Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Accord LX 2.3 4cyl

I'm a novice repairman, but I decided to try replacing a bad radiator myself. Took most of the day, but it worked! Car no longer overheats.

However, now my AC does not work.

When I press the AC button, I can hear the condenser fan kick on, but no cold air. I don't think the compressor is turning on.

I noticed that the AC system is right up next to the radiator. Maybe I bumped something when I was replacing the radiator and caused a leak? Or maybe it's something electrical?

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
if ur low on freon (r134a) then the compressor wont kick on, did u test to see if the compressor is getting power (fuses, connectors). the condensor is a pretty fragile component, maybe do a uv leak test to determine is it bad or good.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
you left something unplugged

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
You left the compressor clutch unplugged or the connection to the receiver/drier unplugged. Look at the compressor, there is only 1 wire coming out of it make sure it is plugged in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double-checked the electrical connection to the compressor and turns out it wasn't fully seated. AC works now. Thank you.

Only issue remaining is that the radiator fan doesn't seem to want to come on. It will turn on along with the condenser fan when I turn the AC. However, when I was refilling the coolant, the service manual told me to idle the car until the radiator fan came on twice. It never did. Is this a problem?

·
Registered
477 Posts
It takes 21-23mins for the fan to kick on at idle from a cold start. Next time, jam a pencil at the throttle cable and let the engine idle around 2000 RPM so that it will take only half as long for the fans to kick on.

·
Super Moderator
5,581 Posts
It takes 21-23mins for the fan to kick on at idle from a cold start. Next time, jam a pencil at the throttle cable and let the engine idle around 2000 RPM so that it will take only half as long for the fans to kick on.
check your fan relay in the engine bay
Smurf is right. No need to check for relays.

If the AC is on, the radiator fan will automatically turn on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts