Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Many Accords...Many Miles
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's about a 50/50 shot at the moment of my needing to resurrect my 6th gen to be back on the road fulltime. It's worst dilemma is that it has sat in the driveway for entirely too long (drove it once the past year...and I'm ashamed). Now it's time to see what needs repair to get back out there...confirmed with my local trustworthy shot they can provide a once over and estimates at no charge. (This is because Princess and Prince dared to live their own lives and leave me! :wave: )
Already known issues to tackle:
- Brakes...rotor and pads change were needed before the retirement
- Condenser Fan...replace motor
- Idle up/down...on the drive a couple of months back, the idle jumps up and down between 1k and 2.5k when sitting still
- New Battery
- General clean up and grease some hinges and moving parts
- Change out the fluids (tranny drain and fill, oil, maybe brake fluid, coolant)
- Check belts for aging

THat's about it and not bad for a just under 200k mileage 11 year old vehicle. Tranny is solid from its rebuild way back at 67k miles. Oil was not being burned before retirement.
Anyone have some other ideas on the check up to begin tomorrow?

·
6,322 Posts
Good to hear about the old girl being sent back into service. I'd make sure the intake is clear of all debris/small animals nests etc since its been sitting so long. Check all carpets for dampness also. Check the ac drainage tube. The coolant can go a long time if its the long life fluid and hasn't been contaminated with other stuff. All the other things you mentioned sound good. Esp having a 2nd set of eyes look it over.

My brother has a 93 Camry I4 140k his wife bought new delegated to 2nd car status. So yours is still a young pup comparatively. Even if it doesn't get driven much I would still drive it every few weeks on the highway for some exercise. Keep on truckin... :D

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
check the tires! make sure that dry rotting hasn't started up on them.

·
Many Accords...Many Miles
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear about the old girl being sent back into service. I'd make sure the intake is clear of all debris/small animals nests etc since its been sitting so long. Check all carpets for dampness also. Check the ac drainage tube. The coolant can go a long time if its the long life fluid and hasn't been contaminated with other stuff. All the other things you mentioned sound good. Esp having a 2nd set of eyes look it over.
- Intake...Good idea. THere's so many cats around here I don't think any critters would stand a chance but will be looking.
- Inside is dry as a bone as of last drive. It was about 10 weeks ago when I took her out (clandestine night drive since registration is currently expired) for about an hour's drive. Once jumped, all electrical worked but battery never charged enough to be able to restart car. AC ran but luke warm/cool, partly due to no condenser fan but I'm sure coolant recharge is needed...adding that to list. Last time, 92 Accord, I had one in this situation the radiator was the one bad link as it rusted at the line where the coolant level was at the top. Wondering how I will check the AC drainage tube without AC running at the moment. Also need to assure the sunroof drains are OK. BTW, all those parts (sunroof, windows, etc, all work same from when put aside).

check the tires! make sure that dry rotting hasn't started up on them.
- MAtter of fact I've been really concerned about that. They show no signs of it and are a quality set (Bridgestone LE). On that last drive, they rolled perfectly and I cannot yet detect any micro cracks on the sidewall. I may be eating those words down the road when I complain about some blowout, though.

Should have mentioned, my mother is out in Texas for the summer. She has a 2000 Accord LX with all of 45k miles on it. If I begin wondering if something doesn't seem right on my 99, I just take two steps to hers to see if it's the same. Hers still runs flawlessly.

·
5th Gear
511 Posts
I think you should go for it! That altogether sounds like a pretty cheap price for some cleanup

And CDsDontBurn, I don't know where else to say this, but OH MY GOD I love your new avatar lol

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
I think you should go for it! That altogether sounds like a pretty cheap price for some cleanup

And CDsDontBurn, I don't know where else to say this, but OH MY GOD I love your new avatar lol
click on my name and go to my user stuff and send me a message there :banana:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts