Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Accord owners,

I wanted to get some advise on which tires to purchase as replacement for my OEM Continental ProContacts.

I have a Honda Accord 2016 Sport which shipped with the Continental ProContact+. Over last 3 years, driving in NJ, I've had 3 blowouts due to potholes and 3 tires have had to be replaced.

Currently 3 of my tires are down to 4/32 and one that was replaced recently is fairly new (6 months/8K miles).

I am looking for a new set of 4 and am confused which ones to buy.

Options:
1. Keep buying the Continental ProContact - Find these very expensive at approx $60-280 a pop

2. Go for Michelin/Bridgestone replacements - I know price wise there wont be much difference but hoping they fair better than the OEM ones.

I have shortlisted below:
1 Michelin Primacy MXM4 - $950 for set of 4
2. Bridgestone Turanza QuietRack - $900 for set of 4

I am also open to any other suggestions/options based on your experience. Buying my first full set of replacements for need some adivse.

Any help is truly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ last year and couldn't be happier. In my previous 7th gen accord, I had the Turanzas and they were quite good so I do recommend those too. I have no experience with Continentals...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ last year and couldn't be happier. In my previous 7th gen accord, I had the Turanzas and they were quite good so I do recommend those too. I have no experience with Continentals...
Thanks Larry,

Are the Michelin All Seasons? If you dont mind me asking, how much did you end up paying for this set?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Larry,

Are the Michelin All Seasons? If you dont mind me asking, how much did you end up paying for this set?
Well, yes, I think technically all-seasons, as they have "a/s" in their name. However, I have a set on separate rims of winter tires...work way better IMO than any 4 season tires.

I'm in Canada and bought last May. I paid CAD$950 installed and w/tax. Thats about US$700-750.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,664 Posts
Do a search. I did that a few years ago, and chose Continental ProContacts and learned to rotate them every 7k miles. Discount tire does that free. On my second set, living in pothole city Dallas. No problems.

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
Do a search. I did that a few years ago, and chose Continental ProContacts and learned to rotate them every 7k miles. Discount tire does that free. On my second set, living in pothole city Dallas. No problems.
Building on what member slimm1469 suggested (the search part)....look at reviews on @Discount Tire (.com) (a sponsor here) and know that local Discount Tires will price match out the door pricing. Look at TireRack too....

Sidenote: Think about downsizing to 16 inchers (more sidewall to protect against potholes). Your Sport wheels could be sold on Craigslist and you can pick up Honda/Acura 16 inchers cheap.

I am a huge fan of Contis (in my signature)- but my critera may be different than what you find important in a tire. That is why you should search and educate yourself instead of just reading what some random clown like me likes.

-RickBlaine
(Random Clown)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I enjoyed my MXM's that came with my 2014, however they started to get very loud and grip fell right off as they hit the 3-4 year old mark. I ended up removing them with a good amount of tread because they were cracking/got hard and had nearly no grip under acceleration.

I replaced them with a more value option, for regular driving and some spirited occasional spirited driving They're quite good, quieter than the MXM's and make the ride slightly more comfortable. They're General RT43's.

Not going to be a great option wannabe Racecar drivers but for daily driving, highway, they've been fantastic and I'm quite confident in recommending them for this use.

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,597 Posts
Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S. Go to size 245/40R19 and you will have a better ride and slightly more sidewall to absorb potholes and the like. You also obviously need to learn how to swerve around obstacles. Slow down and drive around potholes. I did this on my entire trip through Boston and New England.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I went the same route as LarryP. About a month ago had the pilot sport a/s 3+ installed on stock wheels - 235/50/17 (exl model, not sport). I too have a dedicated winter set so 3 season tire is fine. Overall fairly satisfied. I knew it'd be a compromise in terms of performance given the 17" size. Revs per mile is within a few relative the stock size. The tire has excellent road feel. We have a section of interstate near by that's developed this minute wavy form across the lanes (cheap asphalt) . When driving there, I can feel this. Initially thought it was a balance problem - but once past that section, it's smooth again. Tire's cornering ability exceeds the car's suspension IMO. Need better shocks and stabilizer bars for more aggressive cornering. Unsuccessful breaking the tires loose in wet/rain. Of course, this was done within reason and with no traffic around.

OTD pricing after rebates/price match at discount tire was around $725.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased the Michelin Premier A/S for my 2013 accord coupe EXL V6 and they have been great perforamance in the rain and fairly quiet ride. If you are in North America they have a 100$ online rebate. would highly recommend those or Pilot Sport AS3+ if long wear isn't to important

Hello fellow Accord owners,

I wanted to get some advise on which tires to purchase as replacement for my OEM Continental ProContacts.

I have a Honda Accord 2016 Sport which shipped with the Continental ProContact+. Over last 3 years, driving in NJ, I've had 3 blowouts due to potholes and 3 tires have had to be replaced.

Currently 3 of my tires are down to 4/32 and one that was replaced recently is fairly new (6 months/8K miles).

I am looking for a new set of 4 and am confused which ones to buy.

Options:
1. Keep buying the Continental ProContact - Find these very expensive at approx $60-280 a pop

2. Go for Michelin/Bridgestone replacements - I know price wise there wont be much difference but hoping they fair better than the OEM ones.

I have shortlisted below:
1 Michelin Primacy MXM4 - $950 for set of 4
2. Bridgestone Turanza QuietRack - $900 for set of 4

I am also open to any other suggestions/options based on your experience. Buying my first full set of replacements for need some adivse.

Any help is truly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently bought a 16 Sport. Living in Mass and dealing with winter- I know that a 19 inch tire and wheel combo will not work with our potholes.

I had an 09 Coupe. My drive is 50 miles to work each day and 50 back, I live up a windy 3 mile hill on a bad road. I made it through 2 winters on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's in 17 inch stock size, but it was dicey. I also had a 4WD truck for ugly days. I then tried Michelin Premier AS's, giving up some sportiness, but better traction in rain and snow. Last winter was my 3rd Winter on the Premier's, and I was actually passing stuck vehicles on my hill with them, and by this time they had almost 50K on them.

Truthfully- my biggest fear with the Conti/Sport wheels is not necessarily traction, but only having 2 inches of sidewall and hitting a pothole! I assume New Jersey is just a bad pothole wise, so you would be better served(in the short term) buying a set of 17 inch rims(16's will most likely not clear the bigger rotors on the Sport), and getting 17 inch tires.

I was thinking of getting either Konig Runlites($125 each), or Konig Oversteer's($140 each),and in 17 inch they are 19 lbs per wheel. For tires I am really on the fence- Michelin Premiers at 170 per, Cooper TrueNorth snows at 119 per or something in the middle.

Come next April or May you could then go with a 245/40-19 and have a greater selection of either summer or AS tires.

Chris

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,597 Posts
I recently bought a 16 Sport. Living in Mass and dealing with winter- I know that a 19 inch tire and wheel combo will not work with our potholes.
I was in Massachusetts for vacation on 19s and did just fine. The roads are a bit rough, but you just drive around the potholes. A lot of swerving around and slow speeds.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,174 Posts
Potholes and 19" wheels on a Honda are no match for pretty much every tire made.

I agree w/ Rick, in that I'm not a fan of any tire where I have to worry about popping it because of less sidewall area. But you have no choice unless you're changing to maybe an EX wheel...
I'm in New England and I put on a set of Michelin Premier A/S recently and have been very happy with them, probably the best tire I've ever run on this Honda.
Bought the car with 92K with brand new Coopers...(house brand "MasterCraft") switched to Generals(made by Conti) and now, running the Michelins.
I only caught one storm back in the spring, and they were fine, but again, that was limited "winter" driving.

I would look at the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as well, but they don't do too well (only "fair" on Tire Rack) for light snow traction(if you believe any of the test results)and I just can't afford to gamble with that where I live.
My own experience with Continentals is that they're a good tire, but they seem to run softer in the sidewall area, and you have to keep them near max PSI to avoid issues. Other than that I like Contis'.
I was in Massachusetts for vacation on 19s and did just fine. The roads are a bit rough, but you just drive around the potholes. A lot of swerving around and slow speeds.
Yep! Mass and RI area is pothole city!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Being on vacation there, and living there through winter is NOT the same. A pothole gets patched, and down the roads a 2 foot wide crater opens up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got a set of those this spring and they are working well. I currently have 7,000 miles on them. They're well in summer-tire territory for dry grip. I do notice they like to follow tar strips in the road; otherwise, I have no qualms so far.

I have them in 235/45-18; I considered getting a set of Accord Sport rims but 19" rims on Wisconsin and Illinois roads are asking for trouble. The 18s leave me enough sidewall to cushion potholes without ruining handling.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,401 Posts
In my experience the Turanzas are the more durable tire, if potholes are the main issue. They do have more rolling resistance, and probably weigh more, so I got 2 less mpg with them than with the Michelin Primacys. The thing I didn't like about the Turanza tires is they started to get loud as they wore. They have since added "Quiet" to the name, maybe that means they solved the noise issue. What I really liked about the Turanzas was their wet grip, which was better than the Michelins.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have Michelin pilot sport AS 3 +, 245/40 19 on stock sport wheels in eastern PA without any issues in the winter although I don’t drive much in the snow. Went up a size for a little more sidewall and have hit many potholes without issue. The sidewalls on these are pretty stiff. I have these tires on other cars as well and love them. The other alternative that I looked at was continental extreme contact dws 06.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts