Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my original 18" wheels and Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires with some 17" Accord wheels and Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus tires today. The Eagles are the original equipment tires, and I was up to around 48,660 miles on them. They were doing fine, I still had significant treadwear left, but I wanted to try out the Pirellis before the struts/suspension got too much wear on them. I went down to the 17s in hopes that I would get a somewhat softer ride.

Ride quality is about the same, and despite the Cinturatos getting high marks on Tire Rack's website for being quiet, I would say they are no more quiet than the Goodyears. When I ordered the Cinturatos from Tire Rack, I debated whether to get the V-rated or H-rated version of the tire. I went with the V-rated, since the Goodyears are also V-rated, and I did not want a totally mushy cornering experience with the new tires.

In hindsight, I would say that I probably should have gone with the H-rated tires, which would have meant a somewhat less stiff sidewall. It's not enough to go from an 18 to a 17 with taller sidewall if you want a softer ride, apparently. You also better pay attention to the rubber compounding/speed rating. To anybody out there who is thinking about going from V-rated to H-rated rubber, I would say, don't even hesitate, just go all the way, if you are seeking a softer ride. Extreme times call for extreme measures.

Also, I would just add that now I really don't understand the people who hate the LS-2 Goodyears. They are easily as quiet as the Pirellis, which get an average rating of 9.1 for quietness on Tire Rack, and they have absolutely spectacular treadlife. I replaced them at at around 48,660, and I would guess that I could have gotten another 10,000 to 12,000 miles of treadlife out of them before they would have been down to the wear bars. Plus, they corner great. They are still available on Tire Rack if anyone wants to try them out.

I live in Long Beach, CA, so performance in snow is just not an issue for me. The Eagles LS-2 have been doing fine in the rain, though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you are in California, why didn't you go with Performance Summer? I would get those, but we have snow here and that's my only concern.

I used to have T-rated Cooper tires on my old Accord, they were much softer than original Michelins and also much more quiet. I think speed rating is much more important than actual size, but then softer tire takes away some handling pleasure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
So, I've been driving around on the 17s for a few days now (I subbed some 17" wheels on in place of the original 18s, take-offs from someone else's EX). Ride quality is about the same. Taking my favorite freeway offramps, what I notice is that I feel a little less involved in the corner. The car feels like it's not leaning and biting into the corner the same way as when I'm running the 18s. I would assume this is because of the higher sidewall. I still love the car, but the 17s do take the sporty edge off the car a wee bit. For my next set of all seasons after these wear out, I think I'll go back up to the 18s, but use H-rated rubber, rather than V-rated. The Pirelli Cinturatos All-Season plus are available in the 18s in both H-rated and V-rated, unlike the Eagle LS-2s, which are only available as V-rated.

I still don't hear the Cinturatos as being any quieter than the Eagles, but maybe the transmission noise from my 6-speed manual is enough to drown out the difference? I think the CVT transmission is somewhat quieter.

If you are in California, why didn't you go with Performance Summer? I would get those, but we have snow here and that's my only concern.

I used to have T-rated Cooper tires on my old Accord, they were much softer than original Michelins and also much more quiet. I think speed rating is much more important than actual size, but then softer tire takes away some handling pleasure.
I like the idea of running dedicated summer tires in theory, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to want to do that, more than likely. I might, though. I have other things I need to spend on/invest in this year, so prolly won't do the summer tires thing. They do wear faster than all-seasons, also, alas, is my understanding.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I like the idea of running dedicated summer tires in theory, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to want to do that, more than likely. I might, though. I have other things I need to spend on/invest in this year, so prolly won't do the summer tires thing. They do wear faster than all-seasons, also, alas, is my understanding.
I think he meant that you could use performance summer tires year round since it doesn't snow in your part of California.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't because they wear out too fast.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tirerack's testing report is showing that these Pirelli P7's are very quiet and comfortable, but is not as good as other all season tires in wet traction. Maybe that's already good enough?

·
Registered
2013 Accord Sport CBP
37 Posts
So I replaced my original 18" wheels and Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires with some 17" Accord wheels and Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus tires today. The Eagles are the original equipment tires, and I was up to around 48,660 miles on them. They were doing fine, I still had significant treadwear left, but I wanted to try out the Pirellis before the struts/suspension got too much wear on them. I went down to the 17s in hopes that I would get a somewhat softer ride.

Ride quality is about the same, and despite the Cinturatos getting high marks on Tire Rack's website for being quiet, I would say they are no more quiet than the Goodyears. When I ordered the Cinturatos from Tire Rack, I debated whether to get the V-rated or H-rated version of the tire. I went with the V-rated, since the Goodyears are also V-rated, and I did not want a totally mushy cornering experience with the new tires.

In hindsight, I would say that I probably should have gone with the H-rated tires, which would have meant a somewhat less stiff sidewall. It's not enough to go from an 18 to a 17 with taller sidewall if you want a softer ride, apparently. You also better pay attention to the rubber compounding/speed rating. To anybody out there who is thinking about going from V-rated to H-rated rubber, I would say, don't even hesitate, just go all the way, if you are seeking a softer ride. Extreme times call for extreme measures.

Also, I would just add that now I really don't understand the people who hate the LS-2 Goodyears. They are easily as quiet as the Pirellis, which get an average rating of 9.1 for quietness on Tire Rack, and they have absolutely spectacular treadlife. I replaced them at at around 48,660, and I would guess that I could have gotten another 10,000 to 12,000 miles of treadlife out of them before they would have been down to the wear bars. Plus, they corner great. They are still available on Tire Rack if anyone wants to try them out.

I live in Long Beach, CA, so performance in snow is just not an issue for me. The Eagles LS-2 have been doing fine in the rain, though.
For where you live (West Coast) the LS-2 may be fine but for the rest of us that live in areas where snow is a factor, the LS-2 does not handle well in the snow - probably most if not every 18" all season tires. That said, I bought 16" rims that came from a prior Gen Accord and they fit on my 13' CVT Sport. I outfitted them with General Arctic Altimax tires for winter use. Not disappointed in the fact that we have not gotten much snow this year but disappointed that I have not gotten much use of the winter tires. I recently got rid of the LS-2 and got the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires. I was able to put them on last weekend and have noticed differences between the LS-2 and P7's. P7's are much smoother and a little more quieter than the LS-2's. As for rolling resistance - they are probably both the same as I haven't noticed a change in MPG. Handling I would give the edge to the P7's as they feel a little more connected to the road (grippier). I got about 42-43K miles on the LS-2's before hitting the wear bar.

As a side note, the 16" winter tires made the CVT Sport steering feel mushy - less connected to the road. It felt like driving my parent's old Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera back in the day(steering on that was as numb as could be). The 16's made the ride feel more cushioned but it just gave it that numb steering feeling. Did not like that at all. it did the job in snow (when we had it) as expected.

·
2014 Coupe V6 EX-Lnav
255 Posts
the issue with the goodyear eagle LS-2 is their traction in rain, lots of hydro planing. Plus off the line traction. My goodyears let go mutliple times off the line. My V6 would struggle to connect if it was anything semi spirited off the green light. A little puddle would set them off and bounce them easily.

As per quietness or treadlife I think they are great. Oddly they are pretty good in snow. I live in canada, ontario and I used them through both of my previous winters and they got me through major commutes easily if I was careful and reasonable in my expectations.

In the end, for the price $80 approx. per tyre, they are pretty good. Just unsafe in the rain.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,233 Posts
Never skimp on tires. If you live in a region that never sees snow then summer tires it should be. You'll typically find better rain performance in summer tires than all seasons. As well as better braking and cornering which is supremely important.

Best all season imo is the ExtremeContact DWS 06. There is a BF Goodrich tire that has slightly better marks but less tread wear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For where you live (West Coast) the LS-2 may be fine but for the rest of us that live in areas where snow is a factor, the LS-2 does not handle well in the snow - probably most if not every 18" all season tires. That said, I bought 16" rims that came from a prior Gen Accord and they fit on my 13' CVT Sport. I outfitted them with General Arctic Altimax tires for winter use. Not disappointed in the fact that we have not gotten much snow this year but disappointed that I have not gotten much use of the winter tires. I recently got rid of the LS-2 and got the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires. I was able to put them on last weekend and have noticed differences between the LS-2 and P7's. P7's are much smoother and a little more quieter than the LS-2's. As for rolling resistance - they are probably both the same as I haven't noticed a change in MPG. Handling I would give the edge to the P7's as they feel a little more connected to the road (grippier). I got about 42-43K miles on the LS-2's before hitting the wear bar.

As a side note, the 16" winter tires made the CVT Sport steering feel mushy - less connected to the road. It felt like driving my parent's old Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera back in the day(steering on that was as numb as could be). The 16's made the ride feel more cushioned but it just gave it that numb steering feeling. Did not like that at all. it did the job in snow (when we had it) as expected.
So your ride feels mushy now because of the *winter tires*, and not that much because of 16" size. I used to have winter tires on my RDX - Hankook iPike 18", it felt slow and super cushy-mushy. Winter tire is just soft, I guess that's how it grips through snow and ice. Studded tires is just another scam (people in Canada and Alaska probably use them), studs destroy pavement, add terrible sound when driven fast, but they don't really add much snow/ice traction. Thus regular studless winter tire is really enough for anyone, unless roads aren't paved and never plowed in your area.

·
Registered
2013 Accord Sport CBP
37 Posts
So your ride feels mushy now because of the *winter tires*, and not that much because of 16" size. I used to have winter tires on my RDX - Hankook iPike 18", it felt slow and super cushy-mushy. Winter tire is just soft, I guess that's how it grips through snow and ice. Studded tires is just another scam (people in Canada and Alaska probably use them), studs destroy pavement, add terrible sound when driven fast, but they don't really add much snow/ice traction. Thus regular studless winter tire is really enough for anyone, unless roads aren't paved and never plowed in your area.
I think it's more the 16" tires than it is being winter tires that make the steering and feel more mushy. Just don't feel as connected to the road compared to the 18's.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts

I notice the numb light steering with Dunlop Winter 16" but not with the General Altimax Arctic 16". The Dunlops are the proper alternate size on alloys and the Generals are oversized MDX tires on steel wheels which I think explains the difference in steering feel, not the tire. I don't really care as long as I can get up the 10% grade to get home. I've driven old Cieras, Buicks, and Caddys, so no feel steering is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
So, we had a couple of inches of slushy snow this morning. This is the first time I had my '16 Sport out in this kind of snow. The Contiprocontact 19" were terrible...not much traction... My '13, with the 17" Michelin Primacy MXM were much better in this kind of snow. The Conti's are definitely dry pavement tires in my opinion.....

·
Registered
700 Posts
So, we had a couple of inches of slushy snow this morning. This is the first time I had my '16 Sport out in this kind of snow. The Contiprocontact 19" were terrible...not much traction... My '13, with the 17" Michelin Primacy MXM were much better in this kind of snow. The Conti's are definitely dry pavement tires in my opinion.....
They don't get very good ratings for wet traction and awful ratings for snow. I don't have to deal with snow so I am thinking about upgrading to some Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires on my 16 Sport.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...2016&autoModel=Accord Sedan&autoModClar=Sport

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
One really shouldn't be whipping around corners with winter tires. Sure you can do it, but the tire will wear quickly because of the softer compound. My entire driving attitude changes once these wheels/tires go on. No more aggressive cornering, acceleration or braking. Just gentle driving all around. Depending on mileage driven, can typically squeeze 4-5 winters out of a set (or more).

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've had the Pirelli's on for about a month. Happy with them. No more noisy than the factory Michelin's. Fine in the snow and I think better wet traction than the stock Michelin's. I went with them given the top rating on TireRack for "grand touring". V-rated for me...not that I'm going to go over 130 mph...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm on my second set of the Michelin MXM4's on my Sport and both times they've needed to be replaced just at 40,000 miles. Michelin I thought these were rated to 55,000 Miles!!!! I'm hoping the Pirelli's will perform better in snow than the Michelins and last a little bit longer.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Finally (after nearly 10 months) got to drive our accord in the fresh snow today. Those goodyear ls-2 tires are pure garbage. If I actually had to commute in this car it'd be getting a set of winter tires without a doubt. I generally don't drive the accord as it's a relative's car, but just had the G washed. The accord is generally used around town, errands, doctor's appointments, etc. It barely has over 2100 miles on it.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I still don't hear the Cinturatos as being any quieter than the Eagles, but maybe the transmission noise from my 6-speed manual is enough to drown out the difference? I think the CVT transmission is somewhat quieter.
Try bumping up the pressure 4 or 5 pounds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts