201 - 220 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Walmart

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Costco Interstate Batteries. Cheap and 42 month warranty. And Costco is not the type of place that is going to spend any time running battery tests if you come in and want to trade it under warranty because you state that you are having problems with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,622 Posts
There is no "best" battery.

If you want what seems to be the best, spend $300 on an Optima yellow battery. But even that dies.

I had an Interstate MTP Plus II battery last almost 5 years, OEM lasted 4 years. If you drive in fair weather areas and plug in a maintenance minder whenever the car stops, it'll last a long time. If you drive in extreme heat and cold sometimes, they die faster. If you drive many short trips, then they also die faster.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,622 Posts
A bigger battery doesn't mean it's better. How about you answer the driving conditions questions first? The V6 battery gives you higher CCA, but if you are still making a ton of short drives, keeping or blasting audio on while pumping gas with engine off, using air compressor with the car off, sitting idle in the car with a/c on for prolonged periods of time, and other similar conditions, the battery will still die faster.

Let's not forget a dying alternator that's not charging the battery, or any aftermarket accessories that's causing parasitic drain while the car is off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In ~11 years, I'm on a 4th battery -- 3 were OEM, and lasted anywhere from 3 to 4 years in NY climate. When the last Honda battery finally failed this summer, I changed it to the "Exide Extreme" battery purchased at Home Depot -- much more cranking amps than the OEM, with 40-month warranty & 24-hour emergency jump starts. The Exide battery costs $100. So far so good -- I hope that it will last a little bit longer than the OEM. If not, the next time I'll purchase the Interstate battery at Costco because it is even more reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Autozone's Duralast Gold is completely dead. Won't charge. I won't be going with that one.
Which battery has worked well for you guys?
If money's no object, buy the one with the longest warranty.

·
2020 best year
4,201 Posts
I have personally started using an AGM battery. More expensive, but it's spill-proof, a bit lighter and you don't have to(and shouldn't) water it.

Where I live, I don't experience extreme temperatures, but my trips are usually on the shorter side, and I have started the habit of listening to the audio while waiting for people with the engine off. This is hard on the battery, but I do have a maintenance battery charger at home I plug in once in a while to make sure the battery is properly charged.

If you go with a traditional lead-acid type, you should check the water level once every year.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think Honda OEM batteries are warranted for 100 months (almost 9 years). When my battery is weak, they replace it for free.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,160 Posts
I think Honda OEM batteries are warranted for 100 months (almost 9 years). When my battery is weak, they replace it for free.
You're on acid friend. The battery comes under the 3 years, 36K miles warranty. My OEM battery made it to 37 months and I had to buy a new one. You must have some type of dealer agreement, no battery on earth has a nine year warranty.

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
You're on acid friend. The battery comes under the 3 years, 36K miles warranty. My OEM battery made it to 37 months and I had to buy a new one. You must have some type of dealer agreement, no battery on earth has a nine year warranty.
it's pro-rated to 100 months after the first 3 years.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Honda battery warranty clarification

^To finish the sentence.....page 33
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL47382.pdf

Your original battery in your new car is 100% covered for 3 years/36,000 miles.

The under-powered replacement battery the Honda dealer first SELLS to you has a 100 month pro-rated warranty. It is covered at 100% for 3 years, then it is pro-rated (see link). What that could mean in practical terms is that you can come back in 4 years with a dead battery and you get 50% off your next Honda battery- they don't give you cash back so you can buy another battery from a competitor.

The warranty is not "continuous"- if the Honda dealer gives you a replacement at 50% off of cost at 4 years, the "clock" does not start all over again. If it fails a week later and you want a new battery, you can buy another at 50% off.

When NOT on sale, my local Honda dealer charges $159 + tax for a 51r battery. Being that if my battery fails on a Sunday I am screwed, I decline Honda dealer batteries.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
V6 battery upgrade ftw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replaced my OE battery on my 2007 in 2011 with a Duralast Gold. Still in my car seven years later. I’ve heard they’re not as good as they used to be, I don’t know if that’s true or not. I am going to replace it before winter. I can’t speak on those Opitma batteries but I’ll probably get a Interstate at Costco or another Duralast Gold just to see how they are. Only problem now, I don’t think I’ll have my car more than two more years.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,162 Posts
Replaced my OE battery on my 2007 in 2011 with a Duralast Gold. Still in my car seven years later. I’ve heard they’re not as good as they used to be, I don’t know if that’s true or not. I am going to replace it before winter. I can’t speak on those Opitma batteries but I’ll probably get a Interatate at Costco or another Duralast Gold just to see how they are. Only problem now, I don’t think I’ll have my car more than two more years. Only problem now, I don’t think I’ll have my car more than two more years.
I got one of the new Duralast Gold batteries 3 months ago to replace the previous Duralast Gold battery I had for close to 8 years (got $7.50 pro-rated to me), so I cannot comment yet on how good or bad they are.

What I can tell you is that the warranty coverage has decreased. It's now 5 years/60 months vs the old 8 years/96 months. Using that as an indicator, I'm only expecting around 5 years out of this one.

The CCA on the new battery is also lower than the one it replaced.

201 - 220 of 249 Posts