Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· 2010 Honda Accord EX
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you laugh, there are a few high-end cars that already have these. :wave:

For our 8th gens, I am curious to know if anyone has researched doing this? Obviously, the biggest problem is getting the data from the computers (speedometer, odometer, mileage on car, trip, etc.). That can at least partially be accomplished by buying one of the plug-in modules that have recently been discussed here (I cannot find the post, but it referenced a specific company and their site showed that information displayed on a tablet). The tablet app spoke to the plug-in model and displayed the results, so it could do the same to show a picture of the instrument cluster with the current info. Yes, a specific sized LCD, mount, and cover would be needed to fit in the current space, but that is doable.

I am not going to attempt it, but it would be interesting to see. It's likely manufacturers will start offering these on a lot more cars in the coming years. Makes a lot of sense due to the flexibility an LCD (OLED, LED, etc.) would provide (alternate layouts, information, colors, sizes, fonts, languages, MPH/KPH, etc., etc., etc.). Yes, light may be an issue if it is not designed well.

Scott C.

· Running NYC
1,315 Posts
I would be interested in this if it looked close to OEM quality. For now I use windshield HUD display through my phone works pretty good at showing my my mph and GPS on my windshield so I don't need to look down and take my eyes off the road. But id love a digital lcd dashboard.

· Car so nice, bought twice
4,733 Posts
I contemplated doing this by basically hardwiring a tablet into the gauge cluster area, but came to the conclusion that mechanical needles don't run out of battery or otherwise have random glitches.

· Snicker Dog
279 Posts
How do you use a cellphone to get an HUD display?

· Running NYC
1,315 Posts
It is an app called navier hud on the Android market. Works on the phone but much better if you use a table!
I also use dash command with blue tooth obdII pretty nifty info

· Registered
1,787 Posts
there are inexpensive dash mount HUD units that feed data from the obdII but they require a reflective sticker to be placed on the windshield and that's a definite turnoff. cell phone apps are no good imo because of gps lag, device battery drain, and they will never calculate mpg well.

scott, i would entertain the ultragauge. it has 80-some gauge options, although not all are supported by our simple honda computers... scangauge does much the same but is less pretty.

only a couple inches of wire are visible if you tuck it inside your weather seal:

cable terminates at the obdII port.

· 2010 Honda Accord EX
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DOOM, thanks for the info. Those types of devices are what inspired my post. With a dedicated LCD unit (not a tablet per se) that runs off the car's 12v with specific software to read the OBDII port, I think an LCD instrument cluster would be made. However, as you said the Honda computer may not support everything needed.

I already have a tablet and have considered getting one of the bluetooth enabled OBDII plug-ins and mating that with one of the numerous tablet apps just to see what can be done. After the play period I would likely just use the OBDII plug-in for diagnostics uses.

Lastly, I like the idea of a HUD, but haven't really seen one with the reflective plastic on the window to see how distracting (or dangerous) it would be. Garmin makes a simple one that I don't believe requires the reflector (I'll have to check that again). As for the ultraguage, I like the idea and info, but haven't really decided the best place for it in the car.

Scott C.

· Registered
1,787 Posts
Proclip

· Registered
273 Posts
all the OEM speedos i've seen are laggy during acceleration... I'm sure they are fine at cruising speed though

older cars had them (some of the 80s firebirds, cadillacs)..there's got to be a reason why companies like GM stopped using them in their cars

· Registered
554 Posts
all the OEM speedos i've seen are laggy during acceleration... I'm sure they are fine at cruising speed though

older cars had them (some of the 80s firebirds, cadillacs)..there's got to be a reason why companies like GM stopped using them in their cars

So the Lexus LFA uses a digital instrument cluster bc the analog one cannot go to redline as fast as the engine can redline....

While that may have been true in the 80s, it's a moot point now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Dafuq?
633 Posts
DOOM, thanks for the info. Those types of devices are what inspired my post. With a dedicated LCD unit (not a tablet per se) that runs off the car's 12v with specific software to read the OBDII port, I think an LCD instrument cluster would be made. However, as you said the Honda computer may not support everything needed.

I already have a tablet and have considered getting one of the bluetooth enabled OBDII plug-ins and mating that with one of the numerous tablet apps just to see what can be done. After the play period I would likely just use the OBDII plug-in for diagnostics uses.

Lastly, I like the idea of a HUD, but haven't really seen one with the reflective plastic on the window to see how distracting (or dangerous) it would be. Garmin makes a simple one that I don't believe requires the reflector (I'll have to check that again). As for the ultraguage, I like the idea and info, but haven't really decided the best place for it in the car.

Scott C.
I've look a great deal into this, basically you would need to strip your gauge cluster and take the input dial signal (tach, speedometer, etc) and translate it through say an all in one board (raspberry pi, beagleboard black, etc) running a linux/android based system and out towards a screen. The parts itself cost $300-400+ and labor (programming, fabrication) would deem this a $2k+ project, there is too great of a lag from the obd2 port to be accurate hence why you would need to tap into the direct signal.

· 2010 Honda Accord EX
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's surprising to me that the latency would be that bad from the OSD. Is that normal for all or most OSD?

Scott C.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.