Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question to any of you who have finished a retro.

I notice that on OEM headlights, they have an aiming "nipple", dot, or plastic bump dead center in front of the bulb. Does this affect the cutoff/light output at all?

I can't remember if it was DA or hidplanet, but I swear someone made a thread with pictures talking about the same thing. I spent 30 minutes looking through both sites but found nothing.

I'm going to be doing a Mini H1 retro soon, so if this is a concern, I'd like to prepare for it.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Never had a problem with it. Well, from what I can see. What do you think?

I guess it really depends on the cutoff hitting that dot or not.. but I aimed mine to a comfortable height and it looks okay so far. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that I saw tons of 7th gen retro images but didn't really see any problems. This is my first retro and I'm kinda paranoid. :paranoid:

I know somethings will go wrong that are out of my control. Just trying to have as many bases covered as possible. :thmsup:

EDIT:

I think I barely remember that the person who did it was retroing TSX or FX projectors and perhaps had them mounted in the right spot where the cutoff would hit the dot. Looks like nobody who is using the Mini H1's are having these problems.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yeah, I remember FollowingNFront mentioning something about his headlights having a blur in them too.

I think I know what thread you're talking about on HIDplanet. I can't seem to find it either.

I don't think you would run into any problems with the Morimotos. Just do itt. :D

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i agree with tommy. just do it. i havent seen any pics that shows the dot even remotely close to distorting the projector

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
I didn't have that issue with my FXR's or my TSX's -- so, i'd say not to worry about it. It'd probably be a slim chance that most projectors might hit it.

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
2,977 Posts
I am actually the one who made the post on HIDP. I have had this problem 2 times. It is not the actual aiming mark itself, its the area around it that is like a dimple. All you have to do to make sure it doesnt happen is after you aim and are ready to close, put the headlight lens in place without heating up and fire it up. Also, if you hold that dimple up to a light, you will be able to see it distort light or a straight edge. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am actually the one who made the post on HIDP. I have had this problem 2 times. It is not the actual aiming mark itself, its the area around it that is like a dimple. All you have to do to make sure it doesnt happen is after you aim and are ready to close, put the headlight lens in place without heating up and fire it up. Also, if you hold that dimple up to a light, you will be able to see it distort light or a straight edge. Does that make sense?
So you're saying, once I get my aiming right, put the lense on, line it up so the cutoff isn't passing through the dimple, and thats the position I'd want the lense in when I bake/heat gun it together?

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
2,977 Posts
So you're saying, once I get my aiming right, put the lense on, line it up so the cutoff isn't passing through the dimple, and thats the position I'd want the lense in when I bake/heat gun it together?
Not exactly. So get all of your aiming done without the lens. Once you know you have it right, before you actually heat up the lens and housing and clamp it back together, literally just place the lens and housing together (without heating it up) and fire on the projectors. You cannot change how the lens sits and it is inevitable that the light beam will pass through the circle. The reason I say to do this is because you will find out if the lens will distort the beam or not. If there is not distortion, close up, if there is, find a new lens or headlight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts