Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shiny.
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stupidly only have one key, which is the master. The key snapped off, and I lost it but I still have the remote.

I called the dealer for a quote and they first said $90. I went in the next day and showed them the remote, and the guy told me it would be $200 to get a new key cut and re-programmed (which seems a bit high).

I found a replacement key shell on Amazon for $5, but was curious if I could just transfer the innards from my current key to the new one and just have an auto locksmith (or dealer) cut the key using just the VIN and registration.

The only reason why I ask is because the guy at the dealership said the immobilizer needs to be readjusted to the car.

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
Do you have the other piece? Looks like you are missing the part where the immobilizer chip is embedded.

You can get a shell and swap the guts into it and get it cut, but I'll tell you from personal experience, they are cheap and do not last long.

I would suggest shopping dealers and locksmiths for a replacement key, I get a discount at my local dealer, and walked with a new key for $126 after tax, retail there was around $140

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
There are several companies that sell the remotes, reprogramming the remote to open the door locks is simple, and you can do it yourself. The transponder for the Key needs to be transferred over as well as the key to a new housing. You can not reprogram the transponder for the key to the car yourself. 2 different things that these keys do. It least in the older models with a separate key and remote, it was obvious.

·
Shiny.
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the other piece? Looks like you are missing the part where the immobilizer chip is embedded.

You can get a shell and swap the guts into it and get it cut, but I'll tell you from personal experience, they are cheap and do not last long.

I would suggest shopping dealers and locksmiths for a replacement key, I get a discount at my local dealer, and walked with a new key for $126 after tax, retail there was around $140
That was the part that was lost, unfortunately. The auto locksmith that I had called quoted me $75 to cut but at this point, I may just need to bite the bullet and pay the dealer. I'm assuming I'll need to get the car towed so they can program it there?

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a bummer. I was able to get Acura Switchblade key cut and reprogrammed for $169....they said the other keys need to be present and reprogrammed...not! Wife's old Honda still works fine. The transponders are 133 mHz in both Acura and Honda keys....Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
3,412 Posts
The immobilizer chip is still in there. It's next to the lock button glued in.

Some have gotten lucky and the dealer cut the key for cheap. The best I was able to do was $35 at a locksmith. They claim the laser cutter gets destroyed after only a few cuts so they charge a lot.

·
Shiny.
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the story was that I dropped the key in the yard and didn't realize it until the following morning when I went to go grab something from the car.

Today while gardening, I found it underneath a dead mouse. With my next check, I'll definitely be getting two keys cut, but in the meantime I'll use some duct tape to hold it together.

Thanks all!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine broke apart also. I ordered new blank on ebay. Dealer would not cut it but local locksmith did for $35 and I used the inner part from th old key The immobilizer came out with a little prying around outside of it with my pocket knife.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I recently had the same thing done with my key. I bought the $3 blank off eBay. It took more than a month to ship to Canada though.

I went to the dealer, they charged $25 to cut it, but warned me that since its an eBay key "due to the different metals in its composition they could not guarantee the fit". Its $100 for a new blank at the dealer.

Well BS. They cut it off the broken master key blade and it works fine! I had to dig out the transponder chip, and transfer over the remote guts. Now I finally have keyless entry...I've been using the valet key for 3 months now.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
So, the story was that I dropped the key in the yard and didn't realize it until the following morning when I went to go grab something from the car.

Today while gardening, I found it underneath a dead mouse. With my next check, I'll definitely be getting two keys cut, but in the meantime I'll use some duct tape to hold it together.

Thanks all!!!!
Mine broke in the exact same way. I used JB Weld to glue it back on, thinking I'd just do it temporarily till I could get a new key. Well, the JB weld is so strong, I'm still using it a year later and it's probably stronger than before the key broke. Got one of those rubber covers on it, so it looks halfway decent, while being very ugly underneath. LOL

·
Wannabe backyard mechanic
93 Posts
Late to the party but mine also broke in this way, though was still usable with some electrical tape. I did a painstaking amount of research on the subject due to my frugality. $75 for a new master and $25 to program it at Honda Lisle a bit under a year ago. If you need to fix your key, by all means go for the ebay cases or the ingenious route Drew demonstrates... but for a spare or new key, OEM is the best option because of the immobilizer.

Next time mine breaks, (which I'm pretty sure it will,) I'm going for the TL switchblade conversion if someone around me will cut it.

Thread shows its age but is still useful.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/17-modify/9353-tl-key-conversion-56k-beware.html

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
Mine broke in the exact same way. I used JB Weld to glue it back on, thinking I'd just do it temporarily till I could get a new key. Well, the JB weld is so strong, I'm still using it a year later and it's probably stronger than before the key broke. Got one of those rubber covers on it, so it looks halfway decent, while being very ugly underneath. LOL

I did the same exact thing, 3x.

I finally got a new key after over 3 years. My car only came with one key, wrapped in scotch tape.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bought a replacement on eBay, and local Best hardware store cut it for $35. They had my wife sign a form saying they were not responsible foPit working. Transferred the guts, and it did not work! Would not insert all the way.

Checked it against the old one with a calipers and found it needed some sanding with 3000 grit sandpaper. Don't be afraid to be aggressive. Works fine now.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,642 Posts
Are you people as hard on your cars, as you are on your keys? Haha. I'm still using the original keys, with no adhesives.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts