Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a good please to buy a replacement key for my 08 accord. The screen on the back of my key is stripped and the only way I can get it out is to break the back side of the plastic. I wonder how much a new key is and how much to get it cut. I was also thinking of just getting a viper system installed so that I dont have to use the key fob part of the key any more depending on how much a new key is.

edit

well i found this key on ebay. Not sure how well its work but not a bad price. I do need to see how much it cost to get the key cut and set up for my car though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

What do you all think?

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you can pop for it I would get a nice TSX switchblade key made. It would probably run you in the range of $200, I bet a replacement Honda key from the dealer would run you 80-100ish.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the new tsx keys work on the sedan? Could you post a link?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our keys don't have a separate transmitter which means you can pop the back cover off and take some pliers to the screw.
You can get the back cover and screw from your local dealer for less than $15.00.
You could also buy a new key casing.

You don't have to purchase a new key and get it programmed.
Back cover - 35114-TA0-A01
Key casing - 35118-TA0-A04

·
Banned
546 Posts
When my plastic casing fell apart (actually got crushed, glued together, and crushed again) I simply told them I wanted a new shell like mentioned above. I took the electronics board out of the old key and used an exacto type knife to carefully cut out the transponder than is glued into the casing. Then just popped it all into the new casing and I was good to go. Sure as heck beats paying $125 like the dealer wanted to charge me for a new programmed key.

Dealers won't advertise that you can get around a whole new key because they're "stealerships"

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our keys don't have a separate transmitter which means you can pop the back cover off and take some pliers to the screw.
You can get the back cover and screw from your local dealer for less than $15.00.
You could also buy a new key casing.

You don't have to purchase a new key and get it programmed.
Back cover - 35114-TA0-A01
Key casing - 35118-TA0-A04
thanks for the info. I take my car in tomorrow for 180k service and will have to ask them about this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just to add here -

I stripped the heck out of the screw on my key fob trying to get it out but found that I was able to pry the key casing open enough to get the transmitter out nonetheless. I was just careful.
Opened it up like a clam, slid the transmitter out, was able to clean or replace the battery and could then slide it back in - all while leaving the screw in and not damaging anything. Just putting it out there so folks know that it can be done.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can you have a lock smith cut and program the keys for less than the dealership?

I need to buy a new key, it would cost $230 parts and labor on a master-key, plus the dealer claimed that my only valet key wouldn't start the car anymore unless it was reprogrammed as well.
In total for master and valet key would be $290 =[

I want to save money by buying a key and taking it to a lock smith for the labor. Is this possible?

·
Registered
180 Posts
anybody have Info on keys, fairly simple question. Seems like people only want to talk about boosting and tranny swaps on this forum...

·
Registered
34 Posts
my key broke this morning
the casing was wobbly and when trying to make it tighter with a screw driver

luckily i have a spare, i guess I have to buy a new one at the dealer?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my key fixed at the dealer. You still have the cut key and the brains so it will not cost much to fix. The brains in my other key were going bad so i had to get that replaced. It only cost 25 bucks for the part but then it was 50 to program the key to work for my car. Over all still not a bad price.

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
Guys unless you are die hard only live by honda products. Id go on ebay, get a switchblade key case that comes with the shell and blank key. Open or break you current case if its stripped remove the module and swap it over to the new switchblade. Get the new key cut and you are good to go no need to program anything!

·
Registered
145 Posts
my key broke this morning
the casing was wobbly and when trying to make it tighter with a screprogrammed there

luckily i have a spare, i guess I have to buy a new one at the dealer?
Buy the key at cheaphondaparts.com instead of ebay its basically thw same price and take it to honda get it cut and programmed there that's what I did

·
Registered
180 Posts
Guys unless you are die hard only live by honda products. Id go on ebay, get a switchblade key case that comes with the shell and blank key. Open or break you current case if its stripped remove the module and swap it over to the new switchblade. Get the new key cut and you are good to go no need to program anything!
The module in my original key is also damaged and can't be switched over. I'm guessing I'll have to go the dealer route since I cant find one for sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts