Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2012 6/6MT coupe
2012 Accord Coupe 6/6 MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a reputable shop in my area to do coilover install. Anyone in the LA area that can recommend a good shop or should any decent mechanic be able to do it?
I went with Tein Flex Z's btw. How many hours of labor should it take?

Edit: thanks for all replies I decided to do the job myself. I got the Tein's, a 25mm RSB and a magnaflow catback coming all at once so I'm gonna knock it all out in one afternoon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have I4 engine - for I4 it is something you can easily do on your own. It's probably very easy for V6 also.

For I4 you take off plastic cover on top of valve cover, disconnect electrical connectors on coils, loosen one bolt that holds coil, remove coil, install new one, replace and tighten bolt that holds down coil, replace connector, repeat 3 times, replace plastic cover. You might find it easier to replace connector before you bolt down coil. From what I've read buy OEM coils.

·
cvt - NOT
1,335 Posts
We have I4 engine - for I4 it is something you can easily do on your own. It's probably very easy for V6 also.

For I4 you take off plastic cover on top of valve cover, disconnect electrical connectors on coils, loosen one bolt that holds coil, remove coil, install new one, replace and tighten bolt that holds down coil, replace connector, repeat 3 times, replace plastic cover. You might find it easier to replace connector before you bolt down coil. From what I've read buy OEM coils.
:oops: :ROFLMAO:

·
2012 6/6MT coupe
2012 Accord Coupe 6/6 MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've decided that I'm gonna do it myself. I've never done coilovers before so I'd like to give it a try. Can't wait for them to get here!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Looking for a reputable shop in my area to do coilover install. Anyone in the LA area that can recommend a good shop or should any decent mechanic be able to do it?
Personal message sent.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
513 Posts
Coilovers are very easy to replace, and pretty hard to mess up. I’d let any decent shop do it, if I didn’t do it myself. Since those are adjustable coil overs they do need to be set up though, so you might want someone who is comfortable with aftermarket parts and adjustable suspension.

·
When will the mods stop.... or will they?
2008 Honda accord Coupe 6 speed manual
1,454 Posts
You are going to slap on a massive sway bar and use the old weak ass end links? Well done

Magnaflow cat back I have, awesome value, however On mine the drivers side pipe was sticking out 1-2" more! than the passenger side. Called the place I got it and they said not possible must be the way I installed it. Brought it to an exhaust shop and they said yep, it's made incorrectly and had to cut the pipe, flare the muffler to slip it back on and weld it back in the proper position. Just be aware if this happens to you, it's the exhaust, not you.

Furthermore, if you slap coilovers on the car and lower it, your camber will be way out front and back. You may want to look into that before you do all the work, get it aligned and realize you should have done camber adjustments also.

Front camber should be done with a new upper control arm with adjustable ball joint. Rear should be done by replacing 3 of the 4 links bars on each side.

If you don't do it, fine, but you will wear your tires out prematurely and get worse traction, braking and handling.

·
Registered
2008 LX
6 Posts

Edit: thanks for all replies I decided to do the job myself. I got the Tein's, a 25mm RSB and a magnaflow catback coming all at once so I'm gonna knock it all out in one afternoon.
Looked into Teen Flex Z, seems like they are sold out of VSB90-C1SS3 and other systems. Do you recall what part # you ordered?

·
2012 6/6MT coupe
2012 Accord Coupe 6/6 MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looked into Teen Flex Z, seems like they are sold out of VSB90-C1SS3 and other systems. Do you recall what part # you ordered?
I guess I lucked out before they were sold out. I got the VSB90-C1SS3

You are going to slap on a massive sway bar and use the old weak ass end links? Well done

Forgot to mention I got upgraded end links too!
Furthermore, if you slap coilovers on the car and lower it, your camber will be way out front and back. You may want to look into that before you do all the work, get it aligned and realize you should have done camber adjustments also.

Front camber should be done with a new upper control arm with adjustable ball joint. Rear should be done by replacing 3 of the 4 links bars on each side.

If you don't do it, fine, but you will wear your tires out prematurely and get worse traction, braking and handling.
I'm only going to lower the car enough to get rid of some wheel gap. Not sure if that is sufficient to need new Upper Control arms, but if I go lower
how about these? K-Tuned 08-12 Accord / 09-14 TSX Front Upper Camber Kit

·
When will the mods stop.... or will they?
2008 Honda accord Coupe 6 speed manual
1,454 Posts
yea I'd buy those.

As soon as you lower the car you will develop negative camber so, IMHO you should always get a front camber adjustment of some sort. Whether you need it or not is personal opinion. But in my opinion, you want the suspension geometry of the car to remain as close to factory as possible.

·
2012 6/6MT coupe
2012 Accord Coupe 6/6 MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea I'd buy those.

As soon as you lower the car you will develop negative camber so, IMHO you should always get a front camber adjustment of some sort. Whether you need it or not is personal opinion. But in my opinion, you want the suspension geometry of the car to remain as close to factory as possible.
I got the J power rear camber set ( 3 bar kit) and the K tuned Front upper camber kit. Thanks 08 v6/6. I appreciate your wisdom very much. Once all of these components arrive I'm going to have fun slapping everything on at once. Pray for no frozen bolts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts