improvemnt in oil consumption by replacing their PCV? I've got a 2008 I4 and, :(, it does have an oil consumption issue similar to what others have descriped herein. Have you guys seen any improvement? Thanks

· Registered
5,931 Posts
Has anyone seen any improvemnt in oil consumption by replacing their PCV? I've got a 2008 I4 and, :(, it does have an oil consumption issue similar to what others have descriped herein. Have you guys seen any improvement? Thanks
You may want to pull the spark plugs & do a Seafoam soak followed up with replacing 1qt. of oil with Marvel Mystery Oil for the next couple of oil changes.

· Registered
4,064 Posts
I've replaced PCVs on many cars and it has never done anything for the car.

If you have an oil consumption problem it is within the realm of possibility that the PCV may have an effect. It is just highly unlikely. The PCV is nothing more than a check valve so I really can't imagine how it could have anything to do with oil consumption.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.