Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I would like to know if there are any instruction manuals/videos on replacing the air intake tube (OEM# 17228-RAA-A00) on a '03 Honda Accord EX Coupe AT (2.4L L4 DOHC 16V)? I took it to one of those quick oil places and they pointed out a split in the house. Luckily, the split "closes" when all put back together in the car. I have noticed though, different fluctuations with the RPMs though.

Thanks in advance!
James

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks like a pretty simple job just disconnect negative battery cable, then the clamps one in each side of the intake tube and pull it out. Disconnect any sensors MAF sensors if they are located in the intake tube or any electrical components and switch them to the new one. Install the new one reverse of removal of the old one. Shouldn't be hard IMO

Sorry I can't help you that much I was just looking at a picture, I have the V6 its somewhat different.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
If you have your battery disconnected long enough to do this part swap, you'll need your radio code handy when you hook everything back up (write down your stations too because the radio ends up clearing) ; and let the engine run for ~ 10mins without touching the throttle when you start it back up ...

The swap itself will be very straight forward - if in doubt take "before" pictures to help you remember where the hoses go, or use coloured electrical tape, or masking tape you can write on ...

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
As stated, it is "plug-n-play", and when done, let it idle for ten minutes w/o touching it as bobbo said in order for the "idle re-learn" procedure to complete. No revving! I needed to enter the radio code too but interestingly- all my pre-sets remained.

Lastly, while it is off, clean your throttle body with a few squirts of CRC throttle body cleaner (about $8) as no doubt some dirt was getting pulled in. This will take you all of two minutes since the intake is off. Member "golftango" s excellent write up on how to do it: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37637&highlight=golftango+throttle+body

Here are pics for you to look at:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello all! I would like to know if there are any instruction manuals/videos on replacing the air intake tube (OEM# 17228-RAA-A00) on a '03 Honda Accord EX Coupe AT (2.4L L4 DOHC 16V)? I took it to one of those quick oil places and they pointed out a split in the house. Luckily, the split "closes" when all put back together in the car. I have noticed though, different fluctuations with the RPMs though.

Thanks in advance!
James
It is just a rubber air tube that connect the throttle body to the air filter housing. It seems a common problem for the I4 that the tube got ripped somewhere on the tube from other threads. I suspect that whoever did the last air filter job, pulled and stretched it a bit too much. There is no electrical connection so you don't need to disconnect the battery for this. Just use a screw driver or socket driver to remove the clamp on throttle body end, a small clamp for the air tube, the other end is just simply removing the spring. I would clean the throttle body with cleaner since you will open it up anyway. I had to change mine air tube on my Accord V6 (a lot shorter) because there was also a crack at the breather tube to the valve head. It did not leak yet but I replaced it anyway. My throttle body is clean but I sprayed it anyway with carburator/throttle body cleaner. I would use a silicone spray to spray the inside of the tube edges to make it slide in easier onto the throttle body. It took less than 15 mins once you have the part and the tools. It did not come with any instruction or warning so I just start it up and idle it for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it done last night! Works great! Took a little time to remove and replace. The part/tube I got didn't have the one metal valve sticking up from it so had to pull it from the old one. Cleaned out the throttle and works great! I did do the suggestion of unhooking the battery and letting it idle for 10min just to clear anything out. Thanks guys!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.