Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been running the pilots for 3 years now, the treads are still capable of at least another season of driving for me, but as winter is rolling by, I just thought It would be better to replace them.

I know some of the drivers here are using Continental ExtremeContact DWS, Yokohama Envigor and these all have better noise isolation than the pilots with a bit better traction within snow, but loses the handling because of the softer sidewalls and also the yokos are 3lbs heavier than oem from what I've read in the forum.

I know that the pilots are a set of noisy tires, and would like to hear what are some of your recommendations are for replacing them(retaining the 225/50r17 if possible), I need a set that still retains the handling that the oem has provided. Any in-depth comparison from the oem to any another tire will really help me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm looking at the same issue and I'm considering two schools of thought right now:

1) Low rolling resistance.... probably Michelin Energy Saver A/S
2) Quiet, good traction all season.... probably Yokohama YK580 (only available at Discount Tire). I have them on my wife's Toyota Matrix and they're nice.

I'm hoping that once the Michelins are gone, the car will be quieter on the highway. Hopefully! I don't want to reduce gas mileage, though, and even better, I'd like to increase it. So we'll see.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at the same issue and I'm considering two schools of thought right now:

1) Low rolling resistance.... probably Michelin Energy Saver A/S
2) Quiet, good traction all season.... probably Yokohama YK580 (only available at Discount Tire). I have them on my wife's Toyota Matrix and they're nice.

I'm hoping that once the Michelins are gone, the car will be quieter on the highway. Hopefully! I don't want to reduce gas mileage, though, and even better, I'd like to increase it. So we'll see.
The only problem I have with low rolling resistance tires are the stopping distance, I drive a fair bit of highway, and there's always people that switch lanes at the very last moments, the oem pilots have saved me twice, purely from handling capability, had to swerve my car into another lane for two times to save myself, the person behind me also had to swerve out of the way. The other times were slamming the brakes.

So the YK580s are sort of the upgraded version of Envigor, if I understand correctly?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I wouldn't go with low rolling resistance. It's not worth 1-2 mpg to have reduced traction, handling, comfort while increasing noise. I think every LRR tire I've seen rates significantly lower than normal tires.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Go with NITTO MOTIVO. Very good tire on wet, dry, and light snow. Quite, best handling in conner. Got mine installed at American Tire out the door was 540.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go with NITTO MOTIVO. Very good tire on wet, dry, and light snow. Quite, best handling in conner. Got mine installed at American Tire out the door was 540.
Those are a bit harder to find in Canada, I've asked around not much places carry Nitto near me, even the one that did carry Nitto, they didn't have much choices, which is why I've resulted to picking from the major brands.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Well here is my story. I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE with 180,000 on it. I got 83,000 on the original Michelin Energy tires. At 83,000 I replaced them with Michelin Primacy tires H rated. I have 180,000 on the car now and have 4/32nds left and will be replacing them in the next few weeks with the same tire. I never had them rebalanced since they were put on. By the way I had the Hunter Road Force done on them. They ride as smooth today as they did when I had them installed. I think that the Michelin Primacy tires are the best. Yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for. Two things I dont go cheap on... Tires and brakes....

·
Registered
278 Posts
So I've been running the pilots for 3 years now, the treads are still capable of at least another season of driving for me, but as winter is rolling by, I just thought It would be better to replace them.

I know some of the drivers here are using Continental ExtremeContact DWS, Yokohama Envigor and these all have better noise isolation than the pilots with a bit better traction within snow, but loses the handling because of the softer sidewalls and also the yokos are 3lbs heavier than oem from what I've read in the forum.

I know that the pilots are a set of noisy tires, and would like to hear what are some of your recommendations are for replacing them(retaining the 225/50r17 if possible), I need a set that still retains the handling that the oem has provided. Any in-depth comparison from the oem to any another tire will really help me.
If you can get them in your size, Nitto Motivo or Kumho Ecsta 4X for all-season performance. If you are looking for a quiet ride, reasonable all-season performance and comfort, I'd say that the ContiProContact is your best bet right now. That's a great deal if you don't want to pay for Primacy MXM4s. The Primacy MXM4 is currently the best grand touring tire going.

If you are concerned about light weight that implies performance. That requires a summer performance tire like the Pilot Super Sport or ExtremeContact DW. But I suspect that you want all-season as well.

Finally, if you are looking for long tread life (approx 90k), low rolling resistance, good all-season performance, etc, and are willing to put up with a little noise, the Michelin Defender. Newer and better than the Energy Saver and other older Michelin tires that fit into the same slot. Quieter than your stock Pilots.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Stock tires are horrible.
For winter tires, snow tires general altimax.
For summer tires, BF Goodridge g force, best bang for the buck.
Get another set of rims for summer tires, and snow tires on stock rims.
You have to pay to play, all season tires do just that all seasons O K but nothing great.
Try some snow tires in snow or rain and you will see the difference.
Try some summer tires and see the handling improvements by miles.
Or get all season, and do all seasons just o K.
Pay to play.
Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well here is my story. I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE with 180,000 on it. I got 83,000 on the original Michelin Energy tires. At 83,000 I replaced them with Michelin Primacy tires H rated. I have 180,000 on the car now and have 4/32nds left and will be replacing them in the next few weeks with the same tire. I never had them rebalanced since they were put on. By the way I had the Hunter Road Force done on them. They ride as smooth today as they did when I had them installed. I think that the Michelin Primacy tires are the best. Yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for. Two things I dont go cheap on... Tires and brakes....
Thanks for the insight, I'll see if I can find them near me.

If you can get them in your size, Nitto Motivo or Kumho Ecsta 4X for all-season performance. If you are looking for a quiet ride, reasonable all-season performance and comfort, I'd say that the ContiProContact is your best bet right now. That's a great deal if you don't want to pay for Primacy MXM4s. The Primacy MXM4 is currently the best grand touring tire going.

If you are concerned about light weight that implies performance. That requires a summer performance tire like the Pilot Super Sport or ExtremeContact DW. But I suspect that you want all-season as well.

Finally, if you are looking for long tread life (approx 90k), low rolling resistance, good all-season performance, etc, and are willing to put up with a little noise, the Michelin Defender. Newer and better than the Energy Saver and other older Michelin tires that fit into the same slot. Quieter than your stock Pilots.
Thank you for the recommendations, I'll look into it. Btw which primacy mxm4 should I be looking at?

I have read through all of them, regarding my size and there's plenty of mixed messages, that's why I asked this question here, to help cut that down.

Stock tires are horrible.
For winter tires, snow tires general altimax.
For summer tires, BF Goodridge g force, best bang for the buck.
Get another set of rims for summer tires, and snow tires on stock rims.
You have to pay to play, all season tires do just that all seasons O K but nothing great.
Try some snow tires in snow or rain and you will see the difference.
Try some summer tires and see the handling improvements by miles.
Or get all season, and do all seasons just o K.
Pay to play.
Good luck.
It's not that I'm not aware of how much better snow tires are in the winter, it's just that heavy snow/ice will not stay on the roads that long around me, most get shoveled within minutes, and in the summer the accord doesn't get used as much as in the other seasons. But thank you for your recommendations.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have read through all of them, regarding my size and there's plenty of mixed messages, that's why I asked this question here, to help cut that down.
The tests themselves never lie. What do you mean by mixed messages? Do you mean you're getting mixed messages from the customer reviews? I briefly skim through those cuz they're not professinal reviews but again the tests are where it's at.

·
Registered
63 Posts
fwiw, the Michelin Primacy MXV4's 92V rating that I put on a few weeks ago also carry the "Green X" label on them which I think is the LRR designation for Michelins?

I don't see them designated anywhere on Tire Rack or Michelin's site as a Green X tire though???

Hmmm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tests themselves never lie. What do you mean by mixed messages? Do you mean you're getting mixed messages from the customer reviews? I briefly skim through those cuz they're not professinal reviews but again the tests are where it's at.
It's the comparison of the review to the customer review, some of them have a an opposite thought on both, but I do only take the customer reviews as just insights/opinions since they are not accurate, but do provide a little bit of real world thought about the tires.

fwiw, the Michelin Primacy MXV4's 92V rating that I put on a few weeks ago also carry the "Green X" label on them which I think is the LRR designation for Michelins?

I don't see them designated anywhere on Tire Rack or Michelin's site as a Green X tire though???

Hmmm
The's the problem I have, the local tire shop told me they had 4 versions of the primacy, so I have no idea which one I should be picking if that were the case.

To everyone:
On a side note, my local shop keeps on insisting me on getting the yoko envigors, it's cheaper than the oems and primacys, should I get the envigors?

·
Registered
63 Posts
To everyone:
On a side note, my local shop keeps on insisting me on getting the yoko envigors, it's cheaper than the oems and primacys, should I get the envigors?
They probably make the most on markup on the Yokos...sort of like Town Fair Tire in this neck of the woods will push Toyo even if the Michelin's were 10 bucks a tire lol

·
Registered
117 Posts

Hmmm
From the Michelin website
Green X®
The Michelin® Green X® label guarantees a level of energy efficiency among the highest in the market and reduced CO2 emission while maintaining all the legendary Michelin advantages of long wear, safety, and other performances.

It's not a separate tire model but rather a designation that Michelin puts on its' tires that have low rolling resistance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The's the problem I have, the local tire shop told me they had 4 versions of the primacy, so I have no idea which one I should be picking if that were the case.
Let me guess:

1.)Michelin Primacy MXM4 2 speed ratings H and V
2.)Michelin Primacy MXV4 2 speed ratings H and V

Are these the 4 versions of the Primacy you are referring to above? That would make it only two different tire models to look at, and you would then have to decide if you want H or V speed-rated tires. Many comments on both of these tires in other threads in this forum section (Wheels and Tires)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me guess:

1.)Michelin Primacy MXM4 2 speed ratings H and V
2.)Michelin Primacy MXV4 2 speed ratings H and V

Are these the 4 versions of the Primacy you are referring to above? That would make it only two different tire models to look at, and you would then have to decide if you want H or V speed-rated tires. Many comments on both of these tires in other threads in this forum section (Wheels and Tires)
Yeah that's what I was referring to, account for H & V being another tire all together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts