Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I have searched, found nothin pertaining to my vehicle. I have an 08 accord coupe EX. I do not understand how Honda can label their sound system as "premium". THere is nothing premium about it. But then again every vehicle I have owned as had an aftermarket system.

I want to install speakers all around myself, however I am do not want to damage the front door panels when removing them. Does anyone know how to remove the driver/passenger door panels to replace the speakers?

On another note, both my front panels vibrate when the music is playing at a moderate listening level. I can't believe they are on a new car; I have taken it to Honda TWICE and both times they say they fixed the problem, but what do you know, they didnt.

Anyone have trouble with this, if so, what's the conclusion?

Thank you,

·
Registered
954 Posts
Go to the instructions section. There's a thread there on removing door panels. As for the sound being Premium, I also thought they weren't very Premium for my spoiled ears. I do have to say though they sound better than any other stock radio I've heard in mid-level cars.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
You did not search very well. There is a sticky at the top of the page regarding the '08 Navi Audio System, which is the same premium system in your EX. That will explain the issues with the '08 wiring in the audio system.

The instructions section will help you on door panel removal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"You did not search very well. There is a sticky at the top of the page regarding the '08 Navi Audio System, which is the same premium system in your EX. That will explain the issues with the '08 wiring in the audio system. "

Well I do not have a navigation system, so no that would not be the same, but yes I did an extensive search, so if you would like to use haterade then that's cool. But I thought these forums were to help, not to criticize. So relax.

·
Registered
954 Posts
"You did not search very well. There is a sticky at the top of the page regarding the '08 Navi Audio System, which is the same premium system in your EX. That will explain the issues with the '08 wiring in the audio system. "

Well I do not have a navigation system, so no that would not be the same, but yes I did an extensive search, so if you would like to use haterade then that's cool. But I thought these forums were to help, not to criticize. So relax.
His reply to you was very polite and without hostility. He also directed you to where you can find information on removing the door panels. It doesn't seem to me he drank any Haterade on that post. For someone with only 8 posts in you really should show more respect.

As far as the stickied thread not applying to your car since you don't have navi, the wiring isn't too different and you can still find a lot of useful info to help your cause.

·
3,499 Posts

I provided you with the information you requested, and advised you that the Premium Audio with Navigation is the same as the Premium Audio without Navigation. Both use the same 270-watt 7 speaker audio system. If you did an advanced search for Premium Audio and narrow it to only the 8th Generation Accord, you would have found many posts regarding aftermarket systems with the Premium Audio System.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Replacing 09 Coupe Speakers

Hello all. I have been reading and lurking for a while. I would like to say there is a wealth of great information on this site. That being said I have searched and can not seem to find a definitive answer as to what will fit in the front and rear speaker locations without modification of any stock panels or cutting of sheet metal. I do not mind drilling screw mount holes.

I would agree that the stock speakers are not "bad" compared to most other cars in this class and the target audience. I would have expected better for the coupe though.

I ended up with an LX-S because I needed the headroom. So what speakers can I install that are as close to possible to plug and play. I have been on Crutchfield and spoken to them a few times but they really have no good answers. I am looking for someone who has done the install and knows how much space there is and what actually fits. I would like to install these - JL Audio TR600-CXi or Polk Audio MM651 all around. I will leave the stock tweeters for now.

A secondary question is does the non premium radio have an external amp or is is built in? Thanks in advance.

·
3,499 Posts
The '08 and newer Accords should be 6 1/2's in the doors and rear deck, but per Crutchfield, not many will fit. A pair of Sony 6 1/2's will fit, but the rest are 5 1/4. Your choice of JL Audio TR600 will not fit in the front doors or the rear deck. Most likely it is because of the tweeter hitting the factory grilles. The depth of those speakers shouldn't be an issue. None of the Polks fit. The MM series would require an amp to drive them well. The DB series would be better with your non-premium system. But even those don't fit. Crutchfield should tell you why they don't fit.

You should go to a good installer and ask them what they have done with the '08+ Accords. They would give you the best advice on what will fit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks. You are correct. The issue is there is not enough depth for the tweeter on the non OEM speakers as they will hit the OEM grills. PITA as what would it have taken for Honda to create an extra 1/2 inch of space in the grills.:dunno: Going to 5 1/4 on the fronts and rears is not really helping anything in the mid/low bass area. As for the amp I figured I would test it first with the new speakers then upgrade with an Alpine MRP-F300 if the speakers needed some additional power. I have had good luck with them in the past and they tend to be conservative on their power ratings. I just want nice smooth clear sound.

I am just wondering if anyone has pictures of the factory speakers and if they have a plastic spacer on them. If so then I was thinking this may give me enough clearance if I just used a thin rubber/cork gasket and screwed them on to the door and rear deck. I thought about an undermount for the rear deck but the trunk torsion springs are in the way.

I have not been able to find any local shops who have worked on the 08/9 Accords and I do not want to be the first one. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"His reply to you was very polite and without hostility. He also directed you to where you can find information on removing the door panels. It doesn't seem to me he drank any Haterade on that post. For someone with only 8 posts in you really should show more respect."

Show respect hahahahahahahahahahahhahaa your a funny one. hahahahahahahahahahaha. I dont have all day to "blog", I have a life.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am just wondering if anyone has pictures of the factory speakers and if they have a plastic spacer on them.
Here's my rear ones on the junk pile.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
"His reply to you was very polite and without hostility. He also directed you to where you can find information on removing the door panels. It doesn't seem to me he drank any Haterade on that post. For someone with only 8 posts in you really should show more respect."

Show respect hahahahahahahahahahahhahaa your a funny one. hahahahahahahahahahaha. I dont have all day to "blog", I have a life.
Good luck getting any answers you seek then and have a good life. Btw most of us "blog" while at work.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's my rear ones on the junk pile.

Thanks for the pics!:)

So what did you replace them with? I am really interested in the space you have above the rear deck and oem covers. Did you just pop off the covers or take out the whole back deck? I am looking at just putting two small subs on the back deck. Probably Elemental Design e3.6 subs. I really do not want to cut or drill anything if I do not have to.

The speaker plastic mounts look pretty thick.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the pics!:)

So what did you replace them with? I am really interested in the space you have above the rear deck and oem covers. Did you just pop off the covers or take out the whole back deck? I am looking at just putting two small subs on the back deck. Probably Elemental Design e3.6 subs. I really do not want to cut or drill anything if I do not have to.

The speaker plastic mounts look pretty thick.
I replaced them with nothing. I had the whole car gutted and just took them out at that time. Initially I was just planning to stick an ID8v3 in my deck to replace the factory 8 and calling it a day but that all changed. As far as popping off the covers they seemed like a total PITA to pop off and more likely to SNAP off than pop, LOL. I left the stock 8 in for the time being but will remove it as well after I get my install going.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm in the process of gutting my car to do a system and started with the front door speakers first. Like someone else said, the doors are 6.5" but not many 6.5's bolt right in. Last night I test fitted some Alpine SPR-17S 6.5" Component but had to make a raised mounting ring to get them to fit. Lots of people make them out of MDF but I got an idea from someone that made his out of a cutting board from the cooking aisle at Wal-mart :thmsup: This is great idea, the cutting board material is strong as heck and actually don't stink like plastic when cutting. It took a lot of trial an error but it worked perfect. Here's a few pics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced my front speakers today with a set of Memphis 15-PRS6. I had the audio shop install them for me, so I do not have any pictures. I will take some pictures when I get around to adding padding to the door.

I knew I would have improvement n the detail of the audio, but I was blown away how much better they are. I am still on the stock amp for now, but wow! The fronts are so good they put the rear to shame, to the point that the rears w/stock sub almost sound invisable. If I try to adjust the fader so that there is more rear (R5), I can get a balance volume wise but the rears muddy up the sound so much that it is not worth going with that setting.

Since the stock head has built in crossovers, they were not able to use the ones designed for the speakers. When I get around to installing an aftermartket amp, the other crossovers should make the speakers sound much better.

I plan to go with the 15-PR63 for the rear and removing the 8" sub altogther and let it be a vent/port to the trunk for single 10" sub.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hmm if you had it done at a shop they should have replaced factory crossover for you with the new ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced my front speakers today with a set of Memphis 15-PRS6. I had the audio shop install them for me, so I do not have any pictures. I will take some pictures when I get around to adding padding to the door.

I knew I would have improvement n the detail of the audio, but I was blown away how much better they are. I am still on the stock amp for now, but wow! The fronts are so good they put the rear to shame, to the point that the rears w/stock sub almost sound invisable. If I try to adjust the fader so that there is more rear (R5), I can get a balance volume wise but the rears muddy up the sound so much that it is not worth going with that setting.

Since the stock head has built in crossovers, they were not able to use the ones designed for the speakers. When I get around to installing an aftermartket amp, the other crossovers should make the speakers sound much better.

I plan to go with the 15-PR63 for the rear and removing the 8" sub altogther and let it be a vent/port to the trunk for single 10" sub.
To follow up on my post, I realized this morning that I had rewired the 8" sub backwards, so it was canceling out the signals in the rear. The rear sounds better now, the volume is back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts