Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone ever replace the fuel filter on 07 4 cyl accord? I have always been plagued with terrible gas mileage (like 16-17 mpg).

I think I read somewhere a while back that its not possible to change the fuel filter but didnt read further into it.

So has anyone done it? DIY? Part #'s?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Huh? The fuel pump assembly can be removed without dropping the tank.

Here's a video google brought up on how to replace the filter...definitely doesn't look like it really meant to be user serviceable:

With an 07, I doubt the fuel filter is clogged anyways. Have you tried running something like Redline SI-1 through a tank to clean the fuel injectors?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Actually the Helms service manual does not say to remove the gas tank to remove the fuel pump. You just remove the access panel like your link shows. However it still looks like a lot of work.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Seems to me a clogged fuel filter would cause performance issues, not poor mileage.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh? The fuel pump assembly can be removed without dropping the tank.

Here's a video google brought up on how to replace the filter...definitely doesn't look like it really meant to be user serviceable:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblHK3YFnrc

With an 07, I doubt the fuel filter is clogged anyways. Have you tried running something like Redline SI-1 through a tank to clean the fuel injectors?
I have not ran Redline but ive ran several other fuel system cleaners (i.e. techron and STP). Did not really help.

Seems to me a clogged fuel filter would cause performance issues, not poor mileage.
I dunno, a lot of people said to replace the fuel filter so I thought I would look into it.

Car right now has ~46k miles, always on mobil 1 synthetic oil and OEM honda oil filter. always on regular octane gas.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I dunno, a lot of people said to replace the fuel filter so I thought I would look into it.
Don't do it! A clean fuel filter will cause the fuel to flow even faster. :lmao:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh well, back to the drawing board.

·
4,057 Posts
Have you done all the basic tune up stuff like spark plugs, cleaning the maf sensor, changing air filter, etc etc?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Have you done all the basic tune up stuff like spark plugs, cleaning the maf sensor, changing air filter, etc etc?
+1 on THAT....

Also, you are in New York. Would that be New York City? I have cousins in Bay Ridge of Brooklyn and they jump for joy when they get 19 mpg in their 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not changed my spark plugs yet. But I was debating whether to do it. Never actually did it because doesnt spark plugs usually last at least 100k miles? I only have 46k on my car right now. I've cleaned the MAF sensor when I put in my short ram intake. Air filter was actually changed right before I got the intake. I had got a new air filter but then got a deal on a short ram the next day and have been using the short ram until like a month ago when I went back to stock and took out the intake. So the filter is still pretty new. But I may change it soon anyways since its cheap.
+1 on THAT....

Also, you are in New York. Would that be New York City? I have cousins in Bay Ridge of Brooklyn and they jump for joy when they get 19 mpg in their 4 cylinder.
Yea, NYC. Seems like many accord drivers in NYC are getting terrible gas mileage. But it just bothers me that people with v6's and probably even some v8's get better mileage than me. I just cant find any reasoning in that lol. Other than 4 cyl will take more power to get going and more power = more gas.

·
4,057 Posts
I would at least check your plugs to make sure they're not fouled or anything weird going on.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas. It would be really helpful if everyone had a $15 Bluetooth OBDII reader in their cars. Then you could set the cruise control at 45 mph on a flat ground and you know immediately what your gas mileage is. If it isn't 40-50 mpg then we could debug further, otherwise your poor mileage might be legit. 16-17 isn't outside the realm of possibility depending on your driving style and if you get caught at every light.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I would at least check your plugs to make sure they're not fouled or anything weird going on.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas. It would be really helpful if everyone had a $15 Bluetooth OBDII reader in their cars. Then you could set the cruise control at 45 mph on a flat ground and you know immediately what your gas mileage is. If it isn't 40-50 mpg then we could debug further, otherwise your poor mileage might be legit. 16-17 isn't outside the realm of possibility depending on your driving style and if you get caught at every light.
Good point....member Mike W recommended this to me:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

It tells you what is going on. But basically, you have to get out of NYC and set the cruise control to 55mph on the highway. If you then get 30+mpg, well then everything is working fine- and your lousy mpg is because you live in NYC.

I lived in Washington, DC for 8 years and visited NYC often. Even on my Harley and Suzuki Bandit, I never got better than 35 mpg in NYC. Too much traffic, too many people, too many red lights, too many excellent places to stop and meet people, too many things to see, etc....

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I actually bought a bluetooth OBDII thing on ebay and had the Torque app on my phone. I think I did it once and MPG's looked fine. Keep in mind this is instantaneous MPG. But that was a while ago, not sure if I have time this weekend to test it out again.

Good point....member Mike W recommended this to me:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

It tells you what is going on. But basically, you have to get out of NYC and set the cruise control to 55mph on the highway. If you then get 30+mpg, well then everything is working fine- and your lousy mpg is because you live in NYC.

I lived in Washington, DC for 8 years and visited NYC often. Even on my Harley and Suzuki Bandit, I never got better than 35 mpg in NYC. Too much traffic, too many people, too many red lights, too many excellent places to stop and meet people, too many things to see, etc....
It may be the traffic. I remember driving to Boston from NYC so it was pretty much like 95% highway miles. I dont remember my MPG exactly but I got around 400 miles. Light hadnt come on yet but I knew it was close. Usually fill around 13-14 gallons when I had that so 400/14 = ~28.5 mpg. So I think that pretty much matches the EPA standards for highway. I think its 28mpg highway right?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
remote start and letting it run before driving? IDK, I see so many people that just let the car run for way to long before taking out the driveway.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
remote start and letting it run before driving? IDK, I see so many people that just let the car run for way to long before taking out the driveway.
dont have remote start. but i tend to wait a minute or two before taking off. usually when RPMs hit 1k on park-idle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts