Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Retroactive Reimbursement for 2004 V6 Transmission Recall possible?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Barry513 
#1 · (Edited)
In August 2009 I had my transmission replaced at the dealer due to a catastrophic failure. It had around 39K on the odometer which was a few thousand miles out of the warranty period. Honda goodwill program picked up half the cost of the transmission which means my out of pocket was around $2K. I see that the recall for this was issued on April 27, 2004 so I'm unclear why I would have to pay anything. Is it possible to get reimbursed the 2K that I spent on the replacement?

Thanks

#3 ·
Recall Details
Honda and Acura are recalling numerous 2001–2004 vehicles to inspect for an internal automatic transmission fault. This fault could result in gear failure, which can cause the transmission to lock up. If the transmission were to lock up with the vehicle in motion, a crash could result. If the inspection reveals internal transmission damage, the transmission will be replaced. If no internal damaged is noted, the transmission oil cooler return line will be revised in order to increase fluid flow. For more information, please call Honda at 1-800-999-1009 or Acura at 1-800-382-2238.
Affected Cars

Honda Accord
, 2004

Drive Train, April 27, 2004
Original Recall from the NHTSA
Manufacturer's Report Date
April 27, 2004
NHTSA Action Number
N/A
Potential Number of Units Affected
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number
04V176000
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Summary
ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.
Consequence
GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy
ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
Notify

#4 ·
So the questions are:
Is your VIN affected? Did you enter your VIN into the NHTSA search and see if your specific car is affected?

What was the dealer's explanation for why your transmission failed?

Reactions: Barry513
#5 ·
Are you the original owner? If so, did you take your car in for an inspection of the transmission? Honda would have sent you a recall notice. If you did, what were their inspection findings (If trans was bad, it would have been replaced at that time. If it wasn't bad, just a transmission cooler would have been installed)? If you didn't, why not?

If you're not the original owner, yeah... no dice.

#9 ·
You are correct. I glossed over it too quickly.

Thinking about ordering a CarFax to see if the original owner did anything about the recall but it may be a moot point. If the transmission cooler or even a complete transmission was replaced would I have a valid claim?

By the way, I don't recall what the dealer said regarding the transmission failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.