Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found in my Ipod these pictures when I was replacing the piston rings and the head gaskets in my ex- 04 V6 accord

Before

a few minutes later...

little overheating...

new piston ring and head gaskets..

Installing heads

and timing belt...

finished

·
Registered
328 Posts
The car overheated and then the head gasket blew? What made it overheat?

Was the engine open to the elements for two years like 200366HFP said?

How many miles on it?

Why did you replace the rings? Compression loss in addition to the blown head gasket?

Were the cylinder walls in good shape?

Are you driving it now? Everything is working fine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car overheated and then the head gasket blew? What made it overheat?

Was the engine open to the elements for two years like 200366HFP said?

How many miles on it?

Why did you replace the rings? Compression loss in addition to the blown head gasket?

Were the cylinder walls in good shape?

Are you driving it now? Everything is working fine?

When I bought this car the engine was already damaged, the previous owner overheated the engine and left the car parked for 2 years with water inside the engine he never opened it, this explains all that rust on the pistons rings and I had to replace them, the cylinder walls were fine just needed a little cleaning.

I bought this accord with 96000 Kilometers (60,000 miles) and when I sold it the odometer had 118,000 kilometers (73,000 miles). In this car I went to Chicago ( I am from Mexico City) The current owner is happy with the car.

Here is a video of the first start

http://youtu.be/7Ca6gXKNCuU

·
Registered
328 Posts
How did you clean the cylinder walls? Did you use a honing tool?

Did you have to machine the heads at all? Were both head gaskets blown?

I'm impressed that you did the work with the engine still in the car? Is the check engine light on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you clean the cylinder walls? Did you use a honing tool?

Did you have to machine the heads at all? Were both head gaskets blown?

I'm impressed that you did the work with the engine still in the car? Is the check engine light on?

Hello,

Yes, I polished the cylinder walls with a cylinder hone and gasoline, the two head gaskets were "burnt". The check engine light is off.

I spent 5 weekends working on it

Regards

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Jim, how can you tell that reyes' car was "sitting"?
Cylinders are sealed from the elements. Any time you see rust that bad on pistons, they've been sitting with water on them. Cylinder walls rust, rings rust, pistons don't.

I've had my Camaro sitting for over 10 years, but I put oil in the cylinders and turn the engine every couple of years, while adding more oil. But that is a car I intentionally left sitting, and prepared it to sit(and it lives in the garage). It is out of the garage now while I rebuild the Honda, and will go right back in when the Honda is done (unless I come up with a good deal on a couple turbos for the Vette).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Jim, in your experience, does it yield the same results to replace the rings pulling the engine or as shown?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I've had my Camaro sitting for over 10 years, but I put oil in the cylinders and turn the engine every couple of years, while adding more oil.
Are you adding the oil through the spark plug holes and turning by hand, or are you actually starting the car?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome work Reyes!

How did you get the pistons out with the motor in the car? Did you remove the oil pan and disconnect the connecting rods from there and push the pistons out from the top?

Did you feel that way worked well?

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Are you adding the oil through the spark plug holes and turning by hand, or are you actually starting the car?
Yes, I just turn it by hand. It would be best to periodically start the car, but I drained the gas tank and removed the hoses going to it. I was going to put a little gas in it once I get the Accord done and start it. It's a very low mileage car, but hasn't been started in over 10 years.

I would normally work on an engine pulled out of the car (I pulled the engine on my wife's Accord to replace the timing belt). A rotating stand is far easier to access everything, but isn't always feasable for everyone. The OP did what appears to be a very good job under the circumstances. I've been there, I once replaced rod bearings on a car by dropping the pan and working under the car. But I was much younger then, had less money, and didn't have a garage to work in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome work Reyes!

How did you get the pistons out with the motor in the car? Did you remove the oil pan and disconnect the connecting rods from there and push the pistons out from the top?

Did you feel that way worked well?

Thank you! Yes, I removed the oil pan, the connecting rod caps, and I tried to push the pistons out but they were so stuck so i had to hit them with a wood handle hammer.

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts