Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these struts from an ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380745331272?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D380745331272%26_rdc%3D1#ht_1687wt_1254

which are Monroe 71372 Suspension Strut Assembly
Put all four on, and they almost immediately started making a really bad squishing noise - best I can describe. any little tiny bump or pushing down on the bumper, you can hear the fluid going through the shocks. Sounds like the inside hull of an old boat when you are driving around over any little bump. And it's getting increasingly annoying.

Even though they have been on there for several months, the seller said I could send them back for a refund. So now I have to try and get my mechanic buddy to help spend anohter day replacing them. Or.. more labor charges.

My question is, what is a good reccomendation for me to look at that I know won't have this issue? My local specialized Honda Mechanic said he recommends KYB's.

let me say I am just an average every day Honda driver. My 2004 Accord EX has 163k miles on it, so I am not looking for performance struts or anything. just something that works as good or better as the originals, and definitely not as noisy. And very important... obviously I went the cheapest route the first time, but I need to keep the costs as low as possible seeing as how I only spent $130 on this defective pair.

·
Super Moderator
6,655 Posts
So you get OEM. If you are going to start screaming about the OEM price, then stick with aftermarket non-performance shocks and live with the sub-standard quality. There is a reason why OEM costs more but they do last and no squishing (thank you, come again!) sound

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,204 Posts
Monroe's have a black body.

Those eBay dampers have a yellow body.

Those yellow "Monroe's" are also half the price of what real Monroe's cost.

You bought cheap Chinese made junk knock off dampers.

There are 2 things you don't want to cheap out on: tires and dampers. Why? They're what keeps your car on the road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I was looking for suggestions for aftermarket.

Certainly there is some better ones than the Monroe's. Like what's the next step up?

That Honda mechanic is brainwashed to always use OEM Honda on everything too, which is good. But he self admittedly suggests the KYB's over the OEM when it comes to the struts. That's about the only thing he does suggest not going with Honda on.

Just wondering if there were opinions on something a little cheaper that's still quality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

There are 2 things you don't want to cheap out on: tires and dampers. Why? They're what keeps your car on the road.
ahhhh.... that explains a lot there. hmmm...... thank you

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a full, original suspension from a 2004 4cyl. accord. (90K km)
If you are interested contact me by PM.
thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Those eBay dampers have a yellow body.

Ok, so now they are saying they will only honor an exchange. Yes, mine are the yellow ones, and the only other ones they sell are the black ones pictured above.

I know it's not preference to go with cheaper struts, but will I be ok honoring the replacement only if they give me the black ones? If not, I'm out the whole price because they won't take them back.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
threaten neg feedback. neg feedback is uber bad for sellers. remember sellers can only give positive feedback, or nothing. also if they dont use tracking you can file a complaint on them, and get your money back. gotta complane that they didnt show for like 10 days too. unless you already got them and told them you got them. game over. not sure if the black ones are actually better.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For what it's worth, the mechanics who have done work on my car all agree that OEM Honda shocks are the best option when replacement is needed. There was one guy who recommended KYB over OEM Honda, but that was because he was trying to pass off KYB as being "better" and wanted to charge more for them even though the retail price is less than the OEM shocks. Obviously I never ended up going to his shop to have any work done :D

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,204 Posts
Ok, so now they are saying they will only honor an exchange. Yes, mine are the yellow ones, and the only other ones they sell are the black ones pictured above.

I know it's not preference to go with cheaper struts, but will I be ok honoring the replacement only if they give me the black ones? If not, I'm out the whole price because they won't take them back.
An even exchange with no additional money coming from you means they're most likely the same junk... probably just a different supplier/manufacturer if they have a black body. No harm in trying them out, but no way are they going to be Monroe's if that's what you're thinking or what they're telling you. If they work, great. If they don't, then take this as a learning experience... don't cheap out on important parts.

These are $127.95 + free shipping for a set of 4, or about $32 each. After the eBay seller deducts all their expenses (shipping, eBay and PayPal fees, etc.) and their profit, these probably cost them around $15 each to buy. Now subtract the supplier's/manufacturer's profit and expenses from that $15 and this probably cost them around $5 to make. You are not going to get a quality strut for $5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts